3DCoat Forums

new idea for sculpture of voxel!

chris_solo

• Advanced Member

My opinion is that the future of the sculpture of the voxel is the voxel by adding or subtracting brush through the layers!

for example, you built with a general form and you add to the voxel field as with the brush "sphere" but this matter follows wrap/snap to the main form...and as it is on one layer, you can be remove or add to the function of existing layers!

this solution does not exist, I think or I have not seen ...

This has the effect of making fairly accurate joints and gives clean edges!

this option is for me the future of the sculpture as voxel brushes are for me not precise enough...

I put an example of my idea in pictures:

follow pictures from left to right

post-1878-1251645931_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1251645939_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1251645946_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1251645954_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi chris_solo,

Maybe I didn't understand. But right click on Volume, there is a command named "Substract from". Combine this command with "Curves" tool, draw the curves on a new layer.

"Curves" tool can snap to the surface on different Volume layer.

Can't it do what you want?

Hi chris_solo,

Maybe I didn't understand. But right click on Volume, there is a command named "Substract from". Combine this command with "Curves" tool, draw the curves on a new layer.

"Curves" tool can snap to the surface on different Volume layer.

Can't it do what you want?

Yes indeed, that should work quite precisely for what is requested. It's easy to use as well. :)

• Advanced Member

Hi all! :)

Yes I misspoke, sorry ... but I wanted to say except that instead of doing that with a curve, do it with matter voxel with a brush. This means creating matter voxel with a brush, but on a different layer and snap of the layer of the basic shape to be able to add or subtract.

hey Pilou, :D For the existing function of adding or soutraction in the menu I had ever seen!

• Contributor

Actually why not just Draw on the surface with the Sphere brush and ALT stroke? rather than have to go through and Subtract the Volume in the Vox tree you can use the Average (Lazy mouse) setting to smooth the stroke if needed.

To chris (Not Taros) the only way to get crisp edges (with Voxel) is at higher volume density so the problem seems more like a performance issue with the brushes and strokes at high density. Which may be the reason you find it hard to Sculpt and crispen things up, By way of an example if you have a small volume at high density the stroke can jump as it is applied, this can cause a faceted line or broken stroke which is not applied in RT. If performance can be optimised I see no difference in doing this sculpturally rather than adding the step of subtracting the volume. do you see my point? Also if and when you are satisfied with the Voxel result convert it to surface by using the switch in the vox tree and then you can crispen the edges using the surface pinch tool.

3D Coat already has some beautiful Subtraction art being produced, Tinkers Thread is a prime example. So subtraction in my eyes is a different Workflow by example.

My two pence. :)

• Advanced Member

oh! thank you LJB , you are biG! I had not seen up to now your answer ...

I don't quite understand because I have difficulties in English, Have you opportunities to make some screenshots to illustrate your explanation! thank you in advance! :D