3DCoat Forums

vox sculpts

Yearoftheox

Hello, I'm new here, my demo is fast running out, and i've hardly been able to use it, (never enough time), here are two vox sculpts ive done in the last two days, moljnir is just some primitives/muscles thrown together, that i took through (retopo'd, basic paint) and exported to 3dsmax, with a basic shader screengrab. The zombified self portrait, started as a lowpoly basemesh in 3dsMax and imported into 3dC and noodled around abit in voxel form.

post-2190-12584286803516_thumb.jpg

post-2190-12584286904097_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments, (that was my hair circa 1990 lol). I only have 4 days left to decide if I want to buy the full program (with the $50 demo discount), I might get the student version, but I can do that anytime. I'm trying to decide if the full version is worth the extra money for me, I'm just a hobbyist so $100 makes a big difference in my decision.

Anyways I'm rambling. I'm having a problem with the zombie sculpt maybe someone can help with. Before I sculpted the Zombie'd version, I had retopo'd the head, and uv'd it just for practice. Afterwards I went back to the vox section And zombiefied my model. Now I went back to retopo the zombie version but am unable to get rid of the original. I can't delete anything. So I tried to export the vox sculpt, but just keep ending up with corrupted mesh. Does anyone have a suggestion how to extract the vox sculpt without the retopo'd low poly.

post-2190-12585107370056_thumb.jpg

post-2190-12585107477_thumb.jpg

post-2190-12585107600471_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Thanks for the comments, (that was my hair circa 1990 lol). I only have 4 days left to decide if I want to buy the full program (with the $50 demo discount), I might get the student version, but I can do that anytime. I'm trying to decide if the full version is worth the extra money for me, I'm just a hobbyist so $100 makes a big difference in my decision.

Anyways I'm rambling. I'm having a problem with the zombie sculpt maybe someone can help with. Before I sculpted the Zombie'd version, I had retopo'd the head, and uv'd it just for practice. Afterwards I went back to the vox section And zombiefied my model. Now I went back to retopo the zombie version but am unable to get rid of the original. I can't delete anything. So I tried to export the vox sculpt, but just keep ending up with corrupted mesh. Does anyone have a suggestion how to extract the vox sculpt without the retopo'd low poly.

try turning off 'symmetry' before performing any actions....you may also need to export, then close 3DC, then re-open 3DC, to swipe it's memory clean...maybe some others will come along n give some input on this also. smile.gif

I'm just a hobbyist, too, at this point, but I bought 3DC to fullfill that desire to create that drives most hobbyists, lol,,,it was more than worth the $$ spent, imo. n to be honest, I wanted to give Andrew back the 50 bucks that I saved on the discount, because as said, 3DC is worth far more than the $$ I paid for it.

2 days left. Reading my previous post, I dont think I explained the problem I was having very well, so I'll restate it. On my zombie sculpt, I had sculpted a bust from my low poly model, retopo'd it uv'd it than merged it into the scene for per pixel painting. Afterwards I revisited the bust and sculpted a "zombie" version. When i went to retopolize it, even though I deleted the previous retopology, it was still in the scene (pictured), which made it hard to re-retopolize.

On another topic, Here's a 40 min sculpt from a cube primitve, and the lowpoly model that i "zombied", which i textured in 3dc.

post-2190-12586771638365_thumb.jpg

post-2190-12586771753299_thumb.jpg

post-2190-12586771854737_thumb.jpg

Thx for the reply Ian, What do you use 3dC for mostly? Besides the Voxel doodling, I hope to use it for low poly normal mapping, and texturing, which I'm not sure if I would need more than the 2048x2048 texture limit of the academic version, but the 7 layer limit concerns me.

Speaking of voxel doodling, heres another one I did Before I retired for the night. 20 min Cylinder primitive sculpt.

post-2190-1258689083576_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I intially wanted something that I could sculpt good quality terrains,Vue has a new terrain editor which has many strong points but it just doesn't seem as intuitive as 3D Coat. I can create create a detailed mesh in XSI or Blender and then add texture in 3d coat. Thinking I might try doing one of those alien heads next and make full use of the software.

I'm not sure if seven layers is enough but if you create a couple for texture, a few for colour and maybe one for specularity I think that is enough. I'm sure people with more experience in texturing will have other ideas.

Also if you are on a tight budget it's worth saving your money for other software or good tutorials if you can find them until you are sure you know what you need.

Just wondering what other software do you plan to use.

Just ran into another problem, I was working on my blacksmith sculpt, Finishing off my retopo. I hid the lower half of the body, so I could pan around the hands better. I then went to unhide the lower torso (ctrl-brushstrokes), but nothing happend. So than I tried Unhide all under the voxels toobar, and it completely hid the rest of the model. Now I cant see anything. I reloaded the scene, same thing. Restarted 3dc, nothing. I guess I'll have to export the retopo, return to an earlier save and import the retopo? I just want to figure out why I cant unhide anthing.

post-2190-12592088217007_thumb.jpg

just finished a anvil sitting on a stump for my blacksmith. It started as a very quick low poly mesh in 3ds max, imported, given a quick smooth in voxels, retopo'd, uv'd and then cleaned up the texture in the texture editor (which I just discovered. Very handy for fixing textures. I fixed my normal map, ambient occlusion pass, and color, all without leaving 3dc.). Just wish I could export it now. :(

post-2190-12595472019397_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...