3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

JAVIS,

thanks for updating your vimeo vid manuals for uv tools for .12!

My pleasure! :)

Could someone clarify me about that??? How can I use it and for what is it useful?

Essentially, It's really useful for fixing pinched or large areas that need a little tweaking, more quickly then it would be to manually tweak each vert or edge. Instead it let's you use a brush to expand/contract the areas. It's really nice. :)

is all red and the neck is all blue. Thus if you look at the WIP you may notice far more detail in the neck than say, the nose / mouth area.

so when doing uvs in 3dc its best to have your faces be Blue? not gray? ,, if i understand Red=stretched uv/face ratio gray=close to 1:1 face/uv ratio blue=copressed uv/face ratio...

but having blue faces if best? cuz it preserves texture detail?

so when doing uvs in 3dc its best to have your faces be Blue? not gray? ,, if i understand Red=stretched uv/face ratio gray=close to 1:1 face/uv ratio blue=copressed uv/face ratio...

but having blue faces if best? cuz it preserves texture detail?

The best would be the gray / green color. Blue is stretched away from that in one direction and red is stretched away from that in the other direction.

Indeed.

Red means that there are less texels (texture pixels) per poly, while blue is more texels per poly. If you did want more detail in something then you want to lean toward blue.

Green means equal texels per poly relative to the rest of the polys on the UV map.

• Contributor

Привет! Я был занят некоторое время, пропустил пару версий. Сейчас поставил 3.1.12 и сразу обнаружился вот такой глюк при Inc.Res

post-1407-12555979884883_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

In the current version 3.1.12 (DX64) The pose tool is virtually unusable or very cumbersome at it's best. e.g.

The rotation handles never align to what I need. Why is there no screen based rotation? The selection mode with line doesn't seem to be Topology based so it makes it hard to isolate limbs and digits etc.

Hope this gets seen to at some point as it's only really useful for certain simple tasks.

Also 'select with pen' is really slow with a radius of about 15 and above. (also it has a really annoying extra ball and line while drawing.. Comeon let's tidy this program up)

In the current version 3.1.12 (DX64) The pose tool is virtually unusable or very cumbersome at it's best. e.g.

The rotation handles never align to what I need. Why is there no screen based rotation? The selection mode with line doesn't seem to be Topology based so it makes it hard to isolate limbs and digits etc.

Hope this gets seen to at some point as it's only really useful for certain simple tasks.

Also 'select with pen' is really slow with a radius of about 15 and above. (also it has a really annoying extra ball and line while drawing.. Comeon let's tidy this program up)

Do you mean that rotation gizmo handlers are not in screen space?

Many builds ago it was feature request that they should be unchanged since line selection. And I made them so months ago.

How to improve situation?

• Advanced Member

Here a quick video, you can see, I can bend my cylinder up/down and left/right, but if I want to go on a diagonal I can't.

http://screencast.com/t/Vre6P6zW

Yup, totally.

You should be able to move the gizmo better, without affecting geometry.

Right now you can only use the green handles do it

However, it would be much more precise if the gizmo worked more like the gizmos for the primitive tools.

Basically just add the XYZ move + rotate to the base handle.

This could transform the coordinate space of the gizmo including rotation around it's own axis.

To add to that, it would be nice to hae an XYZ drag handle to the end green sphere handle too, for more precision movement of all objects that have those green ball handles. (primitives etc)

• Advanced Member

Here a quick video, you can see, I can bend my cylinder up/down and left/right, but if I want to go on a diagonal I can't.

http://screencast.com/t/Vre6P6zW

This isn't a great temporary fix, but it'll allow you to bend in an arbitrary albeit unintuitive way.

the gear handle rotates around the axis... you can place that in any orientation. basically just make the gizmo's center axis your center of rotation.

In some ways it's acutlaly very intuitive - to have an axis as a center of rotation ;)

• Advanced Member

Do you mean that rotation gizmo handlers are not in screen space?

Many builds ago it was feature request that they should be unchanged since line selection. And I made them so months ago.

How to improve situation?

Well I think it's a good idea to have the gizmo handles but we need to be able to rotate them independently of the model to align the axis manually.

Also..

We need another method to be able to rotate perpendicular to the screen projection. Similar to how the Transpose tool works in Zbrush. It's near perfect.

• Advanced Member

Well I think it's a good idea to have the gizmo handles but we need to be able to rotate them independently of the model to align the axis manually.

Also..

We need another method to be able to rotate perpendicular to the screen projection. Similar to how the Transpose tool works in Zbrush. It's near perfect.

All transformation Gizmos in 3DC including even the that of the pose tool should undergo serious overhauling if not a complete redesign. There seems to be no way around it. Users can work and get their jobs done as of now, but I doubt that anyone can easily say that he or she feels that they can work with them completely intuitively.

1- I had made a request about the redesign of primitive gizmos. I work with them all the time, and every time I create one, it's a nightmare... The scale of the gizmos are dependent on object scale, thus giving you position handles as small as an ant if you adjust your object's scale to be smaller than it's initial scale. I swear, there are times I am simply reduced to not being able to tell which handle is which. And if the object is big, the handles' positions go way off out of screen space.

2- The pose tool's area of influence should have an adjustable falloff. Selecting with a pen and trying to smooth out the end of the region of effect simply doesn't cut it... We must be able to apply more smoothing or make the region more crisp. A smoothing slider on the pose tool param window could be devised to do just this...

• Contributor

1- I had made a request about the redesign of primitive gizmos. I work with them all the time, and every time I create one, it's a nightmare... The scale of the gizmos are dependent on object scale, thus giving you position handles as small as an ant if you adjust your object's scale to be smaller than it's initial scale. I swear, there are times I am simply reduced to not being able to tell which handle is which. And if the object is big, the handles' positions go way off out of screen space.

Meanwhile you can merge and use transform gizmo instead.

Handles size is constant. :)

• Like 1

Updated to 3.1.13

Changes:

- Voxel move tool will respect both - falloff and focal shift.

- Smoothing voxels in surface mode will respect symmetry correctly.

- Algorithm for relaxing UV-s with SHIFT in Brush mode improved very essentially.

- Undo after "Del" in per-pixel painting restored. (there was no Undo after deleting layer's pixels)

- Fixed memory corruption that can happen when new voxel session is started. It could produce instability during second voxel session.

- Baking in microverts improved

- Topology cleanup improved in retopo tool. It was possible before to create invalid polygons that leads to problems in painting and UV-ing

- Possibility to save-load freeze state for DP done (it was missed, was working only for microverts)

- Instability in UI mentioned by Akira fixed.

Was just doing some work with planar projections and needed to rotate my voxel mesh a perfect 90 degrees but found no way of doing this. The numerical editor for each axis isn't relative to world coordinates. It would be nice to type in 90 or 180 to rotate the object exactly. Or a nice snap/degree button like in 3dsmax.

Updated to 3.1.13

Changes:

- Voxel move tool will respect both - falloff and focal shift.

- Smoothing voxels in surface mode will respect symmetry correctly.

- Algorithm for relaxing UV-s with SHIFT in Brush mode improved very essentially.

- Undo after "Del" in per-pixel painting restored. (there was no Undo after deleting layer's pixels)

- Fixed memory corruption that can happen when new voxel session is started. It could produce instability during second voxel session.

- Baking in microverts improved

- Topology cleanup improved in retopo tool. It was possible before to create invalid polygons that leads to problems in painting and UV-ing

- Possibility to save-load freeze state for DP done (it was missed, was working only for microverts)

- Instability in UI mentioned by Akira fixed.

• Advanced Member

Was just doing some work with planar projections and needed to rotate my voxel mesh a perfect 90 degrees but found no way of doing this. The numerical editor for each axis isn't relative to world coordinates. It would be nice to type in 90 or 180 to rotate the object exactly. Or a nice snap/degree button like in 3dsmax.

ctrl + left mouse + shift = snap to perfect side-view

Would be fun. However using the keypad for cameraposition works too for me (although i always have to toggle through to find the one i search)

PS: Thank you Andrew, glad to see youre working on improvements of existing tools :)

• Advanced Member

are you sure you can't just use the number pad camera shortcuts. Also, if you're looking for orthographic projection so that it's a direct side or front or top or whatever, Number Pad 5 toggles between ortho/perspective. As well, does the little cube icon in the upper right next to the camera drop down menu.

post-2065-12557504021581_thumb.jpg

as far as rotating the object (as opposed to the camera) using the transform tool, hold shift BEFORE selecting the rotation handle and it will snap to 45 degree increments.

If this isn't what you're after, please clarify your question/request?

• Advanced Member

Incidentally, while I was examining the custom navigation more carefully just now, I realized you can rotate around the screen axis instead of the vertical axis, and THAT'S AWESOME! (yeah I know it's been there, but now I get it) It makes it possible to get the limited "lighting" on areas that just isn't possible using the locked vertical axis type rotation.

[EDIT:] by limited lighting, I mean because the shaders have some limitations, especially the pic materials. But the glossy ones really show the surfaces better for modelling, but only if you can get the reflection to slide across features in a few orientations. Which, now that I'm not locked to keeping the vertical axis vertical, YAY! it's awesome. [END EDIT]

Now with that said, I couldn't find a way to ZOOM toward a picked point (you can spin around one but not zoom toward it) PLEASE could you add this or tell me where to find it if it's there already.

I already made a post for this, but don't think Andrew got a chance to respond ;)

Thanks.