3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member

What happened to rotational snapping in the uv Preview window? It was there a couple of releases ago by holding shift or ctrl I can't remember..

Will it make it back in?

p.s. also how do we deselect all shells? My instinct is to click on empty space...

p.p.s. Is there a way to blend between ABF++ & LSCM?

p.p.p.s anyone?

Couldn't you technically bring your current model into voxel sculpting, make your changes and then go back into retopo, "use low res mesh", and then snap-to the new voxel sculpt, or use the brush / move to adjust the points that aren't on the voxel surface. And... if you've made really significant changes... you can delete a few polys in the area you changed, and remake them.

the hugest benefit of that whole thing is that you don't have to re-uv everything.

(...)

anyway.... I agree with what you said. But if you really just wanted to eliminate the need to retopo from scratch, maybe my suggestion helps? I dunno! - peace!

Hey, this is a really nice suggestion, for whatever reason I hadn't thought about using `use low res mesh` for retopoing from voxels :blush: Anyways, I still have some gripes with voxel sculpting, it's truely awesome for its topology-independence but in the bottom end it's just a bitmap canvas that uses 3D pixels. Sure, pixels are awesome and we all love photoshop, but right now 3DC voxels don't have anywhere near the same functionality of advanced 2D softwares. For instance, if I have a new layer in a 2D app it's easy to blend it with the layers below without losing its independence, its ability to be edited isolated. In 3DC's voxel mode if I have a separate layer I can only blend it by merging it with the other layer.

The curve tool is great and much improved now since the last time I've tried it, but I still find exceedingly hard to have a single curve armature for the whole skeleton (meaning I need to use the curve tool multiple times), and once I commit it to voxels, that's it. There's no way to pose the survace by their originating curves/armature as you can do with zspheres2 for instance.

So all in all I believe 3DC's voxels are getting there, just not yet. Of course that's just my impression and I'd love to be corrected if I'm way off, I'm also pretty aware that for certain applications (like rapid prototyping) voxels spank polygon-based technology easily.

In 3DC's voxel mode if I have a separate layer I can only blend it by merging it with the other layer.

Here's a thought on that. Say you have Layer 1 (main object) and layer 2 (smaller object) and you want to blend layer 2 into layer 1. Select layer 2 and use the Copy tool to copy voxels from Layer 1 to 2 around the area where you want to blend. Now you can blend the layer 2 object with the new voxels you created and with both layers visible it should look like one object. I did something like this in my speed sculpting video, except I used the copy tool first, then created the ear for the character.

Also by doing this you can have the two layers at different resolutions.

• Contributor

Here's a thought on that. Say you have Layer 1 (main object) and layer 2 (smaller object) and you want to blend layer 2 into layer 1. Select layer 2 and use the Copy tool to copy voxels from Layer 1 to 2 around the area where you want to blend. Now you can blend the layer 2 object with the new voxels you created and with both layers visible it should look like one object. I did something like this in my speed sculpting video, except I used the copy tool first, then created the ear for the character.

http://vimeo.com/6739821

Also by doing this you can have the two layers at different resolutions.

I also have a video devoted to this on my Vimeo Channel HERE Last page 2nd to last video I believe. once copy tool has been used the edges can be smoothed on a low Depth setting to almost completelye remove the seam.

I also have a video devoted to this on my Vimeo Channel HERE Last page 2nd to last video I believe. once copy tool has been used the edges can be smoothed on a low Depth setting to almost completelye remove the seam.

Yeah your webinar is where I got the idea. :)

• Advanced Member

I doubt the usability of the 3.1.0.9 build especially when there are so many regressive bugs involved especially with retopology. The attachment illustrates how 3.1.0.9 splits rings in symmetry mode. An example scene file with capture .mp4's are here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5g3vuy

post-1633-12550113416934_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

And here's another thing that is very frustrating; How does one create multiple UV sets and why is it only restricted to the UV room and doesn't exist in retopo and why is it so damn poorly documented that I need to ask how it is done???

That's where you choose which UV map you're working with. So far I see this with imports, I haven't figured out how to create multiple UV maps from the Retopo room.

2007-10-08_0404.png

??????????????

And here's another thing that is very frustrating; How does one create multiple UV sets and why is it only restricted to the UV room and doesn't exist in retopo and why is it so damn poorly documented that I need to ask how it is done???

??????????????

Now you can't create new UV-sets, only use existing.

I doubt the usability of the 3.1.0.9 build especially when there are so many regressive bugs involved especially with retopology. The attachment illustrates how 3.1.0.9 splits rings in symmetry mode. An example scene file with capture .mp4's are here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5g3vuy

Really... Seems it happens only when symmetry plane is enabled. All works as expected when it is turned off. I will fix it asap.

• Contributor

Has anybody found a way to make multiple UVs? Im beginning to think its not possible and that 3d coat is just supporting multiple UVs.

Working over support of multiple uv-sets in UV tool

Support of multiple UV - sets in UV tool done

That pretty much says it :)

• Contributor

What about multiple uv-sets in retopo tool - you always had it.

Follow this workflow:

- retopo part of the mesh

- merge in scene in some way

you have got 1 uv-set

- retopo part of the mesh

- merge in scene in some way

you have got 2-nd uv-set

Go to UV tools if you want to correct it.

Now that's a pretty good trick 8)

Yeah I never thought of doing it like that, I'll have to try it. I wonder about something like if you wanted a torso to have a separate map from the head and neck. Wouldn't there be a gap between the two parts like this? I will have to try and see.