3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Contributor

Well, updates have always been free, and upgrades to full versions have been minimal. Having to rely only on new seat sales stifles development, and it is not a model I would want to see Andrew adopt.

The workman is worthy of his hire. Andrew certainly is!

• Advanced Member
But first 3DC has to add a "zbrush' room among the others

A room for surface sculpture AFTER re-topo. Its already there but lacks of good tools (zbrush tools!). Now please tell me that you don't like zbrush sculpt tools... the only real rower of zbrush (as the performance of course). Voxel sculpt tools of 3DC are great too and can't live without them.

These are two different approaches, both of them are great. I'm just using both apps and this makes me happy.

A room for surface sculpture AFTER re-topo. Its already there but lacks of good tools (zbrush tools!). Now please tell me that you don't like zbrush sculpt tools... the only real rower of zbrush (as the performance of course). Voxel sculpt tools of 3DC are great too and can't live without them.

These are two different approaches, both of them are great. I'm just using both apps and this makes me happy.

At the moment the Sculpting room can't even support large numbers of polys. Since Andrew is working on Multi-threading for the paint room now I wonder if that will address the poly count problem.

• Advanced Member

I think further sculpting after retopo is not a concern in 3d-coat (since voxels, I mean in zbrush you must retopo even to be able to go on sculping properly (to redistribute polys), not here in 3d-coat is not necesary you only retopo when you are done with sculping) am I wrong?

• Advanced Member

but what do you do after complete a model in 3d-coat linux?

Well, import it to Blender, Maya, Softimage or Houdini. Render it with VRay, Thea, Octane, 3delight or any other renderman renderer. Do post production in Nuke or Shake. Paint it with Mari. And last but not least send a bill to the client. At least that what I've been doing for the past couple of years, so there must be some kind of life without Windows, right?

And Blender add-ons are Python based, so they are cross-platform if you respect some basic rules.

It seems to me you either have a very limited knowledge of 3D infrastructure or just want to troll.

Very interesting tweets tonight.

This night was hard to sleep (children). And looks like I came to very easy thought how to replace marching cubes with ...
algorithm that produces smooth surface that consists of quads only and results with much less faces than mcubes (no thin or small tris).
I have not found that this method was mentioned somewhere. Interesteng... I will implement it when will get some time.

Marching Cubes is actually the process Andrew uses to create an organized polygonal mesh FROM a voxel object.

I believe what he is indicating is that he has arrived at a better solution for automatically creating this mesh from a voxel object - one that contains only nicely spaced quads, (no n-gons or triangles).

But, at this point, it is all in his "noodle".

Greg Smith

Marching Cubes is actually the process Andrew uses to create an organized polygonal mesh FROM a voxel object.

I believe what he is indicating is that he has arrived at a better solution for automatically creating this mesh from a voxel object - one that contains only nicely spaced quads, (no n-gons or triangles).

But, at this point, it is all in his "noodle".

Greg Smith

Yes sir! You are on the dot, but then... You always are. :) Man, I really wish we could have gone for a longer beer outing in L.A. during Siggraph. That surely would have been great.

Anywho, yep, marching jello cubes. Andrew always comes up with the greatest ideas when he's around his family. True inspiration.

• Contributor

Also I made experimental option for voxels export - export as dense quads. Possibly it will be helpful to bring raw meshes to ZB.

Andrew,would it be too difficcult to implement direct merging to Ptex using that mesh?

Or without a carcass mesh 3Dcoat would have hard time giving a good painting performance?

It would be cool,users would not need to draw guides and create a good carcass mesh

and most importantly:there would be no displacement needed...

so that means no possibilities of artifacts on areas that are difficult to project/displace.

It would give great workflow: Voxel-Painting.2 step-way.

And then user can use Texture baking tool to get all maps directly from painted hires. :)

Andrew,would it be too difficcult to implement direct merging to Ptex using that mesh?

Or without a carcass mesh 3Dcoat would have hard time giving a good painting performance?

It would be cool,users would not need to draw guides and create a good carcass mesh

and most importantly:there would be no displacement needed...

so that means no possibilities of artifacts on areas that are difficult to project/displace.

It would give great workflow: Voxel-Painting.2 step-way.

And then user can use Texture baking tool to get all maps directly from painted hires. :)

Yes, I am thinking same thing too. It is just step toward this.

The only possible drawback is that Ptex carcass mesh coul'd not be tooo big, no more than 1 M approx.

• Contributor

The only possible drawback is that Ptex carcass mesh coul'd not be tooo big, no more than 1 M approx.

hmm.,,,thats a big drawback..1 million would require displacement too,its too low for usual Voxel sculpts...

but maybe projection will have less chance of errors because Dense quad mesh will be closer to hires than autoretopo generated mesh.

So that would be still great if displacemt works well on that mesh.

If not,then it would be pretty much the same than autoretopo,faster..

without ngons/tris to fix :) but wihout edgeflow...so half better/half less-good.

• Advanced Member

I would definitely like to try this. I haven't used ptex at all since it was implemented because I don't like having to subdivide a low rez mesh to work on it. Painting the sculpt (or in this case a very good optimized replica of it) and baking to an optimized mesh would bring it much closer to a zbrush-like experience using polypaint, only without needing to have proper uvs on the high rez mesh in order to bake.

I haven't used ptex at all since it was implemented because I don't like having to subdivide a low rez mesh to work on it.

As far as I understand, subdivision is necessary only if your mesh has non-quad polys, so you should be able to avoid subdivision step if you want to. Even in that case, you should be able to bake ptex texture into a regular UV space texture of your low-res mesh, granted you have proper UVs on it.

• Advanced Member

As far as I understand, subdivision is necessary only if your mesh has non-quad polys, so you should be able to avoid subdivision step if you want to. Even in that case, you should be able to bake ptex texture into a regular UV space texture of your low-res mesh, granted you have proper UVs on it.

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks!