3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Backface Culling and Ignore Backfacing in Retopo

Vee

even there is a Z-bias. it still annoying because i have a lot of very thin mesh and i want it to retopo. but the backface polygon is still showing up and its really hard to tell which is the front and back . and the worse that i want to select the front poly, but it still selecting the backface, which cause snapping in another part of ref mesh.

• 4 years later...

Hi this is an old topic, but I wanted to know if there's a solution to this? I'm in the same boat... working on a thin surface and the xray mode is making it difficult to tell which side is which. Is there a way to toggle this off?

thx

• 3 months later...

I would also like to know the answer to that question.
Transperancy of retopo object dose NOT effect the back face culling issue.
Why would I want to see the back faces of my retopo object anyway?

Also my high poly reference mesh is getting hidden once it's on top of the view of the the retopo object,
which in some place, because of the mesh shape, it's the only angle you can work with, but than you can't see the reff mesh so you can't retopo!

And how is this topic solved exactly? no answers here what so ever is this for real?
3d coat is a nice program but since the UI is so bad and it has so many glitches the least you can do is give some decent support.
As a paying customer I must say your support is horrible! I never got any answers for any of my problems.

Topic solved, yeah right.

get your act together 3d coat devs seriously.

15 minutes ago, bez said:

Also my high poly reference mesh is getting hidden once it's on top of the view of the the retopo object,
which in some place, because of the mesh shape, it's the only angle you can work with, but than you can't see the reff mesh so you can't retopo!

And how is this topic solved exactly? no answers here what so ever is this for real?
3d coat is a nice program but since the UI is so bad and it has so many glitches the least you can do is give some decent support.
As a paying customer I must say your support is horrible! I never got any answers for any of my problems.

To be clear, for the most part there is one dev. And in my experience using this software almost since the beginning, Andrew is very good at responding to support emails.

12 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

To be clear, for the most part there is one dev. And in my experience using this software almost since the beginning, Andrew is very good at responding to support emails.

maybe when you are a master.
I am sorry if i am angry but had several times I tried to get help and I never got any reply.
I can understand as one dev it's allot of work but I still don't see how this topic is marked solved.

EDIT

though I had to register just now, so I don't know if there are old forums I used before or I somehow I posted in the past not in official forums
But I am sure I was registered to the forums and posted before.

I apologize for being an ass, it's late and I have a deadline and I can't get it to work

• Reputable Contributor

We all get angry at times, human we are... 

FYI. The only place the development team guarantees a response in the forum is in the SOS thread. Generally those that volunteer their time to answer questions will get it answered sooner than a developer will find the time to answer in the SOS thread. Everyone who answers questions here at the forum, have not been asked to by the development team but have decided on their own to help fellow 3DC users. Sometimes I can be quite active here and other times because of work or life duties prevents me from doing so. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a possible answer shown in picture.

For very thin models set your Z-bias very low so you do not see the backface of the retopo polygons that are the other side of the retopo mesh. The setting depends upon the thickness of your sculpt room object.

Opacity of the retopo mesh can be control as shown in the picture, From full opacity all the way down to just the wireframe.

On thin objects with symmetry on, set mirror snapping to "0". That way, the vertices of the opposite polygons will not snap to the ones you are building. 

Works both for true symmetry or virtual symmetry.

Hope the above helps.

Examples:

First thin cylinder shape. Z-bias .750, you can see the wireframe outline of the opposite polygons

Second thin cylinder shape. Z-bias .250 you can not see the wireframe outline of the opposite polygons

Clearing.PNG

bias.PNG

bias2.PNG

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to Backface Culling and Ignore Backfacing in Retopo
  • Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, bez said:

Could you please screen record your issue. I may be able to help. If not, I'll contact Andrew for you to try and get a resolution ASAP

• Contributor

Don, the problem is that some retopo tools, like Brush or Split Rings, when used to retopo a curved and very thin surfaces, have a tendency to snap points to backfaces no matter what snapping algorithm is currently selected.

For example, in the attached scene I used Brush smoothing near the centre of the cloth. As a result most of the new points have snapped to the other side of the mesh, and it takes some time to move those points back in place.

backface-point-snapping-example.7z

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, ajz3d said:

Don, the problem is that some retopo tools, like Brush or Split Rings, when used to retopo a curved and very thin surfaces, have a tendency to snap points to backfaces no matter what snapping algorithm is currently selected.

For example, in the attached scene I used Brush smoothing near the centre of the cloth. As a result most of the new points have snapped to the other side of the mesh, and it takes some time to move those points back in place.

backface-point-snapping-example.7z

Oh, I see. Yeah, when I have run into that problem in the past (like a dragon wing for example), I would create a duplicate of the voxel object > RMB > THICKEN or EXTRUDE a little bit. Then, once I am about ready to bake, I snap the retopo mesh to the original.

Andrew does need to look into this, though. It's probably something only he can address/fix.

• Contributor
On 3/11/2018 at 1:08 PM, Carlosan said:

New Version 4.8.13
- Backface culling in retopo works correctly

Unfortunately I don't see much difference, if any. Brush tool (in normal or smoothing modes), Split Rings or Relax still keep snapping points to backfaces.

That fix probably addressed display issues, not how snapping works.

Edited by ajz3d

• 4 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Backface Culling and Ignore Backfacing in Retopo
  • 7 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Backface Culling and Ignore Backfacing in Retopo
  • 3 weeks later...

This "ignore backfacing" option never worked. Still, 3D-Coat's Retopo Room remains, by far, the best retopo tool around. But damn, if this could be fixed ! An option, by layer, to activate the snap/weld or not, would be amazingly useful. The time I loose, at every retopo, because of my vertices snapping on geometry that shouldn't even be taken into account because they're on the other side, really far from my clicks, is super annoying. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The problem here is that the retopo mesh vertices will at random snap to the inside of the mesh. 

It doesn't do this initially.  At first it looks good... and then at some point .. you start to notice that random vertices have snapped to the INSIDE of the mesh instead of the outside.  This is in the case of a thin mesh such as cloth. 

Any kind of brushing, snapping, relaxing will not dislodge the vert.  You need to delete and recreate the polygon.

I have tried all the suggestions here as well as all the snapping options to no avail.  I guess the solution is never retopo anything thinner than a brick.

Edited by smatthews1999

• 2 weeks later...