3DCoat Forums

Scott's Work

Scott Padbury

• Advanced Member

I wouldn't use per-pixel for a character like his, that would be better for a low poly game character. Try picking Merge Into Scene (microverts) and pick a medium resolution for the carcass and a "millions of polygons" setting, like 4 or 5 million would probably be good. This is the same way I did the head in my orc WIP, but I used close to 7 mil.

Thanks phil I will give it a go..

• Advanced Member

I wouldn't use per-pixel for a character like his, that would be better for a low poly game character. Try picking Merge Into Scene (microverts) and pick a medium resolution for the carcass and a "millions of polygons" setting, like 4 or 5 million would probably be good. This is the same way I did the head in my orc WIP, but I used close to 7 mil.

Getting alot of crashes even at lower settings don't know whats up..

• Advanced Member

To hide in retopo pick the Select tool, select the polygons to hide (hit the Faces radio button along the top if need be), then you'll see the Hide options appear with the other tools.

I want to hide parts of the object so I can get to it to retopo is what I'am after ..

Thanks..

• Advanced Member

I want to hide parts of the object so I can get to it to retopo is what I'am after .. Not sure what is causing the program to crash but that is all I'am getting when I hit the merge into scene (per pixel). Might have to set the UV's by hand..

Thanks..

Very Buggy!!

• Advanced Member

Did you tested it in GL version too? I haven't problems there.

Crashed in the GL as well..:( disappointing. Maybe the UV is making it crash since I did not do it by hand I don't know at this point all I can say is it is very buggy.. I did not save my 3DC updates to go back to..

• Advanced Member

Crashed in the GL as well..:( disappointing. Maybe the UV is making it crash since I did not do it by hand I don't know at this point all I can say is it is very buggy.. I did not save my 3DC updates to go back to..

I find a bug in 3.1.08 taht cause 3dc to crash when i unwrap a model. Andrew fixed it. You should wait the next update

• Advanced Member

Just a personnal remark on model :

The arms could be some more longer in proportion with legs and have some more volume/muscle like the legs also.

The characters seems to have smaller arms than legs.

To see it better just flip vertically the picture of the character (old 2D drawing tip used by Stan Lee or another great marvel drawer : i don't remember :) ) !!

• Advanced Member

Just a personnal remark on model :

The arms could be some more longer in proportion with legs and have some more volume/muscle like the legs also.

The characters seems to have smaller arms than legs.

To see it better just flip vertically the picture of the character (old 2D drawing tip used by Stan Lee or another great marvel drawer : i don't remember :) ) !!

I don't know about that if he did he would look like and ape..post-653-12548481154147_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Seems like anything with merge (microverts) and it crashes..I even did a clone and degrade thinking that might help but it still crashed.. Any other ideas on how to get this into paint?

Send it to Andrew and let him wrestle with it. Meantime, when your arms are at your side or front, where do they reach on your thigh?

if anything is out of proptrtion, it is the figure thorax. Handsome head looks too small to big abdomen. :pardon:

• Advanced Member

Send it to Andrew and let him wrestle with it. Meantime, when your arms are at your side or front, where do they reach on your thigh?

if anything is out of proptrtion, it is the figure thorax. Handsome head looks too small to big abdomen. :pardon:

because of the shirt makes it look out of proportion..

• Advanced Member

because of the shirt being big makes it look out of proportion a little but it is not..

• Advanced Member

Here is another reason why I did not want to fool around withe the shirt to much because it is hollow and leaves holes. I don't know why when you merge parts it leaves it hollow for some odd reason . That could be why it is crashing I don't know.

post-653-12548759104325_thumb.jpg

Excuse for loosing this thread. In general I can offer you this workflow:

- use merge for per-pixel painting with normalmap with slightly more dense retopo wireframe if it is for render or use it as is if it is gaming model.

- if you want to hide use cell hide in voxels.

If you have constant crashing, send me the model and I will manage it quickly ( support@3d-coat.com )

And if you have some urgent of painful problem - write to support, I will always help.

I didn't say per-pixel mode was bad or only for game characters. I use it all the time. What I did say was that for this kind of a model I think microvertex would be better. With microvertex you'll be able to sculpt the medium res mesh in the painting room. Also the main reason I said it was that he was having trouble retaining detail and I think, In my opinion, microvertex would be better at retaining that.

• Advanced Member

Excuse for loosing this thread. In general I can offer you this workflow:

- use merge for per-pixel painting with normalmap with slightly more dense retopo wireframe if it is for render or use it as is if it is gaming model.

- if you want to hide use cell hide in voxels.

If you have constant crashing, send me the model and I will manage it quickly ( support@3d-coat.com )

And if you have some urgent of painful problem - write to support, I will always help.

Thanks Andrew I appreciate it.. I will do just that.

• Advanced Member

I didn't say per-pixel mode was bad or only for game characters. I use it all the time. What I did say was that for this kind of a model I think microvertex would be better. With microvertex you'll be able to sculpt the medium res mesh in the painting room. Also the main reason I said it was that he was having trouble retaining detail and I think, In my opinion, microvertex would be better at retaining that.

Thanks Phil for your help..

I could never get the microvertex to work for some reason it would just keep crashing on me .. I'am going to send it to Andrew and see what he says and can do..

• Advanced Member

Okay, now I have a new problem...Yes more. I got it to go in merge for per-pixel paint with normal map just fine but for some reason, I get a hole in this one area and it has a yellow line in retopo, which has know faces, which is strange..Any clue? There is no hole in voxels as you can see from the second pick..

post-653-12549588772855_thumb.jpgpost-653-12549588868719_thumb.jpg