3DCoat Forums

Zaar

howitzer

Great start! How did you create the body? Just curious about your process.

Here are some older screen shots. Notice the head is much bigger. This was scaled down in 3D Coat 3 with the pose tool.

post-179-1252554461_thumb.jpgpost-179-1252554454_thumb.jpgpost-179-1252554446_thumb.jpg

I started the project in Silo 2, which has great sculpting tools of its own but a limit to how detailed you can get. After buying 3DCoat 3, I imported the model and created the limbs with cylinders and blocks.

Sculpting in Silo 2 is actually easier than in 3DCoat 3, but stuck at 32 bits, it can never use more than three gigs of ram. It makes no attempt to compress the data or deal with it the way Mudbox or zBrush does, so it takes a lot of ram to do relatively little (around a gig for a million polygons), and I only have 2 gigs. The alternative is Blender, but again, I don't have much ram and I won't be able to upgrade for a while. Mudbox and zBrush were too expensive, I owned version 2 of 3DC, so 3D Coat 3 was my way out into the world of high-res sculpting.

• Advanced Member

Thanks, yeah I'm a long time silo user too... though I don't bother withe the sculpting as I always just did that in zb...

Mudbox and zBrush were too expensive, I owned version 2 of 3DC, so 3D Coat 3 was my way out into the world of high-res sculpting.

Lucky you =]. Lately I've actually been spending more time in 3dc than zbrush! You might have just saved yourself a wad of cash. =]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the lack of recent updates. Life demands and all of that...

I've decided to retop the model as it is and work on it as a subdivision model. The work was smoothed by a negative 1 (in blender, as you can't "tighten" in Silo), to fight against the usual smoothness of all initially retopped models. Of course, that alone isn't enough, and there's plenty of topology issues I've got to deal with. When I'm done modeling, I'll bring it back into 3DC for texturing.

Heh I was going to make him blue, so I guess it would be even closer to that thundercats character. I never watched that cartoon, though they do have some interesting character designs.

post-179-1253506097_thumb.jpg

post-179-1253506152_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Howitzer ... times they are a changing with 3DCoat and all.

Heard Blender will eventually enter the frey. Andrew sure is

pushing the envelope with 3D coat. Glad to see you hanging in there

and trying lot of software.

What kind of a system do you run and how much memory ???

I can sculpt 1 million polygons on my machine, no problem ... but

5-6 million does start to be an issue. So I can appreciate

you holding off on increasing your VOXEL RES.

To easy to get way ahead of self with RES. Much better to rough

it all in with less than 1 million.

I think your creature deserves a slightly better set of A$$ cheeks.

Otherwise, very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I see right? You are showing us the retopo steps? Nice progress.

Yeah I guess I am, and thanks for the complement =)

Howitzer ... times they are a changing with 3DCoat and all.Heard Blender will eventually enter the frey. Andrew sure is pushing the envelope with 3D coat. Glad to see you hanging in thereand trying lot of software.What kind of a system do you run and how much memory ???I can sculpt 1 million polygons on my machine, no problem ... but5-6 million does start to be an issue. So I can appreciate you holding off on increasing your VOXEL RES. To easy to get way ahead of self with RES. Much better to roughit all in with less than 1 million.I think your creature deserves a slightly better set of A$$ cheeks.Otherwise, very cool.

As a Max user, I don't use Blender all that much to be honest. I use it mostly as a video editor but this is once instance where using it as a quick model editor made sense to me.

I just have 2gb of ram, an older ATI Radeon 2600 HD, and a 2.2ghz Pentium Dual Core cpu. My hardware is in need of upgrades that's for sure.

Here is an update: finally modeled those hands.

post-179-125523085435_thumb.jpg

post-179-12552308644608_thumb.jpg

post-179-12552308743284_thumb.jpg