3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

Wow!

Do you believe in impossible things? God is live!

Peoples called us and returned everything - money, clothes and all.

They found them not far away from the place where car was standing.

I have no rational explanation for that, really.

Nice to read. I hope for you, everything is going well now.

Best wishes for the new flat. Hopefully you are moving to a safer area.

• Advanced Member

Wow!

Do you believe in impossible things? God is live!

Peoples called us and returned everything - money, clothes and all.

They found them not far away from the place where car was standing.

I have no rational explanation for that, really.

They probably heard the cops approaching in the distance or thought they did and scrammed, the scumbags... Man, I'm happy things panned out for the best Andy. I have a triple-decker on our door and replaced the office entrance and windows completely with safe glass windows and had alarm systems installed. Don't keep money in the house, these people monitor susceptible targets and move in when the time's right.

Merry Christmas and God bless;

AJ

Updated to 3.1.19 (Win+OSX, Linux - tomorrow)

Changes:

- Retopo tool, all baking operations, decimation tool, direct export and quadrangulation will support volumes in surface mode.

- Speed of tranferring surface->voxels improved essentially, especially for big surfaces.

- Normalmap baking improved - the reason of possible stretching on hardsurface models fixed.

- Possibiity to smooth freeze with SHIFT done.

- All problems with pen selection mode in Pose toll resolved.

- Freeze in surface mode may work in "Airbrush mode" too.

- Fixed issue mentioned in forum about 3.1.18 - strange quads around small brush

- possibility to extend trial period on demand

- academic license introduced (will be announced later). In short - 3D-Coat will be free for colleges.

• Advanced Member

Great Update, Thanks Andrew!

Also, thanks for sharing your answer to prayer!

Out of curiosity, since there is now a voxel-surface workflow, does this open the door (a little bit maybe) for some kind of vertex painting?

(vertex paint * shader = display color that can be baked)

I just bought 3DC. I noticed that my download zip (it's still got 11 minutes to go) says V31-15. Should I be going to a different link to get the latest version?

Hmm, it shouldn't be zipped. The latest version can be downloaded from the first post of this thread.

Updated to 3.1.19 (Win+OSX, Linux - tomorrow)

Changes:

- Retopo tool, all baking operations, decimation tool, direct export and quadrangulation will support volumes in surface mode.

- Speed of tranferring surface->voxels improved essentially, especially for big surfaces.

- Normalmap baking improved - the reason of possible stretching on hardsurface models fixed.

- Possibiity to smooth freeze with SHIFT done.

- All problems with pen selection mode in Pose toll resolved.

- Freeze in surface mode may work in "Airbrush mode" too.

- Fixed issue mentioned in forum about 3.1.18 - strange quads around small brush

- possibility to extend trial period on demand

- academic license introduced (will be announced later). In short - 3D-Coat will be free for colleges.

Did I get something wrong?

I thought it would be possible now, to bake a normalmap, directly from surface mode.

After detailing my model I clicked "quadrangulate for per pixel painting".

3DC asked me if I want to stay in surface mode, or convert to voxels.

If I choose to stay in surface mode, nothing happens!

Is it a bug, am I just stupid, or is this how it's meant to be? :huh:

• Advanced Member

I am seeing that the Freeze tool is supposed to work with Voxels now.. Is this true or am I missing something? Can some one maybe correct me or point me in the direction on how I can use the freeze tool?

Thanks,

Freezing in Seattle..

ISaiah

I am seeing that the Freeze tool is supposed to work with Voxels now.. Is this true or am I missing something? Can some one maybe correct me or point me in the direction on how I can use the freeze tool?

Switch to Surface mode (click the cube icon next to the Vox Tree layer name), then you'll see new tools listed along the left side, Freeze is one of them.

• Advanced Member

I passed this info on to the director / founder of my old school so, Andrew, you may be hearing from the DAVE School.

FREE as in you don't have to pay for it? :o If that's the case - best marketing move ever in CGI history, College students are going to love it! :D

FREE as in you don't have to pay for it? :o If that's the case - best marketing move ever in CGI history, College students are going to love it! :D

I believe he means free for the school to teach with, not for the students to personally own. Correct me if I'm wrong.

and why does God get the credit for recovering Andrew's money!?. If I found some money and returned it then I want the owner to thank me, not god!! I found the money, I returned it!!!! grr! :angry:

Really peoples returned money, and they got not bad credit in my message and in real life :)

But I felt God's hand in that too, so he got credit too. Why not? And in this situation was too many very low probability actions to deny it.

And my feelings in life was changed too (in good side), so I written what I seen and felt.

And ok, let us continue 3dc-updates related discussion.

And college's studients are different than university's sutdients?

Just for clear situation :)

When I was at University of The Arts one of the teachers told us that a University was a school with multiple colleges tied together. Like my major was animation, putting me in the College of Media Arts, but they also had the College of Dance, College of Music, etc. Your question is interesting to me because I learned from some foreign friends who kept laughing at me when I said I was in college because apparently in some countries the name "college" is used for younger kids' school like your school before high school, what we would call "grammar school" or "grade school". So in that case University students and College students are very different.

• Advanced Member

Really peoples returned money, and they got not bad credit in my message and in real life :)

But I felt God's hand in that too, so he got credit too. Why not? And in this situation was too many very low probability actions to deny it.

And my feelings in life was changed too (in good side), so I written what I seen and felt.

And ok, let us continue 3dc-updates related discussion.

Ah no worries, Andrew. I was just being a smart ass :)

:drinks:

• Reputable Contributor

It is the same. But this licensing is intended for colleges and universities that will study 3D-Coat as subject. It is not for personal usage.

I think students that study 3D-Coat may get extended trial.

I think that is an outstanding approach, Andrew. Autodesk is making it easier than ever with their relatively new (Education bundle) "Creation Suite" model....so instead of a student having to spend several hundreds of dollars on a given software title, JUST TO LEARN IT...they put Max, Maya, Softimage, Mudbox, and MotionBuilder all in one suite for the same price as just one license, previously. Like $150 USD for a one year license, and about $350 for a perpetual (EDU) license. Conversely, C4D costs about $700 just for the full EDU version (Studio). I can't see too many students shelling out $700 just to learn one program.

I've been taking some Maya classes at a local college in the LA area, and I used 3DC on a major project. It had a lot of folks stop and look over my shoulder, as no one knew what it was I was using, and I had to use my laptop as I can't install my own stuff on the computers at school. It sure would have helped a great deal if I could have gotten 3DC in the classroom. No one on my team knew how to use 3DC, Mudbox or ZB. I could've shown those in my team how to get around in 3DC, and gotten much more done on the project.

I considered asking you about it well before, but I didn't think you'd go for the idea (of trying to work out some arrangement for in-classroom licenses). The fewer hurdles you have for people to learn your product, the more your userbase will grow.