3DCoat Forums

Sad dog

ShnitzelKiller

• Contributor
Sad_dog_by_ShnitzelKiller.png

Any comments/suggestions? I want some advice on what brushes are best for what, and so on... I used a lot of the clay brush on this guy, and 2D paint to make the base shape. so... what do you think so far?

He may be sad because he wants a good reference picture. This would permit a more accurate anatomy. He looks like a hound of some sort. Good luck with the ears. ;)

Having an idea of the skeletal structure and muscle anatomy helps a lot.

Here's something you could try

1 = Block out the basic form / silhowette, like you have here.

2= Take a look a some anatomy reference, and just sketch all the muscles over the surface. Don't bother too much with smoothing it out at this point. Quick and dirty.

3= Blend the muscles, and you should have something closer to life.

4= keep tweaking till it looks more and more realistic.

• Advanced Member

This is looking really nice. There does look to be something off about the proportions, but that can be fixed pretty easily at this stage. The sillouette is definitely canine though, so you're definitely on the right track. Very nice sleepy look on the muzzle, it might be a little early to get so detailed though. You could cut off the head to another layer to preserve the detail you have while you tweak the body, then merge later.

• Advanced Member
This is looking really nice. There does look to be something off about the proportions, but that can be fixed pretty easily at this stage. The sillouette is definitely canine though, so you're definitely on the right track. Very nice sleepy look on the muzzle, it might be a little early to get so detailed though. You could cut off the head to another layer to preserve the detail you have while you tweak the body, then merge later.

I already cut off a certain other piece... I'd get banned if I showed it to you though.

Anyway, I'll give that muscle structure a try.

EDIT: I'll use this as a reference!

baloon-dog-anatomy.jpg

EDIT: Is the rapid brush good for muscles?

Sad_Dog_2_by_ShnitzelKiller.png

Well, I've got his muscles in a really creepy sort of way... what should I do, just smooth them or flatten them?

Like this

Basic shape

rough out the anatomy

smooth it out

pinch to make it sharp

post-1851-1250814608_thumb.png

What you have now is looking much better.

I would normally use a harder edge brush to block out the muscles. They come out more flat, less blobby. I find this kind of hard to do in 3D coat, so instead I cut the outlines in to the surface. It keeps the flatness I want this way, later go over the the muscles lightly with some other brushes to round them out a bit.

• Advanced Member
Like this

Basic shape

rough out the anatomy

smooth it out

pinch to make it sharp

post-1851-1250814608_thumb.png

What you have now is looking much better.

I would normally use a harder edge brush to block out the muscles. They come out more flat, less blobby. I find this kind of hard to do in 3D coat, so instead I cut the outlines in to the surface. It keeps the flatness I want this way, later go over the the muscles lightly with some other brushes to round them out a bit.

I used the rapid brush, it's quite hard-edged. In fact, pinching is exactly what I did as well to get sharp borders. Anyway, I'll do more tweaking.

Sad_Dog_3_by_ShnitzelKiller.png

Maybe I'll go for a freakish look, then he's got a reason to be sad.

The surface clay brushes are good, I like their effect better than the voxel version. Problem for me is, they make the program crash too often on my computer, so kind of afraid to use them.

Often when the surface sculpt converts to voxels, I get a bunch of spikes on the mesh or long lines sticking out of it, and the program crashes.

Degrading the surface once or twice at the start helps a lot. It makes the brushes work faster.

I'll make the base shape, degrade and do what I can with that. Increase resolution when ready for more detail.

I'd make the muscles less thick at this point, have more subtle transitions.

• Advanced Member
The surface clay brushs are good I like their effect better than the voxel version. Problem for me is, they make the program crash too often on my computer, so kind of afraid to use them.

Often when the surface sculpt converts to voxels, I get a bunch of spikes on the mesh or long lines sticking out of it, and the program crashes.

I found that degrading the surface helps a lot, makes the brushes work faster. I degrade, do what I can with that and increase resolution when I'm ready for more detail.

I get spikes a lot, that's certainly true. But it doesn't crash for me...

The surface clay brushes are good, I like their effect better than the voxel version. Problem for me is, they make the program crash too often on my computer, so kind of afraid to use them.

It won't stop crashes, but at least don't forget to have Auto-save on. I have mine set to 15 minutes, but you could do even less time if you want.

• Advanced Member

Hi GabeM

I think there's something wrong with your CUDA driver.

When working with sf.Clay tool in "voxel representation", 3DC does surface to voxel conversion after each stroke.

This surface to voxel conversion uses CUDA in CUDA versions of 3DC.

To confirm this issue, you can test sf.Clay tool in non-CUDA version of 3DC to see if it still crashes a lot.

If it's really caused by the CUDA driver, I suggest you reinstall the driver, in a clean way:

1. uninstall display driver using the official uninstaller

2. reboot in safe-mode, run Driver Sweeper to clean out all the nvidia files

3. after cleaning, reboot in normal mode and install new driver.

Or you can switch to surface representation of your voxel model for using with surface tools

then switch back to voxel representation after surface sculpting.

In such way the surface-voxel conversion will calculate only one time.

akira.

My system doesn't have CUDA that I know of, so I installed the version of 3dC v3 with no cuda.

My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS, it came with the computer.

• Advanced Member
I used the rapid brush, it's quite hard-edged. In fact, pinching is exactly what I did as well to get sharp borders. Anyway, I'll do more tweaking.

Sad_Dog_3_by_ShnitzelKiller.png

Maybe I'll go for a freakish look, then he's got a reason to be sad.

A hint...don't let your skills decide what kind of dog you'll sculpting. If it doesn't look the way you like don't say..."okay now I'll go for a freakish look" that's the easy way. Try to reach your goal! Take as much references as you can get. Put them in 3DC and you will see whats wrong. Never give up tweaking until it looks like the dog you had in mind...And believe me it will cost a hundreds of digital dogs lifes before you are satisfied. Trust me, there are hundreds of heads in my cellar :D

And the most important thing...believe in yourself! If you think you never can do a good dog in 3DC, you never will. But be critical to your self and follow the crits of the experienced users...

Have fun!

Rene

• 1 year later...

you just made my day !

Making a realistic dog sure is tough, if you're limited to Google images for reference. I'd do better if I owned a dog. My sample is an o.k. character dog, but realism is lacking (a steroid freaky look, Krypto? And the ears are perky, but wrong).

I don't see how pinch is useful; I make a mound that is slightly too large (with muscle or snake or even an elipsoid primitive) and then airbrush or CRTL + build it down to shape (i.e., whittle). I used X, Y and Z axis backdrops, working the curves tool against them for basic shape, then took liberties with them.

Good luck!

post-6557-0-18921100-1309195510_thumb.jp