3DCoat Forums

Orc bust

philnolan3d

• Advanced Member

Hey there Phil;

Great work wip man, kudos... My only suggestion if I may, would be to point out that the piercings on the sides of his chin seem like they were punched in after his skin sagged and dried out because the rings don't seem to have the weight to pull the skin down that much. So I would suggest making those rings fuller so as to give them more weight to be able to pull the skin that way. You could try fattening the tissue on those saggy parts a tad and a little more accessory attached to those rings like a chain or some nick nacks and whatnot would strengthen the illusion of weight. Overall, this one's really going great... Cheers :)

post-1633-12543475405225_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Nicely illustrated samples. Is the "medium resolution" used to capture detail instead of using a deformation map in your other app? Your low res looks great but deform maps can take a while to render on the other hand lots of polys can be hard to animate. This is an area (resolution) where a discussion might be useful to those like myself that have to learn by trial and very time consuming error. My needs are for animated characters with closeup versions to distant versions varied by LevelOfDetail. 3DC is an ideal medium for producing these variations (approx 3 for each character)as it has many ways of dealing with resolution beyond mere subdivision. :yes:

Nicely illustrated samples. Is the "medium resolution" used to capture detail instead of using a deformation map in your other app? Your low res looks great but deform maps can take a while to render on the other hand lots of polys can be hard to animate. This is an area (resolution) where a discussion might be useful to those like myself that have to learn by trial and very time consuming error. My needs are for animated characters with closeup versions to distant versions varied by LevelOfDetail. 3DC is an ideal medium for producing these variations (approx 3 for each character)as it has many ways of dealing with resolution beyond mere subdivision. :yes:

Thanks. If you didn't realized, this medium res. is what you get by merging the model for micro-vertex painting. The medium res is the "carcass resolution" that you choose when merging. This is the same as I did with my

model. In that case when I was rendering in LightWave I found that the displacement map added almost no render time.

very nice, congrats on getting it baked, you gonna bake the AO? I usually bake AO in xnormal. You might want to try this technique to get realistic skin that looks like it has alot of substance and variety http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v851708WcEQPerQ

I will bake AO, and see how it looks. Will xnormal take the normal maps into account? That's an interesting video, I'm actually liking a technique I found on *gasp* zbrush Central. I wish I could find the video again to share. It involved creating a few "skin brushes" and using the stamp tool to apply them. I used that on the old man as well. Unfortunately it's a little more difficult in 3DC because you have to crate the brushes in Photoshop. Perhaps I could use some of what it's your video in conjunction.

Unfortunately I'm having a problem with 3DC crashing when I try to load the .3B file now so for the moment I'm stuck. I sent Andrew a copy of the file, hopefully the next update will have the problem solved.

• Advanced Member

xnormal will generate AO textures if you put in the highpoly and the lowpoly and bake the high to low, thats generally how most people seem to get AO onto thier lowpoly model. Yeah I just like the way that dude paints the skin because it gives you the freedom to be either stylish or realistic and you choose which way to detail/colour it. what colour will he be, greenish? sorry to hear the files messed hope it gets sorted out.

@GED I figured out where that video on the skin texturing came from. It was a tutorial by Kris Kosta. It's a downloadable video. it would be nice if 3DCs brushes could work like this so you didn't have to pre-make brushes in Photoshop.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=30094 (click the bold orange text)

Sub-Surface Scattering? I dunno I'll try it, but I've always had trouble getting it to look nice to be honest. I might give him some hairs with FiberFX though. Thanks.

On a side note, I'd love to see more people on this forum finishing projects. I don't care if the quality is better than mine or worse, doesn't matter I just feel like most people are starting something and then moving on before going anywhere with it. Or everyone's doing nothing but these little sketches, with a few exceptions of course.

• Advanced Member

Sub-Surface Scattering? I dunno I'll try it, but I've always had trouble getting it to look nice to be honest. I might give him some hairs with FiberFX though. Thanks.

On a side note, I'd love to see more people on this forum finishing projects. I don't care if the quality is better than mine or worse, doesn't matter I just feel like most people are starting something and then moving on before going anywhere with it. Or everyone's doing nothing but these little sketches, with a few exceptions of course.

Yeah Sub surface is what I was asking..

You have a good point there..

Hair test. I think I have to raise the side strands up higher on the head and when rendering I noticed a few strands sticking though the skin on the back. I'm trying to avoid him looking like Travolta in Grease, so maybe turn the spec and gloss down some more. I also turned the reflection down and diffuse up a bit.

orcwip26.th.jpg orcwip27.th.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hair test. I think I have to raise the side strands up higher on the head and when rendering I noticed a few strands sticking though the skin on the back. I'm trying to avoid him looking like Travolta in Grease, so maybe turn the spec and gloss down some more. I also turned the reflection down and diffuse up a bit.

orcwip26.th.jpg orcwip27.th.jpg

looking better every time...great work on making his internal mouth area look 'wet'...makes him look even more realistic.

Looking great Phil, those FFX hairs are really adding to the feel of your orc. I'm digging it. :good:

I also agree with your thoughts on unfinished projects. I call it "zbrush central syndrome." I too would like to see people finish more projects, good, bad or ugly. Small or big. Simply finished is good by me.

Yeah, that kind of stuff has been plaguing ZBC for years... It's really sad. It's one of the reasons I don't go there anymore, well, that and the butt-kissing some people engage in, heh. :nea:

Anyway, you mentioned SSS being a problem in LW. Which node were you using? I got OK results quickly with the simple skin node. It would be cool to see a little SSS action on your orc!