3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

Reduction crashes for me too. As soon as reduction starts, the progress bar goes to 6% then this pops up:

2009-11-20_0539.png

3.1.17 DX CUDA 64 bit

I know it is "hard" for all, but please post bugreposts into the according bug section!

Thank you.

We just try to avoid chaos and dissatisfaction about unfixed bugs, because they have been overlooked...

• Advanced Member

I know it is "hard" for all, but please post bugreposts into the according bug section!

Thank you.

We just try to avoid chaos and dissatisfaction about unfixed bugs, because they have been overlooked...

Roger that. Sorry...Wasn't paying attention.

Hey Monsoon, sorry for the uber slow reply. I've had computer issues and haven't been able to use my computer until just a few minutes ago... Wew.

Anyway, I'll try to get to your issue tomorrow when I have some spare moments.

• Advanced Member

Question: I have a .3b file that exhibits several bugs, but it's bigger than the 2mb Forum upload limit. What is the best way to get that to you? I don't have my own website, do you have FTP or anything of that nature to upload to that is size unrestricted?

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

Question: I have a .3b file that exhibits several bugs, but it's bigger than the 2mb Forum upload limit. What is the best way to get that to you? I don't have my own website, do you have FTP or anything of that nature to upload to that is size unrestricted?

Cheers,

Peter B

There are many free Online file sharing site over the internet. :)

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've used those as well for personal things, but unfortunately I cannot use those with proprietary models and data, it would violate the terms of agreement with clients. As you know those are not in any way secure :)

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

Email is OK, though most people can't receive 6mb+ emails :)

Within the security constraints I'm flexible, but just trying to find the "best way" that is easy for me and Andrew, since I am very passionate about submitting bug reports with examples :)

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

Within the security constraints I'm flexible, but just trying to find the "best way" that is easy for me and Andrew, since I am very passionate about submitting bug reports with examples :)

Cheers,

Peter B

1. Send by email. Using 7zip or winrar or something else to compress a big file into several small Sub-volume compression. Send those files by several emails.

2. Send via Gtalk.

BTW 6mb is really small.

Cheers,

Peter B

I prefer www.mediafire.com or www.divshare.com. Very fast and easy to use!

• Advanced Member

OK for personal work I can use those for sure, not for confidential client work though, of course.

Javis has messaged me privately with suggestions on how to deal with that, which should work for the more confidential stuff.

Cheers,

Peter B

About a week ago I posted a message about the slowness of painting in 3D-Coat and how it was nearly unuseable for me, well I finally figured out the problem, as I said I have a fairly decent graphics card 9800 GTX with 500 meg ram, but the problem was really my power supply, I had cheapened out when I put my last system together and used the power supply that came with the box. Well apparently that wasn't enough because I just put in a Corsair 750 watt unit and now the speed of painting has increased 10 fold and everything is fine. The strange thing is that when I was looking into my NVidia control panel to see if I could determine if the card was possibly not getting enough power it showed nothing that threw up a red flag so apparently it was disabling something that was slowing it down because now it works. Just wanted to post this in case anyone else might run into the same isssue in the future.

• Like 1

If it's of any help?

I have used a free account with 4shared.com for some 3 nearly 4 years now, and found it to be a very reliable way to share files either privately with passworded folders or publicly with copy n paste links. They have even come up with a browser bar now, so it's just like having a virtual selectively sharable drive available at the click of a button in either IE firefox or whatever. Max file size is 200mb for free accounts, total free storage 10gb. Even if not of use in this instance take a look at it it's real useful for tons of things.

You can even stream audio or vid preview from file links..

Heres a tune I wrote and recorded last year for example.. theres a streaming player on the page, or a dload button..

IKHandel in concert

Cheers

IK

• Contributor

ATTENTION TO ALL 3DC VOXEL SCULPTORS ......I just found out B-Splines works with the Planar brush!!!! :o:D

In other way we can use B-splines (which can even be saved to files) to directly trim or level volumes with absolute precison.

It was right under my nose since a bunch of releases I just forgot to try if it would work...

-Choose Planar Brush and choose "Draw by closed Spline" from E panel.

In all ,it means we can now cut and extrude on volumes

with custom distances ,custom angles and custom shapes!! :brush:

TIP:When doing extrusions (with Ctrl) you need to set "Border" parameter to "Plane Border".

Oherwise you will get extrusions that does not always connect with the source.

AlSo:for better control and fun when doing this it is better to pick normal orientation from a custom voxel plane on a seperate layer,this way you get access to the transform gizmo and you can precisely set the distance and angles of your cuts/extrusions.

• Advanced Member

ATTENTION TO ALL 3DC VOXEL SCULPTORS ......I just found out B-Splines works with the Planar brush!!!! :o:D

In other way we can use B-splines (which can even be saved to files) to directly trim or level volumes with absolute precison.

It was right under my nose since a bunch of releases I just forgot to try if it would work...

-Choose Planar Brush and choose "Draw by closed Spline" from E panel.

In all ,it means we can now cut and extrude on volumes

with custom distances ,custom angles and custom shapes!! :brush:

TIP:When doing extrusions (with Ctrl) you need to set "Border" parameter to "Plane Border".

Oherwise you will get extrusions that does not always connect with the source.

AlSo:for better control and fun when doing this it is better to pick normal orientation from a custom voxel plane on a seperate layer,this way you get access to the transform gizmo and you can precisely set the distance and angles of your cuts/extrusions.

Hi Artman, this is a great tip and addition to my workflow. Any guesses why I couldn't get extrusion to work at all ?

I tried extrusion with Ctrl on both B-splines and drawn contour. Tested on different primitives and layers and E-panel tool types but only "cutting" would ever result. I did set border to Plane as instructed.

One possible cause is I use windows Sticky-keys or a mapped mouse-button for my control-key press as I only have one arm.

Thanks,

Robbie

• Contributor

Hi Artman, this is a great tip and addition to my workflow. Any guesses why I couldn't get extrusion to work at all ?

I tried extrusion with Ctrl on both B-splines and drawn contour. Tested on different primitives and layers and E-panel tool types but only "cutting" would ever result. I did set border to Plane as instructed.

One possible cause is I use windows Sticky-keys or a mapped mouse-button for my control-key press as I only have one arm.

Thanks,

Robbie

Are you sure you choosed the Planar Brush? :)

You need to right click on a surface at desired distance(not too far)

And then you hold ctrl when pressing Apply in the Draw By Closed Splines floating menu.

cheers

• Contributor

Speaking of the E-Panel, I just discovered using it with the Pose tool, wow it's like a whole new world of sculpting possibilities.

For armors and hardsurface stuff it gives great results!You just draw and drag you selection,let it convert to voxel,and do it again over and over until you get the craziest japannese mecha. :D:brush:

• Contributor

Woohoo! At least after 3 days of terribly complex work I got rid of pose/move tool artifacts (sometimes long lines and dots appeared).

(quote from Andrew's Twitter)

Great!!! :yahoo: That is one very big chunk solved and it took you only 3 days...:o

Andrew,will it also prevent getting the same family artifacts with the other surface tools?

• Advanced Member

Thanks,

Robbie

Its because the spline is adhered to the surface, to get it to extrude you have to have the spline outside whatever the depth is of the planar brush.

For armors and hardsurface stuff it gives great results!You just draw and drag you selection,let it convert to voxel,and do it again over and over until you get the craziest japannese mecha. :D:brush:

I'm not sure what you mean by "let it convert to voxel", what I'm doing is selecting the Pose tool with the Select With Pen option, then using splines and such to make clean selections, then using the gizmo too manipulate that selection.

• Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by "let it convert to voxel", what I'm doing is selecting the Pose tool with the Select With Pen option, then using splines and such to make clean selections, then using the gizmo too manipulate that selection.

When you drag a selection away from its origin ,notice that the shader get all messed up.

You need to press Enter or Clear Selection to get it back to normal.

That is what I meant when saying "let it convert to voxel"

: before conversion your dragged selection is just surface ,polygons stretched just like ZB or MB.

(Because Pose is a surface tool)

If you use pose in Surface mode you will notice that you cannot build up stretching over selections because surface doesnt get converted to voxels until you hit the convert cube icon.

So,when using Pose in non-surface mode ,"Clear selection" and Enter act like the convert cube Icon,they are the triggers of the surface-to-voxel conversion.

Its like reloading your gun in Time Crisis :)