3DCoat Forums

Request a traditional workflow tutorial

Greetings all 3D Coaters.

I have been studying the 3DCoat demo and am finding it a bit overwhelming.

Could someone please point me to a workflow tutorial that one can follow from first steps of modeling to a finished model with textures etc and the resulting output etc.

If it exists I would love to get it.

Thanx

If there is none then this would be really appreciated.

Thanx but I must not have made my request clear enough.

I have seen all those tuts on the 3d-coat website.

What I would really like to see is a tut like the ones that Gnomon do on a workflow scenario with a sample mesh that is worked on - saved and then used in a third party proggy like 3DsMax eg.

This would help to get that feel one needs to use a program and remember not all of us have time to autodidact thru all the manuals etc.

OK Thanx

• Advanced Member

Understand your toolkit enough to sculpt within the voxel room a test object you would like to paint.

Click Voxtree (lower right panel)

Right click the Volume1 layer, assuming you have renamed nothing

Select Quadrangulate and Paint for Per Pixel Painting & follow the prompts.

You are then in the painting room. Paint your object and text by exporting File->Export->Export Model. Select low/mid and generate texture, normal & displacement maps.

Import into your renderer and assign the normal and any other maps the renderer didn't natively import

Get used to this basic process, then get better at it, then try some other ways.

Your challenge is to create me a smiley face with a raised eyebrow and export & render & save in the WIP thread.

The time I just spent typing this for you should equal the time to complete the challenge.

Or forget that and take your own journey...

• Contributor

Understand your toolkit enough to sculpt within the voxel room a test object you would like to paint.

Click Voxtree (lower right panel)

Right click the Volume1 layer, assuming you have renamed nothing

Select Quadrangulate and Paint for Per Pixel Painting & follow the prompts.But I want to retopologize! (Then just open the Retopo room and work on any objects that were not 'hiiden' in the Vox tree.) Now, instead of "Quadrangulate", you "Merge" for perpixel or micro-vertex.

You are then in the painting room. Paint your object and text by exporting File->Export->Export Model. Select low/mid and generate texture, normal & displacement maps.

Import into your renderer and assign the normal and any other maps the renderer didn't natively import

Get used to this basic process, then get better at it, then try some other ways.

Your challenge is to create me a smiley face with a raised eyebrow and export & render & save in the WIP thread.

The time I just spent typing this for you should equal the time to complete the challenge.

Or forget that and take your own journey...

A couple of points:

At Demeter - please try to use an english that is actually conveying some information that others can understand. Your cryptic little attempt was totally useless but thanx anyway - hmmmmm?

At Nemo - you just quoted the other guy - did you want to add something?

To the guy that actually said something helpful - that is OK and I will go my own way thanx.

I have not bought this program = I am using the demo to see if I WANT TO BUY IT.

I have a lot of stuff to do and I wanted to get a simple tut that runs thru a general workflow that would be indicative of production use. I am not asking for a big thing here as it is common with most other proggies. So please do me a favour and post stuff that responds to the question and leave the attitude out.

Thanx.

• Advanced Member

A couple of points:

At Demeter - please try to use an english that is actually conveying some information that others can understand. Your cryptic little attempt was totally useless but thanx anyway - hmmmmm?

At Nemo - you just quoted the other guy - did you want to add something?

To the guy that actually said something helpful - that is OK and I will go my own way thanx.

I have not bought this program = I am using the demo to see if I WANT TO BUY IT.

I have a lot of stuff to do and I wanted to get a simple tut that runs thru a general workflow that would be indicative of production use. I am not asking for a big thing here as it is common with most other proggies. So please do me a favour and post stuff that responds to the question and leave the attitude out.

Thanx.

Not the right tone to get some help... 8)

• Contributor

Not the right tone to get some help... 8)

My apologies to Kasperle. I actually put my contribution into the previous quote and it is hardly visible (it starts with ".But I want to retopologize!" as this is my normal workflow. Again sorry for the confusion (and sour grapes).

Thanx for the Cinema4D tip

At Nemo also thanx and no probs. All is well.

At Cuffin - hmmm what can I say - I have a "TOINE" because soemthing annoyed me and if you had bothered to read the run of the thread you would have noticed why.

So please try not to lecture me on how to express myself and maybe you need to get annoyed once in a while to recognize your own reality a bit better.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanx for the Cinema4D tip

At Nemo also thanx and no probs. All is well.

At Cuffin - hmmm what can I say - I have a "TOINE" because soemthing annoyed me and if you had bothered to read the run of the thread you would have noticed why.

So please try not to lecture me on how to express myself and maybe you need to get annoyed once in a while to recognize your own reality a bit better.

I haven't seen anything comprehensive either....just voxels. There are some titles at Kurv Studios...but you kind of are left to piece together a short tutorial here and another there to figure out a standard workflow. ....nothing that shows you how to take a low to mid mesh from a 3D application (that you already applied UV's to) and would like to apply voxel scuplting results out to normal/displacement maps (without having to retopologize...essentially modeling AGAIN...and doing UV's AGAIN).

Javis made one that shows how to take a voxel sculpt and output the result to a normal map, but it appeared he still had to retopologize it and layout UV's AFTER the Voxel sculpting. There's no doubt, 3DC has a lot of potential and can already do some outstanding work, but in my opinion, the training available for it is what is holding it back more than anything. There is a wealth of comprehensive training for ZB and MB. Once 3DC improves in this area, I think it will start to take off