3DCoat Forums

Fabricio Torres`sketchbook

Fabricio Torres

Hi all,

I heard about 3D-Coat some months ago, mostly because the guys at work were saying it was a great retopology tool. As a topogun fan, I never tested it but then version 3 came and I decided to try it in a statue I'm working on right now.

The hellboy retopology took me one whole evening (I was learning the program after all) and may have some flaws, but I'm extremely happy with it and I don't wanna use anything else from now on...

(The Hand of Doom was - badly - sculpted in the existing body using voxels, but after a retopology and some - hundreds - tweaks in XSI it was done. Too bad I don't have the original voxel tool to show you guys. I'm sorry...)

post-1880-1250216844_thumb.jpg

And finaly, the very first complete sculpt I did using voxels (besides loads of little sketches here and there). Took me two nights to go through a ball to this stage, and it's pure 3D-Coat, no imported mesh, and sculpted directly into the final pose. I could go further in the subdivision, but I don't want to mess with voxels for detailing right now so I'm gonna make a brand new topology for this big fella and finalize him in Zbrush.

post-1880-1250216831_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with the results I had so far and 3D-coat is rapidly becoming part of my workflow, not to mention the smile in my face due to voxel sculpting. I can doodle the entire day and I don't get bored... it's amazing :)

• Advanced Member
Thanks bro :D

Here's the wireframe of the gorilla body.

99.9% quads :p

post-1880-1250225131_thumb.jpg

Great stuff both in and out of 3dc!

The retopo tools are what pulled me in originally as well. Once the voxels got added it was sculpting heaven! 3dc is becoming a bigger part of my modeling process all around!

Thanks guys! :drinks:

Hey James, it was Minky who introduced me to 3D-Coat. I work at DE.

Here is a doodle I did yesterday in a couple of hours.

It was made in the pose and lacks refinement.

No base mesh, as usual (go voxels!) :D

post-1880-1250601795_thumb.jpg

very nice!

• Advanced Member

Hi Fabricio, not surprised there - Mynki likes to try on all the cool tools =]

I think someone pointed out to me that you were at DE when we were looking at your Hulk model awhile back.

Love your version of Hulk... it's one of my faves.

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers

Thanks a lot guys.

@James: Minky is the one! I hope he starts making something on 3Dcoat as well. Thanks for the compliment by the way :)

@ Taros: For the pose you can google "Rhythmic Ball Routine". It's part of their show to be on a similar pose. Any Cirque du Soleil video will have loads of poses on this same manner..

Here is what I made tonight. Not too much. Hair was made using "spike" brush.

post-1880-1250657744_thumb.jpg

Regards

Fabricio

Thanks a lot guys.

@James: Minky is the one! I hope he starts making something on 3Dcoat as well. Thanks for the compliment by the way :)

@ Taros: For the pose you can google "Rhythmic Ball Routine". It's part of their show to be on a similar pose. Any Cirque du Soleil video will have loads of poses on this same manner..

Here is what I made tonight. Not too much. Hair was made using "spike" brush.

post-1880-1250657744_thumb.jpg

Regards

Fabricio

Thanx.

The last step is beautiful, really great shot of the pose. I have the feeling you begin to like the freedom of the tool, right? :)

• Advanced Member

excellent work :) its gonna be pretty tough getting any more detail than what you have in that last sculpt but it looks excellent anyway...in fact I kinda liked it when it was all rough and clay like at the beginning - would make a great printed model!

Thank everyone!

@Taros: I liked the freedom since I started doodling with it. :) I used it for sketches, it was fun, but as you can see, I'm trying to go further this time.

@GED: I extracted the head and hair as sublayers in order to be able to subdivide them a little more and merge them all in the end. I think this will allow me to add more details. Let's see.

Heres a little update in between breakfast and work. I made a rough blouse (I wonder if she just woke up and is stretching a bit :unsure: ) and had the idea of extracting the head and hair as separate pieces as I mentioned. Fixed some volumes and worked on the hands... that's all. Will post something with more work on it next time :p

post-1880-1250687664_thumb.jpg

Thank everyone!

@Taros: I liked the freedom since I started doodling with it. :) I used it for sketches, it was fun, but as you can see, I'm trying to go further this time.

@GED: I extracted the head and hair as sublayers in order to be able to subdivide them a little more and merge them all in the end. I think this will allow me to add more details. Let's see.

Heres a little update in between breakfast and work. I made a rough blouse (I wonder if she just woke up and is stretching a bit :unsure: ) and had the idea of extracting the head and hair as separate pieces as I mentioned. Fixed some volumes and worked on the hands... that's all. Will post something with more work on it next time :p

post-1880-1250687664_thumb.jpg

Hey Fabricio. Why don't you sculpt the shirt completely straight and try the cloth function in 3DCoat?

See Att.

post-955-1250763226_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

I tried the cloth as you suggested and i'm really happy with the results. It's not as "artistic"as doing it by hand, but gives me a nice start for sure. It's just a matter of doing adjustments now.

I think this is the end of this model in 3dcoat, as I don't see myself subdividing it more. I'd rather retopologyse it and continue on zbrush...

post-1880-1251005076_thumb.jpg

I also want to share my very first voxel sculpt. I took an old model and started designing the rest of the statue. I apologize for the raw look of it, but I felt quite happy with the results as I wasn't used to the program ( and still I could design the whole aspect of the final piece in a couple of hours.)

post-1880-1251005144_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Thanks guys

I tried the cloth as you suggested and i'm really happy with the results. It's not as "artistic"as doing it by hand, but gives me a nice start for sure. It's just a matter of doing adjustments now.

I think this is the end of this model in 3dcoat, as I don't see myself subdividing it more. I'd rather retopologyse it and continue on zbrush...

post-1880-1251005076_thumb.jpg

I also want to share my very first voxel sculpt. I took an old model and started designing the rest of the statue. I apologize for the raw look of it, but I felt quite happy with the results as I wasn't used to the program ( and still I could design the whole aspect of the final piece in a couple of hours.)

post-1880-1251005144_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, indeed! Not being a Zbrush user, I wonder why 3DC's Paint does not offer sufficient latitude. Is it because you are completely familiar with the Zb toolset and uses?