3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

i was under the impression that CUDA was to help speed up 3d coat. i'll test out this update when i get home. the last update made 3d-coat very slow/laggy, it didn't have anything to do with what standard to use. like i said even on the nvidia things where slow, with or with out cuda. i didn't notice it that laggy before. also when i updated 3d coat 3.1.22,it ran in demo and i had to reactivate.

i was under the impression that CUDA was to help speed up 3d coat. i'll test out this update when i get home. the last update made 3d-coat very slow/laggy, it didn't have anything to do with what standard to use. like i said even on the nvidia things where slow, with or with out cuda. i didn't notice it that laggy before. also when i updated 3d coat 3.1.22,it ran in demo and i had to reactivate.

It's got to be something with your configuration. My machine runs 3DC rather well. As mentioned before, I'm using an AMD/Nvidia custom box.

What type of gear do you have?

and symmetry still isn't working on the central control points on the new primitives. Although I'm not sure if it's supposed to work. :pardon:

Just tested it with 3.1.23 CUDA 64bit on Win7, it's working for me. You are referring to local symmetry, I assume?

• Advanced Member

"Primitives cage can be tweaked using not only points but edges and faces too."

Cool!

It would be fantastic to also be able to extrude faces to assist in easy shape creation like sub-div surface mode in blender.

610px-Manual-Part-II-SubSurf01.png

Could this be a possible addition to the primitive tool?

If so, that would be amazing! :)

• Advanced Member

Just tested it with 3.1.23 CUDA 64bit on Win7, it's working for me. You are referring to local symmetry, I assume?

I'm referring to symmetry on the new primitives. The central control points can be dragged around freely and aren't restricted along the symmetry axis.

A 3x3 cube demonstrates the issue well:

post-916-12633916881206_thumb.jpg

I'm referring to symmetry on the new primitives. The central control points can be dragged around freely and aren't restricted along the symmetry axis.

i guess thats why they are called FREE form primitives :p

• Advanced Member

Just trying out the CTRL function to move edges and points along the last face normal selected. It's a great idea but it only works properly on points.. With edges it seems to only move in world space Y.

Also It'd be great if we could introduce snapping with this tool for lining up points to other points or edges. Will work best with the CTRL or XYZ functions I think. Speaking of which Z & X are nicely close together on the keyboard by unfortunately Y is elsewhere, Might be nice to be able to reassign the keys to something more comfortable.

Good job tho.. loving the scope of these primitives. Would love to see these expanded into a powerful modelling side to 3dCoat :D

p.s. Just been playing with it more and it would be really useful to be able to slide edges and points along corresponding edges.

Yep, that's call local symmetry. ;)

This is by design. You can manually constrain by holding the CTRL key. If constraining was automatic along the central points, how would you then move them outside of the constrained axes?

• Advanced Member

how would you then move them outside of the constrained axes?

by disabling symmetry?

I thought that the whole point of symmetry is to create symmetrical objects?. I've never used a program that doesn't constrain the central points when symmetry is active. So I don't really get your "It's by design" remark. Only Andrew can say whether something is by design. And even then it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good design. :)

But no matter, it's not that important. Just thought Andrew may have overlooked it.

Life goes on...

Just trying out the CTRL function to move edges and points along the last face normal selected. It's a great idea but it only works properly on points.. With edges it seems to only move in world space Y.

Yeah I did notice this, bug report time.

Also It'd be great if we could introduce snapping with this tool for lining up points to other points or edges. Will work best with the CTRL or XYZ functions I think. Speaking of which Z & X are nicely close together on the keyboard by unfortunately Y is elsewhere, Might be nice to be able to reassign the keys to something more comfortable.

Good job tho.. loving the scope of these primitives. Would love to see these expanded into a powerful modelling side to 3dCoat :D

p.s. Just been playing with it more and it would be really useful to be able to slide edges and points along corresponding edges.

+1 on the snapping.

by disabling symmetry?

So I don't really get your "It's by design" remark. Only Andrew can say whether something is by design. And even then it

Oh yeah, you're right. I don't talk to Andrew every day, I wouldn't know better. ;)

• Advanced Member
C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\memory(74,7): error X3000: invalid target or usage string

* Loading shader "Shaders/tex_preview_nrm.hlsl"...

#define SCREEN_SPACE

Compiling VS...

Is anyone else getting this error when entering the UV room with an object loaded?

3.1.23 CUDA DX64

• Contributor

DX 11

I see magazine articles extolling this upgrade but I can not seem to find it?

If anyone knows where to get it, would they also advise it's suitablity in relation to the Cuda 64 bit 3DC version please,

Brian

It comes with Windows 7 and I believe that's the only way to get it. There's only 3 games currently released that support it. Obviously 3DC will run on Win7 systems, but I don't think the DX11 is supported thus you won't necessarily see any big difference.

It's got to be something with your configuration. My machine runs 3DC rather well. As mentioned before, I'm using an AMD/Nvidia custom box.

What type of gear do you have?

It's happening with me too. I have 64 bit CUDA version of 3.1.23 on Vista with nVidia GTX 275. Voxel painting is *extremely* sluggish - e.g., using a large brush with "increase" won't respond for many seconds for each change. Not usable.

"Primitives cage can be tweaked using not only points but edges and faces too."

Cool!

It would be fantastic to also be able to extrude faces to assist in easy shape creation like sub-div surface mode in blender.

610px-Manual-Part-II-SubSurf01.png

Could this be a possible addition to the primitive tool?

If so, that would be amazing! :)

Be carefully with such ideas, please. Your idea is good, but try to describe a little bit more, then a quick idea. Don't forget: 3D Coat includes several places where such methods could help to optimise the work. 3D Coat is more than a voxel tool, much more! Voxels are really a small and present: experimental part, in my opinion - although powerful... :)

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

Be carefully with such ideas, please. Your idea is good, but try to describe a little bit more, then a quick idea. Don't forget: 3D Coat includes several places where such methods could help to optimise the work. 3D Coat is more than a voxel tool, much more! Voxels are really a small and present: experimental part, in my opinion - although powerful... :)

Best wishes

Chris

You are probably right, chris.

I see 3D Coats voxel feature as the future of 3d modeling though and find the new developments with every update amazing.

Before 3D Coat I would create almost all of my models using sub-division modeling in programs like Wings 3d and Hexagon, then I started using these programs to create the base model, bring it into 3D Coat for detailing normal maps and textures then export.

Now you can create a base in 3d Coat, detail, retopo and export, it is fantastic, but having the extra control of a cage (which could potentially be used as a lo-poly mesh for baking the normal map and textures to as well without the need to retopo) to be able to quickly create precise models with no need to tweak anything externally is astounding.

I would only ever have to use another program for animation.

:):)

It's happening with me too. I have 64 bit CUDA version of 3.1.23 on Vista with nVidia GTX 275. Voxel painting is *extremely* sluggish - e.g., using a large brush with "increase" won't respond for many seconds for each change. Not usable.

Hey Sekhar,

Could you elaborate more on your gear? RAM, CPU, etc.?

Admittedly when I was using Vista and then switched to Win7, the performance was a bit better on Win7.

I have an older AMD Quad core, Phenom 9500, Nvidia GTX 275 (1.896GB GDDR3), 8GB DDR 800 & Win7 x64. The performance is pretty good, almost as good as the performance on Linux with the same hardware.

Hey Sekhar,

Could you elaborate more on your gear? RAM, CPU, etc.?

Admittedly when I was using Vista and then switched to Win7, the performance was a bit better on Win7.

I have an older AMD Quad core, Phenom 9500, Nvidia GTX 275 (1.896GB GDDR3), 8GB DDR 800 & Win7 x64. The performance is pretty good, almost as good as the performance on Linux with the same hardware.

Intel QX6700 (quad core), 8 MB RAM. nVidia driver is 8.17.11.9562, not too old.

installed build .23 after being away from 3dcoat foer a few months.. lots have been added changed! wow!

BUT where is the new polish and chisel tools? cannot find them in voxel tool on left of screen..(also looked in sculpt room)

and what do they do? esp polish. will that litterally like smooth the surface of any jarrry spiked w/o squishing the surface like normal smooth does?

• Contributor

installed build .23 after being away from 3dcoat foer a few months.. lots have been added changed! wow!

BUT where is the new polish and chisel tools? cannot find them in voxel tool on left of screen..(also looked in sculpt room)

and what do they do? esp polish. will that litterally like smooth the surface of any jarrry spiked w/o squishing the surface like normal smooth does?

These tools become available when in Surface mode (in the Voxtree, click the cube and it will become a tilda, then you are in surface mode.

• Advanced Member

would it be possible to import meshes in the surface mode of the voxels ? not as voxels but as a polymesh

i really like the voxels, but for some purposes i think its quite cumbersome to do the retopology step ... i.e. if i have a basemesh, want to do some more sculpting it would be awesome to somehow unite the sculpting room with the surface tools of the voxels (if there will be a multiresolution mode in the future). is it possible to put all the surface tools into the sculting room ? or is there a different paradigm behind it ?

if you import a basemesh into the voxel room, sculpt a bit, you always have to retopologize the mesh (importing the basemesh doesnt really work in retopolgy, because some serious changes in voxelmode will mess it up).

if you need to change some stuff, like make one part way bigger, or changing the direction, you always have to do that step again.

I really,really would like to see *easy* way to do such workflow

1.Import external uvmapped object into voxels

2.Sculpt in voxels

3.Export displacement for low-poly object

Like you do in Zbrush,import obj, sculpt, generate displacement,export dis - simple,fast.I wish do same but with sculpting done in voxels.

Some people claim is doable in 3DC, maybe, but I think it should be more streamlined or easy way to do it.

I like thew idea of little movies in tutorial section, pretty handy and fast way to learn 3DC coat.Nice updates , I like new website look :)

• Advanced Member

Probably a stupid observation.... but I think I'll mention it anyway

In the Material import using the down arrow on the upper left corner there is an option there to 'add existing folder'. I assumed that it meant I could import a new folder filled with materials or textures I wanted to use. Seems not. Anyway, when I get to the point of selecting the folder and then apparently I have to select a material (texture) in that folder nothing is imported and all the current, default, material vanish from the palette.

Is this the proper way this program functions around importing materials, it clears out the previous ones? If so then why didn't the material I wanted to import show up?? Should I NOT use the drop down menu from the down arrow to try to import? If not then why is that option there?? If there is a way to tell the program NOT to clear out other materials in the palette perhaps an option should be added to tell the program to keep them. In any case, a bit confusing and not very intuitive to me.

If I wanted to import a bunch of materials (or a folder filled with materials), rather than one at a time, is there a way to do this?

On a good note, either this update made other areas of this program easier to use or my break from 3DC got things working differently in my brain and it's easier to understand. My intention is to use this program strictly for painting on 3D objects so I want to stay focused on that rather than getting confused trying to learn it all at once!!

Thanks!

Richard ;-)~

I've never used the new folder option for materials only for pens, so I can't answer from experience. With pens you create a new folder, then add pens (brushes) to that folder. I assume the materials tab works the same way. It wouldn't be able to add materials in an existing folder because it would have no way of knowing which images go with which other images in order to create the materials.

• Advanced Member

OK, well, still don't understand why that option seems to point to allowing one to import a folder of materials. Probably just how my brain is interpreting things!! LOL

OK, while I got you here.... when I'm exporting a map from the Textures:Export menu how do I get them all on one sheet (so to speak) or is that something I have to set up before hand? I tried to merge the layers together (it's a shirt obj but it's uv mapped with the sleeves as separate materials) but that made no difference. 3DC is exporting them as separate maps which I then have to go into Photoshop to merge together!! Also the bleed is so so big, been looking around to find where to lower that. Bleeds really only need to be about 3 pixels at the most, this is way way over the that.

THanks for the help! :-)