3DCoat Forums

Best tools to make video (or interactive) tutorials :

• Advanced Member

The video tutorials are top :)

They avoid reading manual and are lot more fast,easy ot learn from.

So what are the best tools to make video tutorials or flash like interactive tutorials ?

And the most used sites are Youtube and Vimeo, but perhaps there are other free ones in better definition ?

Hey Ratchet,

I find that Vimeo has the best quality of the free sites.

I use Camtasia Studio 6 for my recording needs. There are some others out there, even a free one called Camstudio. But it produces HUGE files and has minimal features. Though it is easy to use.

I use BBFlashback for my videos. The Express version is free and still offers nice features:

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

As for where to upload. I usually put it on both YouTube, because it's more popular and Vimeo, because people in some countries can't get YouTube. The down side to Vimeo is that you can only upload one HD video per week and I'm trying to make all of them HD. YouTube will take as many HD vids as you want but a small drawback is that it needs to be exactly 1280x720. Anything different will be compressed down to SD and a smaller resolution.

• 4 months later...

I love using Camtasia's baby brother Jing. The free version only records to swf with a brand but for $14.95usd a year you can also record in MPEG-4, unbranded. Both versions only record for 5 minutes, but was best for my 3d tutorials. I found camstudio to be poor quality (very pixelated when recording 3d screens such as poser or hexagon) and huge files sizes when I tried it. At least it's what I'm gonna use till I buy Camtasia.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I love using Camtasia's baby brother Jing. At least it's what I'm gonna use till I buy Camtasia.

I was just on the TechSMITH site and I couldn't figure out why someone would want to use Jing and then import into Camtasia Studio when they can just use Camtasia to record in the beginning? I can't think of any advantage to use Jing over Camtasia can you? From looking over the demo videos it appears that Jing would be great for creating short video tutorials of 5 minutes or less and at FREE its a no brainer for adding to your toolbox.

BTW, there is a newly release CamStudio 2.6 Beta if anyone is interested in testing it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Jing is great, but the 5 minute limit is a problem. If you are on a mac, let me suggest Snapz Pro X. It is a bit pricey at $70. But it does a good job of recording large screen shots and recompressing them. I have recorded 20 minutes of 800 x 600 at 8 fps and had no problems; the compression through Quicktime is quite good too.

Exelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

Just last night I upgraded to Jing Pro and I don't think it has the 5 minute limit. It also saves as MP4 which means faster uploading times and smaller file size, plus it can upload directly to YouTube if you like. The thing that bugs me is that it's $15 and they automatically charge you another $15 every year.