3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Look this (rigs manipulations) - http://bit.ly/tTot6

Yes, this is very exciting. Andrew the video was great but could you please explain a bit more about this rigging feature. For example, will you be able to sculpt on the rig and then repose it at any time? Is the rig "Separate" from the voxels? Can you "change" the shape of the rig after you have done some sculpting on it? Many more questions. Thanks:)

Hi Andrew,

I am playin with voxels & the rapid tool, trying to build my shapes fast, but it seems to always crash 3D COAT. I use it 2-3 minutes and then 3d coat freezes.

Could there be any workaround in next release ?

Anyway I'm pleased with the new tools & the coming ones.

Thanx for your support

• Advanced Member
some nice things are going on...Andrew is building riggable curves...see his twitter feed. Looks great!

THX Andrew!

Looks fantastic... This would require a posable symmetry feature to come with it, no?

• Advanced Member
This new 'rigging' thing for 3DC looks a bit too much like ZSphere 2's capabilities, it's awfully close to a ripoff which could cause unwanted legal problems.

/ Magnus

It's really just a refinement of the curve tool, which is actually closer to what the original zspheres could do. Unless I missed something from the vid, this tool probably disappears once you commit to the voxel shape you want to sculpt, much like the curve tool does now no?

To be more like zspheres2 it would need the ability to stay persistent, to deform the voxel mesh at any point during sculpting, reconnect back into itself, etc. Also, being a voxel-specific implementation makes it nothing like zspheres in the end - 2 different approaches towards a similar goal. If it could do all that stuff it would actually be better than zspheres because ultimately they are just an abstraction needed to approximate what the final sculpt surface would be. Voxels do away with that and just let you sculpt. Really all you need is the ability to pose them. My own opinion of course.

• Advanced Member
This new 'rigging' thing for 3DC looks a bit too much like ZSphere 2's capabilities, it's awfully close to a ripoff which could cause unwanted legal problems.

/ Magnus

I don't think it works like that in the technological world. I think only if you steal certain algorithms but since 3dCoat works in a much different manner than Zbrush I don't it being a problem - no legal expert at all though. Well anyway Andrew might as well throw in some animation features eh! That would sweet. :yahoo: lolz don't throw ur shoe at me that would be mean

I don't think it works like that in the technological world. I think only if you steal certain algorithms but since 3dCoat works in a much different manner than Zbrush I don't it being a problem - no legal expert at all though.

You are precisely correct. There is nothing to worry about on the topic. If anyone has anything further to add on the topic, please do so in a different (newly created) thread.

• Advanced Member
Look this (rigs manipulations) - http://bit.ly/tTot6

Yes, this is very exciting. Andrew the video was great but could you please explain a bit more about this rigging feature. For example, will you be able to sculpt on the rig and then repose it at any time? Is the rig "Separate" from the voxels? Can you "change" the shape of the rig after you have done some sculpting on it? Many more questions. Thanks:)

hope he finds a way to seperate it so you can sculpt different layers of voxels to it easily without the voxels adversely interacting with one another. About the reposing thing that would extremely impressive but I wouldn't count on cuz voxels still smush into one another when moved. I mean I guess it would still be possible in a destructable kind of workflow situation. I'm not an expert aahhh!

• Advanced Member
hope he finds a way to seperate it so you can sculpt different layers of voxels to it easily without the voxels adversely interacting with one another. About the reposing thing that would extremely impressive but I wouldn't count on cuz voxels still smush into one another when moved. I mean I guess it would still be possible in a destructable kind of workflow situation. I'm not an expert aahhh!

Very true... Like, evidently it is these voxels' nature that each voxel wants to blend in with its neighbor. I too am not an expert at all, but maybe for the future (just fantasizing at the top of my head) this could be done by painting surface areas on the volume where you don't want to have blend with its neighboring areas, like a weightmap with a falloff value... Dunno how possible this could be, like I said, I'm just a layman but Andrew might make this a possibility one day, who knows...

• Contributor

mmm. I personally don't see the relavence in comparing the similarty of new curve features to ZSpheres, ZSpheres are spheres by definition with Bridging volumes The curve tool is simply manipulation of curves (which are either spline based or hard edged) by definition something completely different. yes the result may appear similar, the only similarity I see is the display of the control points as spheres (Which will undoubtidly give the tool a similar feel), but at the end of the day its goiung to be a sure fire quick way of getting a more detailed base down fast to take further with the sculpting tools, Which is what Voxels are all about. I say Bravo. :clapping:

It would be great if every voxel object remember position and rotation of its axis. Without it is nearly unreal to manage complex hard surface model.

I'd like to be able to just center the manipulator to the object or new primitive. Unless there's an option I missed most of the time I have to zoom out to find the maniputlator and then move it to the object selected. This happens if you set the object to global space which is necessary most of the time for symmetry. I can't find a way to recenter the axis to the object after that.

• Contributor
1 - will be done some day, but really not so easy because introducing multiple selection will make more complex handling of many existing operations.

Nothing needs to be selected simultaneously. :)

Just adding a button to put layer name in a list.

User would just Tag voxel layer with a Tag option in voxtree rmb menu.

Tag option would just queue the layer name in a list.

Then when user select "delete" or "move to" :3DC batch work the tag list ,repeating the action on each voxel layers in the list.

"Please wait while 3DCoat proceed batch action on tagged layers".

In voxtree rmb menu would also have a "clear tags" button,that would empty queue list

....I think :huh:

• Contributor
Nothing needs to be selected simultaneously. :)

Just adding a button to put layer name in a list.

User would just Tag voxel layer with a Tag option in voxtree rmb menu.

Tag option would just queue the layer name in a list.

Then when user select "delete" or "move to" :3DC batch work the tag list ,repeating the action on each voxel layers in the list.

"Please wait while 3DCoat proceed batch action on tagged layers".

In voxtree rmb menu would also have a "clear tags" button,that would empty queue list

....I think :huh:

Use the tag option sugessted and include some new options in R Click menu 'Move Selected too , 'Merge Selected to' , 'Subtract Selected from' would be even simpler. but i suppose its just another bunch of stuff in the Right click menu

• Contributor

Also MOST IMPORTANT tag option should be assign to a hotkey.

This way it would simulate selection.Actually...it is the only way to simulate selection.

Without a hotkey thhis whole thing would be a useless feature.Very stupid of me to forgot to write :fool: .

In all it means:

-when next action is performed :move to,delete,flip ect...

-batch work of this action will occur for all tagged layers.

If tag list is empty action only occur for selected layer.

• Contributor

Ah Why not just add a check box to the vox tree layers so user can check it there rather than use the right Mouse menu, Sorry Artman I miss read your post I thought that is what you where suggesting, then you could simply have an uncheck all function directly in the vox tree itself without the need of right mouse menu. It is a little busy there :-)

• Contributor
Ah Why not just add a check box to the vox tree layers so user can check it there rather than use the right Mouse menu, Sorry Artman I miss read your post I thought that is what you where suggesting, then you could simply have an uncheck all function directly in the vox tree itself without the need of right mouse menu. It is a little busy there :-)

Yeah a checkbox would be even better than a hotkey. :)

Updated to 3.1.04 (only Win for now, osx, Linux - slightly later, possibly tomorrow)

Changes:

- Massive improvements in curves tool. Curves got 4 modes: extrude, move, rotate, scale to build mesh base rapidly and have very good control over the curve.

- Moving points in curve tool improved - if you will click and drag point handler will not appear but point will be moved in screen space. You can constraint movements with keys 'X', 'Y', 'Z' or using combination of them.

- New checker in curve tool - "Stick to ground" to fit curve better to the surface if need

- Full support of Drag&drop of files from explorer to 3D-Coat done. You can open or merge 3B files, models for painting and voxeling, create pens, assign reference images, create new layrs with texture, create materials, masks, fill fields with filenames. You can drop directly to viewport, then you will be asked how to use object or drop image/object to specific place like materials/pens/masks palette to perform action immediately without questions. Drag&drop supports dropping images not only from file explorer but from web too! For example find some image in google images and drop directly to 3DC without saving it to file!

- I improved cutting of with lasso in voxel room - use CTRL+SHIFT to cut off what is beyond lasso.

- fixed: incorrect preview of fill mode in microvertex painting

- fixed: sometimes splitting face in retopo tool resulted with 2 faces in different retopo groups.

- fixed incorrect combining retopo layers with Shift+Drag

Curves changes are not final - some additional changes are required there. I am trying to make it really perfect.

• Advanced Member

Amazing job with the curve tool! My only small request would be for a checkbox to turn off the manipulator permanently. Between the Q and E keys with extra modifier key control that's all I need. The manipulator still shows up occasionally right now even as I try to work without it. Really awesome work though. You just made the curve tool much more useful to me. Thanks!

• Advanced Member

The improvement of the curve tool are fantastic. I'm wondering if a 'rope mode' is hard to achieve (you define 1 or multiple anchor points, move another curve point, and the remaining part of the curve move like a flexible rope...