3DCoat Forums

GTX 285 or ATI 5850?

3dCoatWannabe

• Reputable Contributor

I'm building a dual xeon win7-64 box, and am undecided on the video card.

Would a GTX 285 2GB or ATI 5850 1GB be a better choice?

The benchmarks seem to favor the 5850, but if computer graphics are a different realm than gaming, possibly I'm not getting a clear picture?

ATI cards are excellent bang for your buck gaming cards, but they don't give a flip about CG applications. I used to be an ATI guy for the longest time, but with some programs not working properly (Combustion) with ATI cards/drivers, and with NVida cards featuring CUDA and PhysX...it's a no-brainer for CG artists, in my opinion.

• Advanced Member

ATI for me work fine in most 3d packages. If you dont want to get the best performance per buck, then buy Nvidia, if you do then ATI. Most Nvidia cards are being discontinued at the moment anyway, dont know about that model.

Just on a simple level buy the card which is the best performance or wait for a newer card with a higher performance. Both cards drivers have problems in certain situations, ATI are no less reliable than Nvidia, unless someone has some proper evidence.

• Contributor

ATI for me work fine in most 3d packages. If you dont want to get the best performance per buck, then buy Nvidia, if you do then ATI. Most Nvidia cards are being discontinued at the moment anyway, dont know about that model.

Just on a simple level buy the card which is the best performance or wait for a newer card with a higher performance. Both cards drivers have problems in certain situations, ATI are no less reliable than Nvidia, unless someone has some proper evidence.

No doubt true, so it might come down to CUDA or no CUDA acceleration.

• Reputable Contributor

All I know is that I bought an ATI 4850 and ended up having to sell it in favor of an NVidia card because I had all kinds of issues with it and Combustion when compositing...practically unusable. Bought the NVidia and it worked like a charm...PLUS CUDA....PLUS PhysX which I can use in 3ds Max. NVidia just seems more friendly to the CG community, whereas ATI is solely focused on gaming.

If you want to buy a card cause you'll save $20 bucks and then wish later you had the features on the NVidia card, go for it.

I'm building a dual xeon win7-64 box, and am undecided on the video card.

Would a GTX 285 2GB or ATI 5850 1GB be a better choice?

The benchmarks seem to favor the 5850, but if computer graphics are a different realm than gaming, possibly I'm not getting a clear picture?

Get the GTX 285

why = 2GB of ram. Every graphics program you have will love you for it.

Only reason to get the ATI card is for Direct X 11 games.

For myself I am waiting for the GF100 and hopefully it will have 2GB of ram.