3DCoat Forums

Spacepainters painting adventures

spacepainter

• Advanced Member

3DCoat sculpt,paint. Lights and and render in Maya+MR.post-1736-12544045280684_thumb.jpg

I solved part of the puzzle how to get every map in the right place from 3dcoat to Maya.

It works smoothly once you know where to put your feet, so to speak.

But it remains a mystery why I can't paint on voxels directly. Would be more interactive.

Also, I can't render the painted stuff. Nor put an extra light on it.

That would make it unnessecary to switch to another program, if you like to paint ( and don't need to animate or make games. ).

• Like 1

• Contributor

3DCoat sculpt,paint. Lights and and render in Maya+MR.post-1736-12544045280684_thumb.jpg

I solved part of the puzzle how to get every map in the right place from 3dcoat to Maya.

It works smoothly once you know where to put your feet, so to speak.

But it remains a mystery why I can't paint on voxels directly. Would be more interactive.

Also, I can't render the painted stuff. Nor put an extra light on it.

That would make it unnessecary to switch to another program, if you like to paint ( and don't need to animate or make games. ).

hey, spacepainter...that looks cool..you are very creative with designs and color....I presume you used the wrap tool to bend it ?...looks like you had fun playing with the alphas,,I like experimenting with those, too....as for painting voxels, , if you want, go back n check out my lil yellow chicken in my 'Wings N Feathered Things' thread, ....I built it in the voxel room, then exported it as an obj, then imported it into the paint room, (imported as 'model for per pixel painting) n painted it there....then I took it straight to the render room and rendered it ..you can render it as a jpg, tga,,etc.,,or animation..in the render room, select ''render frame sequence'' and the options for the animation, turntable will open up, .(you can also export your uv maps, etc. from the paint room, then touch them up in an external editor, then import them back in..) ....as for light settings, there are 3 light settings on the far left of the 'camera' option (right above the work screen area) ...'ambient', 'primary' and 'angle'...not sure if you'll achieve the settings you require, but they are very useful.....well hope this helps and glad my wings were an inspiration to you. I'll be looking forward to more of your progress. ttyl.smile.gif

• Advanced Member

O, Thanks a lot, so it ís possible to render in 3dcoat after painting!I thought it wasn't.

Most people here work for animation and industry so they always export to Lightwave or other. I just like to sculpt and paint for now, because I make decorated walls and ceilings.

I always use "quadrangulation for PerPixelpainting" to get the voxelpie into the paintroom, don't know if that gives different results.

Yes, freeflow, like that word! Mardi Gras!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Thanks, Sculptress, 3DCoat ts unparalled when it comes to spontaneous actions. I feel much better work coming ;-)

I like the idea of making landscapes that a group can put artworks in and work on together.

Do you know a good piece of software for that?

hi, spacepainter...sure, check out 'TrueSpace'..(it's a free 3D software program)...I have the TrueSpace program, and I haven't participated in their real-tme collab section yet, but they have a section where several members can build 'real time collaboration in a shared space'

http://www.caligari.com/

http://www.caligari....llaboration.asp

ref ;

trueSpace7.5 is the only 3D authoring tool capable of real time collaboration in a shared space1. This makes it ideal for rich online community meetings, learning, collaborative design and upcoming 3D social networks.

trueSpace users would participate in weekly informal meetings to meet friends from around the world, collaborate with them and learn. The snapshot below was taken towards the end of one such meeting, some 3 and half hours after the official start.

TNLSepLight_s.jpg

collabhedding.jpg

trueSpace 7.5 provides for real time collaboration of a distributed production team, members of which can meet live inside simulated 3D pre-production set, from anywhere in the world where there is Broadband access, simply by using laptop with a DX9 graphics card.

collab001.jpg

Work Together

Every single authoring tool inside truespace7.5, even legacy trueSpace6 tools, can be used in online shared space where you see, hear and work with other participants just like you would in a real world.

here's the newest version download page ;

trueSpace7.61

http://www.caligari.com/downloads.html

as far as I know, 3D objects from other programs can be imported into TrueSpace.

• Contributor

Truespace has some really techy features to be an 'oldie', lol......but, thought I'd mention, iClone is a great program, ..wouldn't be 'interactive', but I've also been thinking about creating a 3DC Virtual 3D Art Gallery in iClone4. ...models from 3DC can be imported into iClone via iClone's 3D Exchange....but as for me, that's a process that I have yet more to learn about...usually no problem exporting the objects, (unless they're too large) but I run into problems trying to get my uv's in,,probably cause I still have alot to learn in lots of areas.... but another route to get 3DCoat creations into iClone would be to create single images or gifs with our 3DC renders and then apply the images/gifs to billboards inside iClone....and there is a fine art to mastering the camera operations, but then we could create seperate galleries on seperate terrains,etc. then stream them together into one vid or several vids.... I may post a thread for this concept, see if the other 3DC'ers might be interested too. lmk if you'd be interested , if you are we'll get started on getting the terrain galleries set up in iClone. you'd need to buy iClone in order to help in that area, but even if you don't want to invest in iClone right now, you could still submit your 3DC images, gifs,etc...just lmk.

Ref :- Truespace

Just thought I would chime in here as an ex Truespace beta tester .

With MS pulling the plug on truespace a few months back the app and ALL its vid tuts are now completely free. How long the caligari forums/site stay up is a ticking clock, It can't be long before that facility is removed.

If you need to find all the hardcore users/movers that now keep the Truespace flame alive, (in fact I see they are still actively improving it) the place to look is now

http://www.united3dartists.com/

Whilst you are at it check out the "shared spaces" thread on that site for some TS shared space inspiration (free scenes for shared online spaces)... pretty amazing stuff.

Heres the link to a very clever free TS addon. For sure this is a load of fun!(Realtime webcam/video projection onto 3D objects in shared space)

http://www.siprogs.sk

Have fun

IK

PS If you get into Ts a bit PM me, I have a partial addon (free) that enables realtime shared modelling in shared space. Unfortunately the TS development plug was pulled before ALL the modelling tools got implimented for shared space, but even what I have still really rocks. Shared space as it officially stand is great for galleries, animation, multy realtime viewers in same space with text chat. A friend and myself really pushed this area of TS with tons of research bla bla, shame it ended prematurely. Incidently adding free Skype voice conference calling to a shared modelling/animation session is just amazing... loads of fun.

Hmm nostalga.. getting carried away there lol apols for the fanboy zeal :)

Edit: Obj files CAN be imported/exported with TS both as a free option (but more time consuming) or with a low cost ($15 ish) plugin developed by Frootee... a real nice guy (you will find Frootee on the united artists forum, linked above)

@ 3D_Sculptress

I have Iclone 3. From what little i know about IClone (I haven't really used it much) Truespace shared spaces is a much more straight forward way to get OBJ and textures in and out of a shared space. IE ANY when a user enters a TS share space, they automatically have a temporary download of the complete space (including the space itself) plus any included objects(complete with textures) placed as a cache on their own pc. Its just a simple copy and paste to permanently keep anything within the scene, IE any obj files complete with textures. even animated textures. The only downside of TS shared spaces is any visitor MUST have the Shared space viewer or the full TS app pre installed on their computer.

HTH

IK

• Contributor

I totally agree with you, IK, Truespace has alot of great features. ..right after I was introduced to Truespace, I was introduced to voxels, n once addicted to voxels, have had very little time for exploring other apps,,but Truespace's 'proceedural animation' scripts area is very interesting...I really want to explore more into it.... especially when I think of the hours it could save from not having to manually add the animation for certain scenarios.

I guess it's just easier for me to get around in iClone at this point because I've worked with it longer than Truespace, (i have iClone4) but, like I said, iClone isn't interactive. I'm sure they will be in the future, tho. but yes, Truespace would be the best route for a realtime interactive experience. it's just that 'realtime interactive experiences' require interacting with others at a scheduled time, etc...personally, not sure if i could keep up with that at this time,,,but on the other hand, building a virtual 3DC gallery wouldn't require 'schedules', and would be possible via iClone or Truespace, either one. (or combined, even)

but with that said, if some of you want to try the Truespace 'realtime interactive experience' , lmk, n I'll give it a try.smile.gif