3DCoat Forums

Cartoon Female ; 'Saphire'

3d_sculptress

• Contributor

started this one from scratch, using the vox 'sphere' tool.....just playing really, (but also learning, as always)..she is a cartoon, so her porportions are not meant to be completely realistic, of course, and this is just the base foundation..I'm sculpting this one from a cartoon character that I created from my imagination, no ref pics....I've started detailing a long-sleeve shirt on her, but haven't decided on its length yet. ...her belt and beltloops are sculted on seperate layers....haven't even started on her hands or her back body section, or adding cloth wrinkles, etc...so have a ways to go yet...but thought I'd post it for now....smile.gif

(ha, i just noticed her pupils are floating away from her eyeballs, unsure.gif lol...i'll fix that rolleyes.gif )

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--3.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--2.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--1.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy-14-.jpg

• Contributor

thanks, digman...yes I love voxels...am totally addicted, lol...but I've had 3DC for a few months and haven't even been inside the retopo room yet .. .well i glance in there every now n then, but I'm just not ready for that yet,unsure.gif,,,,that'll be something else to look forward to, tho.wink.gif

• Advanced Member

Good model start :)

You can use the Voxel Tree, to make your model in several parts , if you want to have body detached from clothes.

You'll see Retopo is so powerful and easy :

Juts create a quand then use the button "add quads", it's automatic, nothing to

learn (in some seconds you'll understand it) !

Keep it up.

• Contributor

just a small update ...I seperated her shirt, pants and shoes to seperate layers...will seperate her hair to a seperate layer next...I've given her hands some shape, but not detail ....

(and thanks for the prompting, Ratchet...I ' created a quad then use the button "add quads", with a test object last night, like you suggested...will keep exploring it further :)

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--7.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--5.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--6.jpg

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--4.jpg

• Advanced Member

Good progress !

You can make some sort of hard edges on side of clothes , near the neck if you want.

There are lot of ways :

-Hide voxels , than delete hidden voxels.

-Use the multi line pen in standard Push mode : Draw arround voxels and Press CTRL to delete a region and make some plane

-Use the new Flatten Tool

Keep it up.

(I'll be interested when you will do a full retopo to see your polygons flow , and after the Normal map generation :) )

• Contributor

Good progress !

You can make some sort of hard edges on side of clothes , near the neck if you want.

There are lot of ways :

-Hide voxels , than delete hidden voxels.

-Use the multi line pen in standard Push mode : Draw arround voxels and Press CTRL to delete a region and make some plane

-Use the new Flatten Tool

Keep it up.

(I'll be interested when you will do a full retopo to see your polygons flow , and after the Normal map generation smile.gif )

hi, Ratchet....I was wondering what would be the best way to work with those edges, so thanks for the tip...I created a test-shader for her clothes ...still needs some tweaking, but I like the velvety/suede look that it has..

here's the zip for the shader if any one wants to try it out, might make a good base if nothing else.

http://www.easy-shar...urbyMHines1.zip

Leather-FurbyMHines1a.jpg

• Contributor

here's another update...I made her some lips, hair, underclothes and boots (all on seperate layers...the top and bottom lips are on seperate layers and the boot upper and soul are on seperate layers) ...... .still got alot of tweaking to do to her face/body tho..

I also scuplted her entire body, which is now seperated from all the other parts/layers (pants/tops).....so now I can dress her in whatever type clothes that I decide to create, whether it be dresses, shorts, short-sleeve tops, etc.....

but here's what I've done so far....

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--8.gif

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--9.jpg

• Contributor

thanks, Rene, Kay...Rene, I adjusted her chest and added some depth to her eyes, etc...(thanks for your input)...Kay, I'm no expert, n still have alot to learn about eyes, but I'll be glad to share my eyes with ya...I made this set as a temp,,when I rework them I'll send you the update, (maybe tomorrow) but here it is if you'd like to use them as is for now.....you can adjust the iris colors via the shaders, but if you want me to send you a particular color, just lmk....I'll try n make a quick vid tomorrow on how I make my eyes.....glad to see you back smile.gif

Kay, here's the eye zip ...

http://www.easy-shar...nAnatomy-14.zip

here's the shader for the eye (white) and the shader for the iris (green textured) ...you can just unzip them to your shaders folder.

http://www.easy-share.com/1908445980/3DC-MHines Freebies-Textures.zip

Rene, here's a close-up on the eye area...(still have lots of tweaking to do..)

3DCoatV3-MaryHines-HumanAnatomy--10.jpg

• Advanced Member

Much better proportions ! :good:

Did you use spheres on a separate layer to build the eyes around?...if not, you should try. For me it's much easier to achieve the right look and proportions by adding two spheres in the right scale and sculpt the eyelids with toothpaste or muscle tool.

greez, Rene

• Contributor

Much better proportions ! good.gif

Did you use spheres on a separate layer to build the eyes around?...if not, you should try. For me it's much easier to achieve the right look and proportions by adding two spheres in the right scale and sculpt the eyelids with toothpaste or muscle tool.

greez, Rene

hi, Rene..thanks :) ,....I did use seperate layers that I put spheres on (6 layers total for both the eyes).just temps, tho....but you're right, I do need to create the eyelids on a seperate layer,,will do that asap.

• Advanced Member

Don't be scared to go in and Retopo it and transfer to paint. You will have fun with the possibilities once you get it into paint, you could add real jean material as a texture or any other cloth for that matter.. Try it don't be shy..