3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

Updated to 3.1.10

Changes:

- Padding after merging retopo->per pixel improved. Sometimes there was problems with dark edges.

- Separate retopo groups will be merged to separame materials (surfaces) instead of separate objects(layers) while merging in scene. It works much better with LW.

- Fixed edge ring issue in retopo tool with enabled symmetry.

- Cap tool improved - with right click or SHIFT+LMB it will close holes without adding central point.

- Sometimes if huge ref mesh is imported and UV tab pressed big lag happens. I made prevention of the problem.

- Numerical fields in primitives tool was not editable

- Cube primitive manipulator improved

- Hot key hints (if assigned) on top panel (Verts/Edges/Faces/Islands/...) in UV tool was looking really strange.

• Advanced Member

What about multiple uv-sets in retopo tool - you always had it.

Follow this workflow:

- retopo part of the mesh

- merge in scene in some way

you have got 1 uv-set

- retopo part of the mesh

- merge in scene in some way

you have got 2-nd uv-set

Go to UV tools if you want to correct it.

Tried this and the only way I was able to get this to work was with the merge using direct paint. You are able to name UV sets this way. I was not able to get it to work with microvertex painting. I ended up with two default UVs sets and when exported only one map was exported.

This is still not exactly the ideal way to make multiple UVs because even getting it to work in direct painting upon export the model is not welded together. I may be wrong in my thinking though.

once copy tool has been used the edges can be smoothed on a low Depth setting to almost completelye remove the seam.

Sure a cool technique, but you get topology-constrained in the bottom (base) layer. If you ever touch up the base in that region, the seam will instantly show up.

I thought the whole idea behind voxels was that we'd get topology independence. Andrew, any chance we'll get a seamless layers blend mode in the future, something like an alpha channel for 2D programs? Think about it, we'd be able to move an ear or limb all around the base head or body and always get a smooth blend :) I imagine it'd be a problem to preserve details along the blended areas, which would require manual touch up, but it'd already be a huge step forward.

"-All rectangle selection modes will work in UV preview window"

Is this meant to be only in the UV Room or in the Retopo room too? I'm looking at the rectangle selection modes and they all have X's over them and I can't click them. I see stuff like this and get excited, then find it doesn't work. The Retopo room is where we need these kinds of tools because that where you create the map. Normals and color get baked using those maps so if you go and tweak it later in the UV room it messes up those textures.

Updated to 3.1.11

Changes:

- Found and fixed important bug that caused disabling of auto-mapping and importing models without UV in 3.1.10 because of other previous fix.

- Barelief tool done - it will do shadow projection of the half-volume along some axis. It is important for jewelry.

- fixed: incorrect edge ring split preview in ortho mode.

Excuse for frequent updates, first point in list was the main reason of this update, issue seems to b critical.

• Contributor

Excuse for frequent updates, first point in list was the main reason of this update, issue seems to b critical.

on the contrary, Andrew, another big Thank you. I sent a load of theBug reports last night and that was my main concern.

Updated to 3.1.11

- Barelief tool done - it will do shadow projection of the half-volume along some axis. It is important for jewelry.

is there a demo vid by anyusers showing this tool in action?

ALSO concerning working with UVs.. I hav not dont this in 3dcoat and in general I am pretty weak at doing uv layouts(i dont work in game industry)

but i would like to know how to/improve my abilities so is there a "zero to hero" guide anywhere on this forum on how to start off with making/working uvs in 3dc?

maybe this could be a great online webinar class too

2D Paint brush getting slow after 3-4 minutes of painting heavy-duty dirt/scratches on lowpoly model imported for perpixel painting: speed decreases dramatically - 3D-Coat begins to page strokes to disk? - I have to wait a little before strokes take effect. Scratches painting is also slow on 2048x2048 texture, 0.60 radius can't do continuous line(simulating stratched metal)

v3.1.07 trial CUDA on NVIDA GTX280 1GB, system RAM 4GB RAM, 4GB pagefile.

Clone brush leaves artifacts sometimes across UV border of two neighboring polygroups, can be deleted however.

• Advanced Member
Tried this and the only way I was able to get this to work was with the merge using direct paint. You are able to name UV sets this way. I was not able to get it to work with microvertex painting. I ended up with two default UVs sets and when exported only one map was exported.

This is still not exactly the ideal way to make multiple UVs because even getting it to work in direct painting upon export the model is not welded together. I may be wrong in my thinking though.

I've been trying this too and get the same problems. I want to have a separate 2k map for my characters head and another for the body. I'll probably have to work on both parts separately and stitch things back together in Lightwave.

Is there a function to straighten points or edges in UV and retopo for x,y,z axis? Sorry haven't seen buttons in UV/retopo to align them to axis. Maybe hidden?

Yes for UV mode, no for retopo mode.

You must be in edge mode to use them, in the UV tab. They are:

To Line. This works from the beginning and end points of your selection.

Equidistant. This will do the same as "To Line", but will also snap the vertices distances equally.

Horizontal. Snaps your selection horizontally.

Vertical. Snaps your selection vertically.

• Advanced Member

Equidistant. This will do the same as "To Line", but will also snap the vertices distances equally.

Thank you master sensei :)

edge loop function for retopo feature request!

Thank you master sensei :)

edge loop function for retopo feature request!

3D-せんせい なる 3D-がくせえ です!

Hehe. I'm getting rusty, forgive my bad grammar. ^_^ Anyway, just glad I can help!

• Reputable Contributor

In 3ds Max, the UV editor got similar functionality in 2010 when they integrated Polyboost. Outstanding features, IMHO. The names are (Average Horizontal/Vertical and Align Horizontal/Vertical). You can do the same with Vertices/Points.

• Advanced Member

In 3ds Max, the UV editor got similar functionality in 2010 when they integrated Polyboost. Outstanding features, IMHO. The names are (Average Horizontal/Vertical and Align Horizontal/Vertical). You can do the same with Vertices/Points.

I was using lots of maxscript to do it until I found textools for max.

check out textools. Lots of UV tools!

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

• Advanced Member

Textool is the most insane free script for max.

period.

Yeah. I only found them when I was learning max 9 and I couldn't believe there was no way to align points,edges that time. A simple function I had to find some maxscript!

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah. I only found them when I was learning max 9 and I couldn't believe there was no way to align points,edges that time. A simple function I had to find some maxscript!

I wonder if Andrew can implement a "Stitching" feature (you can see a sample of it in action on that page (TexTools), as well as different projection methods (Planar, Box, Cylinder, Sphere, Free Form Lattice, etc.).

These videos are a UV layout/Texture Mapping plugin for 3ds Max, called Texture Layers 2, and there are some very unique features that maybe Andrew may decide to add at some point. The one's I like are the Spline (Curve) projection, Freeform Lattice projection, and Attenuation features.

http://www.mankua.com/texturelayers.php

Overview of Tools:

http://www.adrive.com/public/dc4d21fed6b72e749a53000f53adce70a137c53e81d954f8d526c775d64b5f17.html

Free Form Lattice:

http://www.adrive.com/public/de0656ea6d426c1aadb1a32efb2f2b3edd3f07f7ac586d5471fbe4d61fb920c5.html

Attenuation:

http://www.adrive.com/public/51f0861e7eab90bf14129fcc1929eda9c8817c077a245b0c6c592a0faad3927f.html

Updated to 3.1.12 (win+mac, linux - today or tomorrow)

Changes:

- Tighten/expand with CTRL and CTRL+SHIFT in UV preview window in Brush mode done.

- Invert selection in UV tools

- Fixed instability in UV tool while marking seams over big meshes.

- Viewport navigation speed in UV tool improved essentially, especially for big meshes.

- Incorrect "Equidistant" command in UV tools fixed.

- Fixed instability while deleting sub-object in objects panel.