3DCoat Forums

How to start voxel mode without the ball ?

Amber

i second Amber with this plus i add one thing very annoying for me :

when you merge an object on voxels, it is really ridicully downscaled and when you scaled it and press enter

2 objects are in the scene : the real one and another fake one !!

i really don't understand the meaning of this workflow here, i need to move away the flickering object to begin the work....

voxels are an enigma to me but that's it, i only doing retopo so it was just an opinion.

You don't have to move the proxy object to start working, just pick another tool, which you have to do anyway in order to start working.

And yes, like Tony said, to start with an empty scene just start with the empty box button instead of a sphere or primitive.

• Reputable Contributor

when you merge an object on voxels, it is really ridicully downscaled and when you scaled it and press enter

i really don't understand the meaning of this workflow here, i need to move away the flickering object to begin the work....

voxels are an enigma to me but that's it, i only doing retopo so it was just an opinion.

I had the new version of 3Dcoat only a few weeks. I havn't found a way to disable the ball but it's is easy to remove it's under the voxtree dialog box, the x at the bottom.

Demether, when you are merging an object (obj,lwo,etc) for voxels, it's small because of you have yet to increase the voxel density for the object. Scale it up and watch the bottom of the 3Dcoat screen and you will see the voxels increasing.

Once you have the density at the level you want, press enter and you get the voxels appearing under your imported merged model(hence the flicking). No need to move anything, just select a tool and the gray model disappears leaving only your voxel object.

If you have two merged objects (obj,lwo,etc) showing when you scale up then you have symmetry turned on... Turn it off before loading your model file that is to be merged.

• Advanced Member

As was said, you can always click the [x] in the startup splash screen.

Another way to avoid starting with anything in the scene...

hit the "x" in the upper right splash box. it will disappear leaving you with a pristine scene to work from, but the splash/startup screen will reappear when you start 3DC next, or when you create a new file.

I had thought the following worked, but alas, it still leaves a sphere in the voxel room if you turn off the "show import thumbnails on startup" it really shouldn't have anything if this is disabled.

Therefor, under the following 2 situations, I think it needs to be fixed so there is no sphere (IMHO)

The permanent ways to avoid starting with anything from the splash screen...

if you don't want to see the splash screen ever again, uncheck the box in the lower left "show at start up"

Or you can go into preferences and uncheck that box "Show Import Thumbnails on Startup".

if you want to turn that back on, go into preferences and check the box to "Show Import Thumbnails on Startup".

• Advanced Member

i really don't understand the meaning of this workflow here

Yes,it's really .... weird?, should be on the Andrew's list 'to do'.I see it like that: I import object,it has same scale like in original object,it's turned into voxels and I can paint.

Using welcome/splash screen is not an option because I had switched it off (who needs it anyway ?) every time I use new document and then move it voxels I got the ball.Simple check box in preferences like 'start voxel mode always with blank layer' would do the trick.