3DCoat Forums

Viral

Ghostdog

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys - I have some great ideas now :)

I decided to render the initial image at 3000px which I'd normally never do, hoping to reuse parts of the intial as assets in a scaled down version. (These are the slightly blurred ones bottom left corner)

Looking at it now I think rendering so large caused me to underestimate the blur needed to get a good DOF. I might try another smaller image with DOF within render (renderer used here was Vue 8 )

I like the idea of the background instead turning into a downward spiraling, almost Saxophone type of tunnel - but with the same texture. It'd be nice to achieve a feeling of immense plunging depth below the close-up viruses

Will be massive render times with DOF added but I think worth it B)

• Advanced Member

Hey Robbie - cool post - have you played with groboto at all? Its also got some pretty cool features which could compliment your kind of work- I think it even supports animated sequences/video - if you wanted to have these kinds of abstract sculpture animate.

Jake

Will be massive render times with DOF added but I think worth it B)

Why render the DOF? Just render the zDepth pass and the beauty pass, then load it into Photoshop and use a filter, like the one by Richard Rosenman.

If you have a postproduction tool, you could load it into and use a DOF filter there.

I am working with softimage f.e. and could use the fx-tree there. But it is easier in Photoshop using Richards plug in or something similar.

• Advanced Member

I am still learning how to get a good depth pass from Vue but I know it's much quicker using Photoshop. There are some stunning images on Richards site! It's my birthday today so might just treat myself woohoo :)

Jake - cheers mate, yes I'd given an earlier version of Groboto a good trial. It was pretty good but I thought to myself it might make me too 'lazy' if you know what I mean?

Oops forgot to say my re-render is obviously attached. Looks better,no?

post-1094-12605776655395_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ghostdog

• 1 month later...