3DCoat Forums

Cyborg - Voxel Sculpt to Retopology

Oliver Thornton

• Advanced Member

Hi folks,

I decided to give this guy his own thread here in the WIP forum. You may recognize him from my Doodle thread. I actually managed to create a retopo mesh for him despite his chunky thighs, so I thought I would post the results. Seems there may even be a chance to animate him now that the poly flow is all looped out. I'm also attaching a link for a 360 turn rendered in 3DC.

post-506-12575470372788_thumb.jpgpost-506-12575470300291_thumb.jpgpost-506-12575470215501_thumb.jpg

http://www.OT3D.com/cyborg_full2retopo.swf <=animated swf of full voxel and retopo mesh (basically the 3 images posted here with transitions).

http://www.OT3D.com/cyborg_turn.mp4 <=voxel 360 turn

Painting up next I think. Final renders will be posted in the Finished Works forum. I already have some ideas for my next model, definitely in a more rigging-friendly pose, perhaps something more monstrous.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys!

@James Thornton: So funny, my brother's name is James as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your Slayer sculpt, great concept sketch.

Rolled out of bed this morning and after a cup of coffee and some Cocoa Pebbles threw some UVs onto the model. Literally took about 5 minutes from boot-up to full UV mapping. Had to grab a screenie to show:

post-506-12576267970319_thumb.jpg

Only problem seems to be that UVs get destroyed with subdivision. Dropping a note for a feature request to fix that in a sec. Off to run some baking tests now to see how much of the voxel details I can project.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

@James Thornton: So funny, my brother's name is James as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your Slayer sculpt, great concept sketch.

Cocoa Pebbles are where it's at.

Regarding the slayer sculpt, you got the wrong guy.... Although, if the work you're referring to is good enough, I'll be glad to pretend I did it for public recognition! (j/k) Must be a third James in the mix now. Common first name.

I do hope to share some work soon, still learning this awesome toolset and neat ways to fit it into my usual workflow.

Cheers,

The coolest James Thornton in the world B) (tell your bro don't be mad, it's just how it is!)

• Advanced Member

Cocoa Pebbles are where it's at.

Regarding the slayer sculpt, you got the wrong guy.... Although, if the work you're referring to is good enough, I'll be glad to pretend I did it for public recognition! (j/k) Must be a third James in the mix now. Common first name.

I do hope to share some work soon, still learning this awesome toolset and neat ways to fit it into my usual workflow.

Cheers,

The coolest James Thornton in the world B) (tell your bro don't be mad, it's just how it is!)

No, you're right I am totally confused. It's chris_solo that's doing the Slayer. Serves me right for having multiple forum tabs open while i'm responding and posting right after my first coffee.

• Advanced Member

Thanks very much geo.

Here's an updated image and a link to a new 360. This is a first pass of painting, usually something I do to rough out concepts to use in the final pass. Most of the detail in this particular pass comes from cavity tests and a few simple textures. This was done in mv paint mode, I think I'm going to use dp for the actual final color and spec layers.

http://www.OT3D.com/cyborg_1stpaintedrender.mp4

post-506-12578583868867_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Turns out Andrew was unable to view the last 360 due to codec issues. In case anyone else had similar issues I am reposting it as a wmv.

http://www.OT3D.com/cyborg_paintedturn01.wmv

@Taros - Thanks Taros. I will post it there when it is finished, it is still a little too uniform in detail for my tastes.

Cheers,

-Oliver

• Advanced Member

Thanks very much geo.

Here's an updated image and a link to a new 360. This is a first pass of painting, usually something I do to rough out concepts to use in the final pass. Most of the detail in this particular pass comes from cavity tests and a few simple textures. This was done in mv paint mode, I think I'm going to use dp for the actual final color and spec layers.

Very cooll!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi all,

Sorry for falling off the map for a bit, been a heck of a month. This project has been sidelined, but I will update soon.

@YearoftheOx - Yes, the projection captured all of the detail in the mesh, including the shaders and an occlussion pass. The only problems I encountered were the result of the pose I created and can be easily avoided with a bit more fore-thought in design.

@Geejay - The sculpt was created as separate layers and then blended using detail layers which were merged into the larger layers when I finished. There is a response to your PM on this subject with more details, but that is the basic technique used.

Happy Holidays to all!

-Oliver