3DCoat Forums

Voxel fun!

PascalR

Hi 3DCoat community!

Ok here is my first post here, I just downloaded the latest 3dCoat demo and must admit this is so much fun to mess around with voxel! Well done to the 3dCoat team!

Here are my first 2 sketeches.

Is there a way to convert voxel into poly inside 3dCoat and optimize/reduce the polycount (similar to decimation master)?

Cheers!

Pascal

post-2350-12625907593882_thumb.jpg

post-2350-12625907806695_thumb.jpg

All very nice stuff! I saw what some of the other guys are doing on CG Feedback too, makes me want to go join!

Thanks! please join :)

Here is another one, I am really enjoying the brushes now, I am in love with 3dCoat :)

monstre.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Cool. This one is really nice. A official gallery candidate!

:good:

Pascal, you can import your original low poly mesh into the retopo room and snap/conform to your voxel model instead of having to retopo from scratch. I think that may be the closest you can come to a ZBrush/Mudbox workflow...and when you're ready to add even smaller detail, the Per Pixel Painting (in the Paint Room) will paint Normal and Bump maps on your model on the fly, in real time (using the same brush stencils/masks). I'd like to see where you go with this, with some texture and added detail. FWIW, the painting and UV layout tools rock too.

Hope to see what you think after a test drive in those areas. By the way, there is a section in the forums called 3DC Exchange...where there are a bunch of brushes, textures, shaders and such. If you have any favorite brushes you wouldn't mind sharing (I bet you have some cool ones for texturing skin and such), please feel free to add to the pot. :)

Pascal, you can import your original low poly mesh into the retopo room and snap/conform to your voxel model instead of having to retopo from scratch. I think that may be the closest you can come to a ZBrush/Mudbox workflow...and when you're ready to add even smaller detail, the Per Pixel Painting (in the Paint Room) will paint Normal and Bump maps on your model on the fly, in real time (using the same brush stencils/masks). I'd like to see where you go with this, with some texture and added detail. FWIW, the painting and UV layout tools rock too.

Hope to see what you think after a test drive in those areas. By the way, there is a section in the forums called 3DC Exchange...where there are a bunch of brushes, textures, shaders and such. If you have any favorite brushes you wouldn't mind sharing (I bet you have some cool ones for texturing skin and such), please feel free to add to the pot. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, I will definitely give the texturing and re topo tools a go soon.

One brush I am missing is the inflate/bulge one. I know it works according to polygon normals usually and I can see why it could be tricky with voxel. But I use this brush all the time to get fleshy wrinkles, even to the point where the geo is crashing with itself sometimes :)

Also, it would be nice to have an option in the smooth brush (maybe it's there already) that would behave like in polygon mode. For example, when small tubes meet a larger surface, I would expect their base to get larger and merge into the main surface, right now the voxel is kind of melting until the volume disconnect from each others.

anyways, great tool you guys have created

Cheers

Pascal

One brush I am missing is the inflate/bulge one. I know it works according to polygon normals usually and I can see why it could be tricky with voxel.

I have heard someone say Increase is similar to Inflate/Bulge. Personally I just use Build for just about everything.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I will definitely give the texturing and re topo tools a go soon.

One brush I am missing is the inflate/bulge one. I know it works according to polygon normals usually and I can see why it could be tricky with voxel. But I use this brush all the time to get fleshy wrinkles, even to the point where the geo is crashing with itself sometimes :)

Also, it would be nice to have an option in the smooth brush (maybe it's there already) that would behave like in polygon mode. For example, when small tubes meet a larger surface, I would expect their base to get larger and merge into the main surface, right now the voxel is kind of melting until the volume disconnect from each others.

anyways, great tool you guys have created

Cheers

Pascal

If you mean Inflat/bulge - moving vertices along it's own (not averaged) normal, I can easily do it.

Of course it will work only in surface mode.

If you mean Inflat/bulge - moving vertices along it's own (not averaged) normal, I can easily do it.

Of course it will work only in surface mode.

Hi Andrew,

I would love to be able to sculpt wrinkles with the negative extrude tool with the sharp alpha, and then use a bulge brush that would beef up all details without smoothing the creases out. Right now I need to be careful where I use the increase tool if I don't want to loose the wrinkles sharpness.

Here is my sculpt for today, 1h in voxel land trying to practice wrinkles.

Cheers

Pascal

fat.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow! Awesome! Every work are greaT! Looks like they want to get out from the screen and have alive =)

Best regards!

cheers Methelina!

Haven't been playing with 3dCoat for a while, but went back to it yesterday evening, just a quick thing for fun.

I love being able to switch from poly to voxel and vice versa, well done Andrew, this is an awesome tool

post-2350-0-65935300-1307914954_thumb.jp