3DCoat Forums

Improved display engine

philnolan3d

Not sure How involved this is. I'm no fan of zbrush, but I must say when I see screenshots people post they look really nice, not detail or polycount or anything like that, but the way the model is displayed. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though. Like the lines are crisper, maybe there's more contrast, not sure.

• Advanced Member

Not sure How involved this is. I'm no fan of zbrush, but I must say when I see screenshots people post they look really nice, not detail or polycount or anything like that, but the way the model is displayed. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though. Like the lines are crisper, maybe there's more contrast, not sure.

Someone just needs to be generous enough to right some improved shaders. The redwax ones we have now are buggy for me and the cavity aspect doesn't display in a very appealing manner. So I just think it's up to a user to decide they want to improve the current shaders and also make sure they are more compatible because some of them dont' even work on my PC.

I'm no shader author.

Another thing I've noticed about the display engine is that I see color banding. Whether it's in the background gradient or on the model itself, the gradation isn't smooth. I don't know if this is just my 2 year old graphics card or what. Anyone else see it? I don't have banding in any other applications I use.

Edit: I just went to have a look at the WIP gallery. I'm sure it's not just me because I see it in other people's screenshots.

Attached is a screenshot of 3DC background with the same gradient done in Photoshop beside it. I do see a little banding on the PS side, but the 3DC side has much more.

post-466-12629855365259_thumb.png

• Contributor

Another thing I've noticed about the display engine is that I see color banding. Whether it's in the background gradient or on the model itself, the gradation isn't smooth. I don't know if this is just my 2 year old graphics card or what. Anyone else see it? I don't have banding in any other applications I use.

Edit: I just went to have a look at the WIP gallery. I'm sure it's not just me because I see it in other people's screenshots.

Attached is a screenshot of 3DC background with the same gradient done in Photoshop beside it. I do see a little banding on the PS side, but the 3DC side has much more.

Maybe its your monitor, Phil. I don't see banding in either side. :blink:

OK I put that gradient on my screen and messed with my monitors color settings until I found a preset that has no banding on the Photoshop side and just a tiny bit on the 3DC side. 3DC itself now has little to none. Sorry about that. Of course the 1st post of this thread is still valid.

• Advanced Member

This might not be completely relevant to this thread (and a little wishful thinking) but it would be nice if Andrew added full-screen shaders.

bloom, dof, maybe a sharpen and "find edges" shader?

Adding a little Unsharpen Mask in photoshop to a screenshop of a sculpt in 3DC helps bring out the details nicely.

And a transparent overlay of Find Edges works kind of like a cavity shader.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmm I don't recall noticing this before but I do see color banding in the darker colors of my model when I rotate it (3DC 3.700 OpenGL Win7 - 64). I've adjusted my monitor and made it less obvious but the issue isn't in Zbrush, Lightwave 10.1 or Photoshop sooo. This actually looks a lot like how the Color space banding problem looks in Lightwave 10.0 in opengl. Kind of a 16-bit color display look to it instead of 32-bit color.