3DCoat Forums

Not deaf

IKHandel

Excuse the title but hopefully it raised a smile!

ok my retopo question

I am using the male head bust that comes with 3DC as my retopo practice piece.

All goes fairly well everytime until I get to the ears.

The ear protudes away from the head at the back. So obviously behind the ear there is a very narrow valley between ear and head.

For the life of me I struggle to build good retopo geometry in this area,

1 because its hard to see,

2 because its pretty hard to get at, even when zoomed really close

3 using either quads, points, faces or strokes the app seems to struggle to decide whether I am placing the points or quads on the ear area or on the VERY adjacent head area. Because its so tight in that area the stroke tool is all but impossible to get a decent flowing edge to work off.

As a result all too often I seem to end up with geometry thats almost bridging over the gap at the back of the ear, rather than following the origonal shape.

Am I missing a good workflow here to overcome this?

I guess a similar area I need to overcome (with the same 3DC male head bust) is the VERY slightly opened lips, again I have problems with the quads seeming to be somewhat hard to place they kind of snap to one place or another either the roof or lower inside of the mouth/lips.

Again any input from more experienced users very welcome!

Thanks

IKHandel

OOps I nearly forgot

In the UV editor there is a button for adding a cluster. In none of the vid tuts or the manual is any use for this option ever given. I can plonk the cluster "blob" where I want on the 3d UV'd mesh/map window but what the heck am I supposed to do with it then? Is it some sort of UV island defining thing?

• Contributor

hi, IKHandel...I'm still new to alot of this, but I did find that we can use the move tool in the sculpt room (radius at 15 ...depth and smoothing at 100%) to pry the ear out from the head, then afterwards, use the smooth tool while pressing shift to seperate the back-side crease of the ear even more (optional).......(u can use the move tool to move it back closer to the head after detailing or leave in position)....hope this helps.

• Advanced Member

I just tried to retopo the areas you mentioned. It is pretty simple if you use "Points and Faces" mode because it allows you to precisely place your vertices before they become faces. First you make a big loop, and then you use "Split Rings" and it will become a set of finer loops that you can then adjust.

I guess this is what you meant

post-1190-1253663517_thumb.png

Thank you both for your tips.

3D Sculptress,

good tip I will have a go with that method. How easy is it to get the mesh back to its exact origonal shape using this method I wonder?

ps I like your online name sort of sounds like some sort of greek goddess lol

Kay_Eva

Thanks for the going to the trouble of capturing pics and the tip on use of split rings. I notice on your pic the innermost ring is not overly far back into the mouth, any tips on how to get the quads made that are even further inside, they are the ones that give me grief?

If anyone would care to knock up a vid on how they retopo ears and surrounding area it may be useful not just to me but others as well? any takers?

Cheers

IKHandel

• Contributor

Thank you both for your tips.

3D Sculptress,

good tip I will have a go with that method. How easy is it to get the mesh back to its exact origonal shape using this method I wonder?

ps I like your online name sort of sounds like some sort of greek goddess lol

Kay_Eva

Thanks for the going to the trouble of capturing pics and the tip on use of split rings. I notice on your pic the innermost ring is not overly far back into the mouth, any tips on how to get the quads made that are even further inside, they are the ones that give me grief?

If anyone would care to knock up a vid on how they retopo ears and surrounding area it may be useful not just to me but others as well? any takers?

Cheers

IKHandel

hi, IKHandel.....as for the method I mentioned, Phil (philnolan3d) just left a vid link yesterday, he said that 3dioot did an ear tutorial a few months ago: http://www.vimeo.com/5134607

and LJB just created a vid this morning that you might want to check out... here ...both vids may be very helpful, I know they were for me, cause they cover several areas that I wasn't really accustomed to yet...and you may want to run a seperate thread titled ''Tutorial Needed--retopo ears and surrounding area'' or just mention it to Phil or 3dioot, n I'm sure one of them would be glad to create the vid......(n as for my online name,, it's kinda like callin a mouse a lion, right now, lol,,but you know what they say, ''if we dream (&work) hard n long enough, it just might come true wink.gif )

Thanks again 3D_Sculptress.

Had seen the ear tut by 3dioot awhile back,and very good it is too.

Followed your link and watched philnolan3d's new tut. If only I could produce such useful results that fast.

Practice and more practice I guess.

As for mice and lions, I am at the Dung beetle stage B) , but hopefully determination and lots more practice will

pay off, hopefully this century! I guess without the journey there would be little satisfaction.

IKHandel

• Contributor

Thanks again 3D_Sculptress.

Had seen the ear tut by 3dioot awhile back,and very good it is too.

Followed your link and watched philnolan3d's new tut. If only I could produce such useful results that fast.

Practice and more practice I guess.

As for mice and lions, I am at the Dung beetle stage cool.gif , but hopefully determination and lots more practice will

pay off, hopefully this century! I guess without the journey there would be little satisfaction.

IKHandel

thought I'd leave you a link to the ear models that I just finished ..I posted the first ear model after watching 3dioot's and then posted another set of ears in the same thread after watching LJB's tutorial...it does seem to get easier each time,,and the easier it gets, the swifter I'll get,,same with you, I'm sure.....

attachicon.gif transmit_small.pngFirst Try at Ear Sculpt (previous post;Head/Face Sculpt from Sphere)

thanks for the Ear Tutorial 3dioot !

here's a link for a demo that I created for a 2D paint program..(the first link) .the second link goes to a 3D vid I made while playing around with iClone.(and one of iClone's models) ..I'm looking so forward to eventually animating the models that I create in 3DCoat...but like you said, practice n more practice...wink.gif .