3DCoat Forums

Javis Jones Voxel DVD

kenmo

• Advanced Member

On the weekend I picked up from Kurv Studios Javis Jones's DVD on 3DC's Voxel tools... All I can say is WOW... This DVD is worth every penny and then some... I'm really enjoying the DVD and Javis's wacky/dry sense of humour is priceless...

http://www.kurvstudios.com/3D-coat/voxel_sculpting.php

I'm looking forward to anymore DVDs, tutorials or webinars from this talented artist....

While I was watching the DVD I fired up 3DC and was voxelling along with Javis (abeit at a much slower pace), unfortunately the 500gb Seagate drive I was saving my work to crashed... :-( So I'll have to restart...

Cheers

Ken

• Reputable Contributor

On the weekend I picked up from Kurv Studios Javis Jones's DVD on 3DC's Voxel tools... All I can say is WOW... This DVD is worth every penny and then some... I'm really enjoying the DVD and Javis's wacky/dry sense of humour is priceless...

http://www.kurvstudios.com/3D-coat/voxel_sculpting.php

I'm looking forward to anymore DVDs, tutorials or webinars from this talented artist....

While I was watching the DVD I fired up 3DC and was voxelling along with Javis (abeit at a much slower pace), unfortunately the 500gb Seagate drive I was saving my work to crashed... :-( So I'll have to restart...

Cheers

Ken

I think a good follow-up would be to go through a more traditional workflow, that ZB and MB users are accustomed to. That is taking a low-mid poly model that already has UV's set up, and all the user wants to go is sculpt in all the detail in voxels then bake those details onto a displacement or normal map. Not having to retopologize and UV all over again. I think that workflow would be what many if not most would be interested in seeing and will probably outsell the voxel sculpting video...as that video really address only one major component of 3DC. Something more comprehensive is needed...similar to DVD's like "Intro to ZBrush" or "Intro to Mudbox."

Right now, what's available is fragmented in bits and pieces and the user has to hope they can process all those (from different sources) and come away with a decent grasp of the program overall.

One that goes through and gives a comprehensive look at each room/mode...not just voxels...and how the user can fit those into their workflow, would be rather popular, IMHO.

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger - I was aware you could bring a low poly model into 3DC but I thought that was only for painting and sculpting? I wasn't aware you could bring the low poly into Voxels? I'll have to try this when I get home...

Bottom line Javis is the man for 3DC tutorials....

I also looked at the DVD at Kurb by L.J. Bamforth on Advanced Retopology and UV but thought the tutorial was based around 3DC ver 2.0? Also I'm more of a newbie than advanced. So if it is ver 3.0 I may look at this DVD at a later date... I watched a free Kurv webinar by L.J. on sketching/cartooning and he's awesome....

Hey Ken, thanks for the kind words man, and for your support on purchasing the DVD. I really appreciate it. Truly. :)

I am sorry to hear about your HDD crash, that sucks.... I had one crash recently too. What a PITA. Any luck on recovery of the data?

I did target the DVD and webinars toward people who are mostly new to 3D, and also to 3DC. As Don points out, it would be nice to have a complete workflow training series. ;)

• Advanced Member

It's a 500gb Seagate SATA drive just a little over an year old... It won't power on so I can't even run the Seagate Tools... I tried it in another computer and also in an external hard drive case and it's dead. I phoned Seagate and they are sending a replacement drive and instructions on how to send them the failed drive...

I back up my digital photos (mostly cars & hot rods - autos are my real passion), digital art to an external 1.5 tb Seagate so I was able to restore most of my stuff...

Great DVD. Look forward to more... I'm not a strong 3D modeller, dabble in Wings3D & Hexagon. Use Vue for rendering... I do mostly 2D stuf with Corel Painter and Corel Paint Shop Pro...so your DVD was a God send... So easy to follow you... I've enjoyed your past webinars as well....

When I retire in a few years (I'm soon to be 56) I'll look forward to doing more 3D stuff... As well as more hot rodding with my own hot rod...(60 Vette)...

Cheers & all the best in 2010

Ken

Actually, KURV will no longer be carrying my materials. I will soon have a page setup on my site directly for it. :) So the links all correct on their site - Dead as they should be, they just don't have the DVDs removed from their listings yet.

When I retire in a few years (I'm soon to be 56) I'll look forward to doing more 3D stuff... As well as more hot rodding with my own hot rod...(60 Vette)...

Cheers & all the best in 2010

Ken

Man I wish I could retire. :D

Nice vehicle btw, they don't make them like that anymore.

• Reputable Contributor

Actually, KURV will no longer be carrying my materials. I will soon have a page setup on my site directly for it. :) So the links all correct on their site - Dead as they should be, they just don't have the DVDs removed from their listings yet.

So, will you have the 3DC webinar that you guys hosted back in October, which you mentioned on this site...available on your own webpage? Also, what has become of those monthly webinars?

BTW, I bought your DVD a while back and hope to see a follow up title...something along the lines of "Intro to 3DC."

What I like about those types of DVD's is that there is always something an intermediate or advanced level user can find that they missed or just didn't know. That's what I like about sites such as digitaltutors.com, vtc.com, lynda.com, etc. You can pass over the areas you're comfortable with and cherry pick the areas you want to focus on. That's a bit hard to do with a 20hr sculpting session.

While I'm glad you went through the trouble to go through the whole sculpting process, I still think that a comprehensive look at 3DC, maybe a 5-20hr DVD would be much more in demand, and your sales would grow as the program grows...especially if you added "What's New in v3.x" at certain intervals, so that it stays relatively current, and you could sell the amendments as downloads for a small fee...so those who bought the original can take advantage of those.

• Contributor

So, will you have the 3DC webinar that you guys hosted back in October, which you mentioned on this site...available on your own webpage? Also, what has become of those monthly webinars?

BTW, I bought your DVD a while back and hope to see a follow up title...something along the lines of "Intro to 3DC."

What I like about those types of DVD's is that there is always something an intermediate or advanced level user can find that they missed or just didn't know. That's what I like about sites such as digitaltutors.com, vtc.com, lynda.com, etc. You can pass over the areas you're comfortable with and cherry pick the areas you want to focus on. That's a bit hard to do with a 20hr sculpting session.

While I'm glad you went through the trouble to go through the whole sculpting process, I still think that a comprehensive look at 3DC, maybe a 5-20hr DVD would be much more in demand, and your sales would grow as the program grows...especially if you added "What's New in v3.x" at certain intervals, so that it stays relatively current, and you could sell the amendments as downloads for a small fee...so those who bought the original can take advantage of those.

Good ideas, Javis! +1

• Advanced Member

Yeah... JJ's webinarsare fun and I learn quite a bit... I attended one or two Javis put on with Kurv and the one in October...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'll at a ++ for the "Import Model and Detail" workflow training. Almost never would we start with a voxel sculpt, we'll almost always be bringing in a Maya model to add detail to, often via per-pixel painting which is very strong. Vector displacements via microvertex is interesting too, very little I could find on how to best achieve that.

Cheers,

Peter B

Hey Ken, sorry to hear about your drive failure, I had 2x seagate drives fail about a year ago, 2nd one was a replacement for the 1st one :rolleyes: anyways I have used this method before to save data, throw your drive in a vacuum sealable bag and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes, trust me it has worked for me before, enough to get atleast your most valuable data onto another drive, I lost 18 months work of personal work before and it hurts, usually I'm fastidious about backing up work but...

Good luck

Morgs

• Advanced Member

Good move geothefaust :good: cut out the middle man.

To check out more excellent geothefaust training follow this link:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4529 :drinks:

Thanks all. :)

I'm going to be putting out mostly free content from here on out. I may do paid sessions later, but, I am drawing inspiration from William Vaughns 24+ hours of LW training. I'd love to see this kind of thing for 3DC, as it would be an immensely invaluable resource for the community and new users.

The training materials are a little slow ATM, due to another project (that is almost finished), so stay tuned for new videos.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks all. :)

I'm going to be putting out mostly free content from here on out. I may do paid sessions later, but, I am drawing inspiration from William Vaughns 24+ hours of LW training. I'd love to see this kind of thing for 3DC, as it would be an immensely invaluable resource for the community and new users.

The training materials are a little slow ATM, due to another project (that is almost finished), so stay tuned for new videos.

Hey Javis, on that note I'd like to make 2 requests if I may...

1)Trying to Mimick the traditional 3D application>ZB>Sculpt/Detail/Paint>export to 3D application. I'm going to be working on a character shortly that I may try to screen capture and add voice over afterward, but in case you can beat me to it, could you import/merge a character into Voxels and instead of doing retopology from scratch, simply import your original low poly model into the retopo room and snap that to the voxel mesh. From there, I'm sure you may want to tweak it some...maybe add some new loops and such. Then to the UV room, and to Per Pixel Paint and export model out.

Someone here mentioned that once they initially merge the model into the voxel room, they immediately, before doing any sculpting, import and snap the low poly model to the mesh in retopo...and then periodically re-snap verts a few times in the sculpting process, to make it easier for the model to snap correctly in the end....especially if there are large changes in the model, and not just subtle detail.

I think that is the workflow, most would be interested in seeing.

2) Tips on How to get a clean merge into Voxels...half the time, I get an ugly result and just give up even trying...even when trying to subdivide the model once or twice before hitting enter. I seem to get some measure of artifacts 90% of the time....even if the model's shape is relatively simple.

Thanks Javis

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there!!

I was very close to launching it yesterday - But luckily I found a monster bug that was ruining the download links.

I'm testing the download links as I type this to make sure they all work and that the files are complete and decompress with no errors. I like things to flow smoothly for customers. :)

Sorry for the delay folks. It's been a long process, a very long process indeed...

While I haven't officially announced it - The DVD is now on sale again. We've ran through lots of bug testing with the ecommerce system, everything seems to be good to go.

Currently only in digital distro, but hey, at least you get it rather quickly yeah? ;)

It can be found here:

http://javisjones.com/trainingandwebinars/dvdtraining/

I'll be making a more formal announcement tomorrow. Thanks to all those who are interested!

• Reputable Contributor

While I haven't officially announced it - The DVD is now on sale again. We've ran through lots of bug testing with the ecommerce system, everything seems to be good to go.

Currently only in digital distro, but hey, at least you get it rather quickly yeah? ;)

It can be found here:

http://javisjones.com/trainingandwebinars/dvdtraining/

I'll be making a more formal announcement tomorrow. Thanks to all those who are interested!

Could I make a suggestion or request about this DVD? Would it be possible to make a brief amendment video, explaining some of the differences in the toolset since this dvd was made, and how it may affect someone trying to follow along...as well as perhaps a different approach to a given method? Some examples might be, covering the "depth" in the E-Panel for a cutting operation (instead of going all the way through an object)...and perhaps showing how free form primitives might be the quickest way to tackle a given shape that you worked on in the original tutorials...also, show how to best blend between two freeform primitives, etc, etc.

This way the DVD is somewhat brought up to date...and perhaps also make it available as a separate download for those that have already purchased the dvd.

I actually was working on an update like that, but, in a seriousness, the time it was taking is simply not the the scope of the project, nor the price of the materials. Actually the reason it is $20 instead of a higher price is because I scaled it according to the relevance of what the tools are like right now. Updating 22 hours of training is just not an option. I've got to move on to other projects and other training videos.

That all said, I am strongly considering the recording a much shorter video that briefly covers some of the changes and a mention, especially the big ones (epanel & "cutting" with ctrl + tool, come to mind). It would be sent by email to people who purchased already, and would be added to the current downloads for future purchases.

• Reputable Contributor

I actually was working on an update like that, but, in a seriousness, the time it was taking is simply not the the scope of the project, nor the price of the materials. Actually the reason it is $20 instead of a higher price is because I scaled it according to the relevance of what the tools are like right now. Updating 22 hours of training is just not an option. I've got to move on to other projects and other training videos.

That all said, I am strongly considering the recording a much shorter video that briefly covers some of the changes and a mention, especially the big ones (epanel & "cutting" with ctrl + tool, come to mind). It would be sent by email to people who purchased already, and would be added to the current downloads for future purchases.

I guess I didn't clarify what I was referring to....just maybe 5-10 minutes or so to point out some of the changes that have occurred since you first made it, and cite an example where a new tool may be used (without going into a lengthy demonstration of any kind); not trying to redo whole segments of the original. That's why I stated an "amendment"...sort of like Dan Ablan does with some of his Signature Series DVD's.