3DCoat Forums

ATI and an SDK with OpenCL support...

mocaw

I want to buy a new computer before the end of the year. Until two week ago I had no doubt about my new video card. Nvidia next generation.

But after the last presentation (one very impressive (ATI), the other just a paper launch with FAKE video card (nvidia)) I was very confused. My choice is pending toward ATI 5870 (I'm not a pro and professional video card are tooooo expensive).

CUDA was a reality in program like 3D Coat, but OpenCL is the future (convergence).

Is there is already a time frame for the porting?

How are ATI driver with 3D Coat (I had always nvidia card and the driver was quite good)?

DirectX 11 tesselletion (hardware in ATI card not in Nvidia) can be used in program like 3D Coat?

Thanks

Luca

• Contributor

I want to buy a new computer before the end of the year. Until two week ago I had no doubt about my new video card. Nvidia next generation.

But after the last presentation (one very impressive (ATI), the other just a paper launch with FAKE video card (nvidia)) I was very confused. My choice is pending toward ATI 5870 (I'm not a pro and professional video card are tooooo expensive).

CUDA was a reality in program like 3D Coat, but OpenCL is the future (convergence).

Is there is already a time frame for the porting?

How are ATI driver with 3D Coat (I had always nvidia card and the driver was quite good)?

DirectX 11 tesselletion (hardware in ATI card not in Nvidia) can be used in program like 3D Coat?

Thanks

Luca

3DCoat still rely on DX9 like most actual 3d sculpting apps(also xp is still widely used and is far more solid than vista)

DX10 features compatibility are more widely implemented in 3d engines for the moment.

3D sculpting apps taking advantages of either dx10 or 11 features are to my knowledge still non-existing.

There have been some issues with 3DCoat and some ATI cards although I could not tell you which ones

(I think Ati cards for laptops are not good with 3DC).

Some people seem to be having a good experience with ATI cards+3DC but I highly recommend sticking to Nvidia.

Some people seem to be having a good experience with ATI cards+3DC but I highly recommend sticking to Nvidia.

Usually I was with you, but now I have to wait at least January/February and there are no benchmark yet on the new generation.

I NEED to change my actual PC (Pentium 4 HT with nvidia 6800GT)....

• Advanced Member

I have an ATI hd4850, and my experience with 3d-coat (and pretty much everything out there) has been quite good. There used to be certain mysterious bugs (small things) in the first few months (drivers get updated monthly), but nothing that made it unusable etc.

It was one of the first batch, so it had the reference cooler design, which is not that great. But as a graphics card, it is a really good card. I have several fans in my computer case, so this is not a big problem.

I have yet to feel left out with CUDA, as it works pretty fast for my needs (including 3d-coat).

That has been my experience so far.

So if you're going for ATI, check also what fan is being included with the card.