3DCoat Forums

Ordibble Plops

Ordibble Plop

My first voxel sculpt with 3D Coat and an attempt to get to grips with the brushes and workflow. I learned a lot but still feel a little like I am modelling with a really soft plasticine - it seems to need a deft and subtle hand. Though I think I wore out half a Wacom pen nib through all the smoothing. A more responsive move tool on my machine would help a lot too - I have a 9600GT (64 processors), which from the manual I guess doesn't make CUDA really worthwhile on my PC.

The sculpt is pretty unfinished, especially from the neck down, and I made the mistake of not fleshing out the complete overall form before increasing the res. On my next sculpt I also think I will have to break my 'traditional' thought patterns and make more use of the volume generating tools rather than just pulling and painting.

I watched the video manual and some tutorials on Vimeo, so thanks to the people who have put up training material.

mansittingonhands.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I have been frustrated at not having the time to work with 3DC and struggling to control the forms. For some reason I had good control of the Scrape brush (it was my favourite) but now it just makes ugly circuar divots. I think maybe I need to tone my wacom down a bit.

Taros: I don't have a website - this is a hobby for me and I don't work in the industry. Other software I use are XSI and ZBrush.

Here's another head, although this is for a project so hopefully I'll get to do a body for him - not sure if I'll do it in 3DC as it has a deadline. It is meant to be Dante, modelled after several classic deathmasks and a reconstruction based on his skull. The hat is really ugly-lumpy showing my lack of control in 3DC for sharpish transitions.

danterender01.jpg

• Advanced Member

Wow! Awesome work, looks very realistic! So Interesting to see a Dante alive again!

And u may use new rasp-tool with couple of masks for sharp transitions or hard edges. But sometimes its hard to control in first time=)