3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member

The Draw with Splines tool in the paint room is still amazingly unwieldy and does NOT function as it should. There is NO WAY I can move any of the nodes once they're laid down unless I commit to it by pressing ENTER and that hardly means anything in terms of workflow... I can't use this tool although I'd love to. The video says it all:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eq00pa

I have same problem,reported it some time ago in this thread,this tool was working fine but got broken in some recent builds.

• Reputable Contributor

What's wrong with this picture? The bridge is selected...the Transform tool is active and the transform gizmo is located wherever it pleases (instead of the center of the object selected). I merged the bridge in the other day...scaled it a few times...rotated it, and the gizmo stuck in it's own orientation, so subsequent scaling would be skewed and distorted.

Can we please fix this? This has happened a few times before...and I thought I was just forgetting some step, but there is nothing in the transform controls to reorient the gizmo where it should be (object center).

What's wrong with this picture? The bridge is selected...the Transform tool is active and the transform gizmo is located wherever it pleases (instead of the center of the object selected). I merged the bridge in the other day...scaled it a few times...rotated it, and the gizmo stuck in it's own orientation, so subsequent scaling would be skewed and distorted.

Can we please fix this? This has happened a few times before...and I thought I was just forgetting some step, but there is nothing in the transform controls to reorient the gizmo where it should be (object center).

For now check "Move only gizmo" and move gizmo to corresponding place.

• Advanced Member

Hi AbnRanger, do you mean you want to move the the gizmo exactly to the center of the bridge?

Currently there is no direct way, for example a reset gizmo button.

Please backup your file first before doing the steps below

But I think you can still do this in a few steps:

1. Move the bridge exactly to the center of the space(0, 0, 0) by using "Reset space" button.

2. Check on "Move only gizmo", input 0, 0, 0 in "Position" Params.

3. Check off "Move only gizmo" then move the bridge to the position you want.

That's all.

• Advanced Member

The poly reduction from the voxel room is the freakin' bomb!!! At least for my workflow.... It's exactly what I've been waiting for! No more exporting to Meshlab (sorry Meshlab, you did a good job but...see ya.. ). The resulting meshes are clean, tight and spot on! Thanks Andrew!!

One happy Monsoon

Poly reduction tool does not work for me, created default sphere in Voxel, deform it slightly with increase tool and then export, after setting the percentage to like 82% hit ok, it still say 65K > 65K, then let it sit for an hour only says six percent. This can't be this slow, would take a whole day just to export the file so I think it must be broken, why does it say 65K>->65K shouldn't it say 65K->11K or something.

It could be interesting to compare speed of reduction to other packages - Meshlab and ZBrush. Just to know how big gap for improvements I have.

Andrew have you seen Balancer? It does similar reduction but it looks at the model for a few seconds, then gives you a slider and you can see the reduction in real-time as you move the slider. If you want to check it out it's $26 for the non-commercial version, but they also have a free version that's limited to 15,000 triangle objects.

3D-CoatDX 64bits don't run to Windows7 64bits,

missing d3dx9_38.dll

It was a great thing if it was possible to import several Objects for Per Pixel Painting.

For exemple a Game Character was made from several batchs sharing the same or two set of textures.

It's great to work to a full character, as it doesn't exceed the polygons limitation.

To have Specular Color, and assigned to a layer, with the same principle of the Normal Map Layer Blending (Specular Blending ?)

Adding the possibility to import PSD 16 Bits into the pen folder,

For sharing the same alphas than ZBrush.

Thanx & congratulations for the great update !

I use more and more 3DCoat for texturing work...

• Advanced Member

Hi walter, you need to download and install DirectX 9.0c, because DirectX 10 or DirectX11 doesn't contain DirectX 9.

And, you can already import several Objects for Per Pixel Painting by using "File" - "Merge Object".

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

And I'll do one with Meshlab. Most likely tomorrow.

A 1.5 million poly voxel to 163,000 or 85% took 1 minute 2 sec.

The same 1.5 polys took approx 32 sec. in Meshlab with quadric edge collapse filter. It would be longer if done incrementally but I went straight there.

Resulting meshes were basically identical.

I personally don't see speed as an issue if the quality is there. I like not having the extra Meshlab step.

It would be awesome to export right to the paint rooms inside 3DC.

Hi walter, you need to download and install DirectX 9.0c, because DirectX 10 or DirectX11 doesn't contain DirectX 9.

And, you can already import several Objects for Per Pixel Painting by using "File" - "Merge Object".

Thanx !

Merge Object work like a charm...

There is a way for several object to Share the same Material/Texture ?

• Advanced Member

Hi AbnRanger, do you mean you want to move the the gizmo exactly to the center of the bridge?

Currently there is no direct way, for example a reset gizmo button.

Please backup your file first before doing the steps below

But I think you can still do this in a few steps:

1. Move the bridge exactly to the center of the space(0, 0, 0) by using "Reset space" button.

2. Check on "Move only gizmo", input 0, 0, 0 in "Position" Params.

3. Check off "Move only gizmo" then move the bridge to the position you want.

That's all.

I too have tried all that before and the gizmo upon every "to global space" would move to some WIERD place (like 3000 voxels away from the center, never in the center of the voxels)

I will try again and see if your method works, but on some models it seems that it's still wierd (I don't get WHY the pivot moves where it does.

e.g.

1) create a cube

2) transform the cube along one axis.

3) to global space - the cube

Now notice the pivot is in some WIERD place that is NOT the center of the voxels, or the origin, it is just around the mid-point of the object IF you count the global origin as part of the object. This isn't a useful location AT ALL, nor is it predictable. to global should position the pivot (gizmo) at 0,0,0. ALSO there should be a separate function to center the pivot along the objects X, Y, Z axes... meaning center of the voxel grid of the object irrespective of the global origin. Again, the current function is more than useless it's irritating (and I LOVE 3DC)

to global space should have 2 options:

1) preserve pivot/gizmo

2) zero to global origin

reset pivot/gizmo should have 2 options:

1) pivot/gizmo to center of voxels

2) pivot/gizmo to global origin

optional and would be REALLY NEAT

3) pivot/gizmo to physical center of mass (should be REALLY simple math!, and would be an EXCELLENT feature for exporting objects for use in simulation, think of the implication... you'd import this exported object and it's center of mass is already the origin.

cool...

ok, now with that... you have a function for resetting the pivot and "to global space"

just put a checkbox within "to global space"

1) preserve pivot/gizmo?

if yes, then DONT MOVE PIVOT

if no, then activate the controls what are part of the reset pivot dialog:

a) move to dimensional center of voxel

B) move to global origin

c) move to center of voxel mass

that's what I think would be good.

--- update... if you "to global space" before transforming the cube, subsequent "to global space" operations preserve the pivot"

Oh excuse me, I said Balancer looks at the model for a few seconds, that's true for my test but my model had to be under 15000 polys. The horse example on their site took 122 seconds (about 2 mins) for 13 mil. polys.

Yes, but there is a difference in the models which are converted in balancer. They seems to have a cleaner topology, than the reduced models in 3DC.

Hello everyone,

The new polygon reduction tool is very interesting and it seems it is going to improve greatly as time goes by.

But there's a noob question I have to ask as I don't quite get how it works fully :)

Though it will reduce the polygon count for Voxels, is it possible to import a mesh and then use the tool to reduce

the polygons of the mesh on export, even though it's not a Voxel created object.

It would be very handy for reducing the polycount on some objects I've made outside of 3DC if it can work that way.

I'm not a sculptor as such, some of the sculpts on here are amazing. I got 3DC for UV mapping and painting on meshes but

it's full of nice surprises.

Thanks,