3DCoat Forums

Yet another Licensing question

cookepuss

I've been going back & forth about getting 3DC for a while, especially since I'm happy with ZB. However, I see more than a couple of reasons to add 3DC to the mix. However, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the licensing specifics. I searched the forum and couldn't find a concrete answer. I read the purchase information on the main site and that still wasn't 100% clear.

Let's suppose I buy 3DC next week or so. (I only intend on using 3DC on ONE PC, btw) I send in my payment & Pilgway sends me a serial. Here's where my confusion begins.

1) Is 3DC hardware locked? IOW, would upgrading my vid card or any other HW element force a new serial request or activation?

2) Suppose I have to reformat my HDD and reinstall the OS. Same PC. Just a standard OS nuking. Not that I enjoy it doing it, but it happens. Do I have to deactivate/uninstall the license before resetting my PC to factory settings? What if I forget to deactivate/uninstall the license before nuking the OS?

3) Will upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 affect anything, activation/license-wise?

I guess the reason I'm asking is because Pixologic/Adobe/Autodesk style (de)activation is insanely annoying. That's part of the reason why I love Maxon's serial only, hardware independent, & no activation method. It's old school, but it's also no muss, no fuss when it come to OS reinstall or hardware upgrading.

Online activation or hardware locking isn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but I do see them as utter annoyances that I'd be much happier to avoid if possible.

Would this be cut and dry?

In my case my computer in work is part of the work farm so is left on 24hrs a day. Equally at home I have a 2 computer farm which is also on 24hrs a day. If I've been using 3DC in work, forget to close it down and go home and continue working will my serial immediately be erased? Does it not work the same as Steam which simply deactivates all other logins once a new login is activated so its still impossible to be logged in on more than one computer at any one time?

Point being (I got distracted) ..is there a grace period or is one mistake all it takes to lose your license?

1) Is 3DC hardware locked? IOW, would upgrading my vid card or any other HW element force a new serial request or activation?

2) Suppose I have to reformat my HDD and reinstall the OS. Same PC. Just a standard OS nuking. Not that I enjoy it doing it, but it happens. Do I have to deactivate/uninstall the license before resetting my PC to factory settings? What if I forget to deactivate/uninstall the license before nuking the OS?

3) Will upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 affect anything, activation/license-wise?

1) It is not hardware locked, I recently upgraded my computer with a number of parts. No problem.

2) Again, no problem.

3) Nope.

Yeah I have it installed on my desktop and laptop and just make sure one is closed before using the other. A couple of times I have forgotten and gotten the pop up alert but obviously my license is still fine. I think it might pop up a "red flag" for Andrew where he can decide if there's any funny business going on.

• 11 months later...