3DCoat Forums

Hexagon+Gordon Surfaces

artman

• Contributor

Hi I just wanted to post to say I tried Hexagon today for the first time,

And that thing: Gordon Surfaces..its incredible! :yahoo:

Its like Moi3D curves network but in a kind of poly patch mode.

(Im interested in a 5-20 minutes operation to recreate any objects 8))

Also the drawing and snapping of curves is by far the most intuitive I`ve ever experienced.

http://documentation.daz3d.com/hexagon/tutorials/data/gordon_dta.mov

Shapes come out uncapped some times but Andrew said auto-close mesh on import is planned.

With Gordon Surfaces imported to voxels allowing further tweaks (with booleans,extracts and primitives )Im convinced someone can find a good workflow to recreate any objects in that time range(real objects are hard to "sculpt" ),

In all,it would means more free time to sculpt freeform hardsurface and organic fun and less time spent (and money) in max or maya making accessories and stuff.

Of course there is already some pseudo curve networks meshing in those expensive apps(through nurbs ect),but either the export to polys is bad or the tools themselves arent getting you there faster than good old poly-modelling.

But with that little lowcost app I think its possible to outrun any poly-modelling operations by just drawing a few curves and click(using curves with different :o vertex counts)

• Advanced Member

not really nurbs (i don't exactly know what is a nurb)

there are curves which can be transform to polys

each curve have some handles you determine with click very intuitive and speed process

you can have cercles, arcs, bezier ...

sounds interesting. can it do booleans and have a clean curve? And when you convert to poly is it clean? Looks very cheap like moi.

• Contributor

sounds interesting. can it do booleans and have a clean curve?

I didnt try Hexagon booleans but they are probably not as smooth as Moi3d

(because its about the best booleans you can get)

but what I saw in Hexagon is that they are very interactive,you can edit or move the shapes even after the operation and the boolean update in realtime.

But anyway...my plan is to use 3DCoat booleans :brush: and to use Gordon Surfaces only to make object parts. :D hehe