stevecullum

Ptex format for 3DCoat?

130 posts in this topic

That is not difficult because in intrinsic level I can show only textures and all this will be represented as "tricky" texturing. Anyway, I am interested how it will work.

Very good. I am curious. :)

I was not able to resist to make some tests with Ptex technology & 3D-Coat engine. And I am excited with the result - seams are (almost) invisible! I thought that seams may be an issue for Ptex & 3D-Coat approach, but it works very well. I think I will do Ptex very soon after 3.2 release. Of course that are only first tests, but anyway... Ptex is really worth to be done. And what is good - you will be able to use Ptex objects from 3D-Coat even in engines that don't support Ptex - just export model and textures.

On the picture - only 1 million of pixels.

ptex.png

and with subpatching and bigger depth:

ptex2.png

and this is how small bitmaps are packed:

ptex3.png

That sounds exciting Andrew!

To help me understand, is that equivalent to a 1k map with more pixel density in the trunk (front) of the character?

Are you able to change pixel density per poly? A quick video showing the basics of how it works would be beneficial.

Also, do you have a rough price-point in mind for this plugin yet?

Great stuff! :clapping:

It is almost equivalent to 1k x 1k. Actually 1k x 1k texture takes 700-800k pixels.

I don't know about price point. Possibly it will be free. At least for existing customers.

Anyway, I have no final point on this.

And the pipeline is easy - import object like it is for microvertices. Now only quads are supported. Local dencity can be changed. Of course I have not checked it, but it is relatively easy to do.

That is looking awesome. Great job Andrew. :yahoo:

Screenshot Looks gorgeous!!Very fine and clear.

Andrew, will it be possible to bake voxels to ptex?

It would solve eternal problem of automapping+microvertex.

Then we could use texture baking tool to transfer the textures to the lowpoly with Uvs...

I was not able to resist to make some tests with Ptex technology & 3D-Coat engine. And I am excited with the result - seams are (almost) invisible! I thought that seams may be an issue for Ptex & 3D-Coat approach, but it works very well. I think I will do Ptex very soon after 3.2 release. Of course that are only first tests, but anyway... Ptex is really worth to be done. And what is good - you will be able to use Ptex objects from 3D-Coat even in engines that don't support Ptex - just export model and textures.

On the picture - only 1 million of pixels.

Looks very nice. What about pixel painting? Or is this something completely different? I hope you will support tris, too.

Best wishes

Chris

Wow. Fabulous! Soon I can forget whatever (very little) I know about UVs! In the whole world, only Javis will miss UVs. :-)a

@Andrew ... damn you are FAST!!

looks promising :)

is the speed ok ? will there be long waiting times with highres meshes like in microvertex mode now ?

It's funny, the idea with voxels is having the freedom to sculpt first worry about polygons later. Soon we'll be able to sculpt and paint first then worry about polygons later. B)

Ptex is really worth to be done. And what is good - you will be able to use Ptex objects from 3D-Coat even in engines that don't support Ptex - just export model and textures.

Now that does sound cool!

Why don't you just intergrate it into 3DCoat as any other function? I can see this being a big selling point...No UVing, No Seams, Rock 'n' Roll :drinks:

Great job Andrew! :drinks:

Wait, I don't understand, does this mean we'll never have to make a UV map in 3dCoat again? Even for game engines?

Wait, I don't understand, does this mean we'll never have to make a UV map in 3dCoat again? Even for game engines?

No game engines and actually most other 3D programs right now do no support Ptex, though of course this may change quickly. So for now if you paint with Ptex you'd still have to make a UV map and bake the paint to that when you export.

No game engines and actually most other 3D programs right now do no support Ptex, though of course this may change quickly. So for now if you paint with Ptex you'd still have to make a UV map and bake the paint to that when you export.

Then I'm not quite understanding Andrew's comment here:

And what is good - you will be able to use Ptex objects from 3D-Coat even in engines that don't support Ptex

Then I'm not quite understanding Andrew's comment here:

Maybe because you didn't post his entire quote:

you will be able to use Ptex objects from 3D-Coat even in engines that don't support Ptex - just export model and textures.

3D Coat has to do this intelligently or else it just ends up being a very seamless, albeit impossible UV map to handle in any 2D imaging application much like others pointed out Zbrush does. If there were some way to have the model flatten in sections (watch the youtube video of PTex in action to see what I mean) in order for someone to take it into an application like Photoshop to manipulate, then bring those changes back into 3D Coat, that would be astounding. Don't get me wrong, I use 3D Coat a lot for doing base texture work, especially for seams, but a lot of finer details are better left doing in an app such as Photoshop still. Maybe even export large islands based off of a quick retopo? Something to make it human-editable out of 3D Coat... Granted I realize a major selling point (besides the multitudes of one's discussed here) is the fact that little to no texture space is wasted due to the nature of the format, so obviously some sacrifice would be made on that end.

Andrew, it's amazing what you're doing, quite possibly paving the way for future artists... thanks and keep up the great work!!

Maybe because you didn't post his entire quote:

Thats the confusing part - just export model and textures, I interpreted as 'No UV maps to create - just export model and textures'

Thats the confusing part - just export model and textures, I interpreted as 'No UV maps to create - just export model and textures'

I see, sorry I read it to mean that we'd have to bake it to a UV, since that's what other programs know how to read.

I see, sorry I read it to mean that we'd have to bake it to a UV, since that's what other programs know how to read.

Sure - I was under the impression that any export would auto-create any UV that was needed. So in that way I assumed we wouldn't need to create anything ourselves. Perhaps Andrew can clarify the situation?

Wow. Fabulous! Soon I can forget whatever (very little) I know about UVs! In the whole world, only Javis will miss UVs. :-)a

lol, It's true!

This is a welcome addition, UV missing aside. ;)

I hope you will support tris, too.

Best wishes

Chris

Unfortunately this is not up to Andrew, it's just the way the algorithm works apparently. Ptex just doesn't support triangles or n-gons.

Unfortunately this is not up to Andrew, it's just the way the algorithm works apparently. Ptex just doesn't support triangles or n-gons.

Ptex does support triangles, no n-gons though.

http://ptex.us/tritex.html