3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

As for the folder, it's probably just poorly named.

If you have multiple UV maps when you start, 3DC will export an image for each. I think this is how most people expect it to work. As for the bleed, what difference does it make how large it is?

• Advanced Member

As for the folder, it's probably just poorly named.

If you have multiple UV maps when you start, 3DC will export an image for each. I think this is how most people expect it to work. As for the bleed, what difference does it make how large it is?

Well, in my humble opinion, one should have control over the bleed. It's so large that when I imported the two maps into Photoshop they overlapped pretty badly so then I had to go to all the trouble to hunt up the UV map of the shirt, import that in, do a selection, expand the selection by 3 pixels, fill in that blank area while the selection was still active and then crop each of the map layers by that newly created. Not horribly time consuming but it would be nice to save a little time. This would be accomplished with control over the bleed. What's "padding" in the prefs? Would that be "bleed"?

Still seems odd to me that a set of maps can't be merged for exportation!!

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Just didn't want to mess with that in case. Oh and this build seems a bit buggier than I thought. I picked up my wacom stylus to see how smoothly it would work in 3DC and WHAM instant crash. The program is set up, thank goodness, to send auto reports! WOW!!

These tools become available when in Surface mode (in the Voxtree, click the cube and it will become a tilda, then you are in surface mode.

AHH thank you yet a new thing that got added in my 3dc absence..

so the chisel tool is a polish tool? thats how the announcment makes it seem..at first i thought it was 2 dif tools.

Updated to 3.1.24

Last update before 3.2 I hope.

Changes:

- Render room was essentially improved - realtime render on the fly while tweaking render params + multiple colored light sources.

- Possibility to export normalmap texture in world space from per-pixel painting mode.

- I have add new checker in UV room - Islands preview to be able to turn off realtime islands preview when it is no longer need.

- fixed: freeze tool in paint tab had several redundant parameters that contradict to "conditions" droplist.

- fixed: incorrect rendering in render room of the model in microvertex mode with subpatching.

- fixed: incorrect work of environmemntal shader in per-pixel mode

- fixed: it was impossible to use 'F' + SHIFT or CTRL or ALT keys combo as a hotkey for some command.

- fixed: baking voxel volumes to per pixel painting may produce wrong result if volume is transformed

- problem in UV tools solved - if cluster was too irregular uv preview may disappear or look strange.

- Fixed big load of bugs from forum. Special thank to Taros for digging them. I marked fixed bugs as [sOLVED] on the forum.

• Contributor

Now that Andrew is giving the rendering some love, I'd like to voice a long-standing -- and still-existing -- problem with the 3DC renders: the terrible *banding* I always get on all smooth materials/surfaces. It simply makes for chronically unusable renders. Sorry. When will this matter be investigated and fixeded? Until it is, I see no point in trying to make any final renders in 3DC, only quickie dummy tests. (I'm using Win7 x64 and non-CUDA version.)

• Contributor

Hello Everybody I know its been a while for me posting here. I have been pretty busy over the last couple of months but I'm back now and will be posting my usual nonsense. Great things have been added here, some quality updates. Great work Andrew and crew.

Think I may have found a bug with the last Non cuda 64 release. Seems I can no longer alter smooth settings on the fly with right mouse and shift? Can anyone else confirm this. And I'm posting it here as this was working but yesterday. so must be something to do with the latest revision.

• Contributor

Now that Andrew is giving the rendering some love, I'd like to voice a long-standing -- and still-existing -- problem with the 3DC renders: the terrible *banding* I always get on all smooth materials/surfaces. It simply makes for chronically unusable renders. Sorry. When will this matter be investigated and fixeded? Until it is, I see no point in trying to make any final renders in 3DC, only quickie dummy tests. (I'm using Win7 x64 and non-CUDA version.)

Are you using 32 bit rendering?

Think I may have found a bug with the last Non cuda 64 release. Seems I can no longer alter smooth settings on the fly with right mouse and shift? Can anyone else confirm this. And I'm posting it here as this was working but yesterday. so must be something to do with the latest revision.

Yes, I see that too in the 64 bit Cuda version. You should make a bug report.

Hello Everybody I know its been a while for me posting here. I have been pretty busy over the last couple of months but I'm back now and will be posting my usual nonsense. Great things have been added here, some quality updates. Great work Andrew and crew.

Please post the bug into the support forums.

Thank you.

• Contributor

Please post the bug into the support forums.

Thank you.

Yes Chris! I will but as its most definitely related to the latest build and was working in previous, I thought it might be best here too. its a very important function. This is a big usability hit.

• Contributor

Check your monitor. I just had a bug thread on this and it turned out to be my monitor settings.

My good man, I have an Eizo hardware calibrated pro monitor and I spend 10 hours a day in Adobe's apps -- and if I'd had monitor issues which created banding, I'd KNOW about it, and fix it (I've been a digital graphics pro since 1990, so no rookie I :-). But all my gradients are super slick everywhere -- except in 3DC's render room.

My good man, I have an Eizo hardware calibrated pro monitor and I spend 10 hours a day in Adobe's apps -- and if I'd had monitor issues which created banding, I'd KNOW about it, and fix it (I've been a digital graphics pro since 1990, so no rookie I :-). But all my gradients are super slick everywhere -- except in 3DC's render room.

Settle down, I meant no offense. My gradients also looked great everywhere aside from 3DC. After I adjusted my monitor it looked great everywhere including 3DC.

• Contributor

Phil, settle down -- no offense taken. :-) It's just that I'm no computer graphics amateur (though I am a newbie in 3D!) and therefore I am utterly fanatical about things like monitor calibration and graphics settings. So it's just super-unlikely that my graphics setup should have some hidden variable which makes all look great in all graphics apps -- except 3DC. There's clearly serious banding in 3DC's renderings, and they have been there since I first began using the app half a year ago. Of course, I have zero idea what causes this banding -- could it perhaps be some obscure DirectX problem in my slightly-ancient graphics card? Maybe. But it ain't baby-stuff like monitor settings.

• Advanced Member

No, for, from what I understand, I need a better GPU -- my 7600 is too old and puny.

32-bit rendering in 3DC means 8 bits per channel while 16-bit rendering means 4 or 5 bits per channel.

post-751-12639635015452_thumb.jpg

It seems this issue won't be solved until you upgrade your graphics card.

hope this helps.

akira.

Yes Chris! I will but as its most definitely related to the latest build and was working in previous, I thought it might be best here too. its a very important function. This is a big usability hit.

It's always a better idea to post bugs into the support forums. The post frequency in this forum is to fast, to post bugs here and Andrew can't read all posts. Then he would need a 48 hours day...

A lot of bugs was already lost, when posted somewhere, but not in the support area. It's really better, believe me. :)

Best wishes

Chris