3DCoat Forums

Protean

Nemoid_

I wish 3dCoat had an optional cursor like Protean and Blender

Really? Why? That just looks like poorly made software to me. I've seen other programs do that and it just felt unfinished.

I watched some of the tutorial videos for this. It looks pretty awful, but then it's still new. It's pretty much like 3DC 3.0 was in it's really early alpha stages, except that Andrew wasn't trying to sell it at that point, he waited until it was more fleshed out. This is also a lot more expensive for what you get. I'm curious where they go with it, but for right now I don't think Andrew has anything to worry about.

• Advanced Member

at the risk of not sounding properly fan-boy-ish, thanks for sharing that link, Nemoid_ . :D

I particularly liked the looks of deforming with an actual object (

)

at around the 2:10 mark... would be a handy addition in 3DC to actually use another primitive 'brush'/object

to deform (thinking about rotation, specifically) voxels like that such that it was real-time, yet somewhat

mechanical with the axis constraining. (as opposed to just using alphas and volumes which mainly just cut/add,

but not deform like the video)

Of course, I'd much rather see other areas of polish done to 3DC before something like the above was attempted.

(I'm looking at you, alpha curve editor, radial brush, auto-quadrangulation control improvements, colored specular,

etc.) ;)

Tried the demo installed it. Wow this is truly horrible attempt at sculpting, and they are charging $100 bucks for this. I wouldn't even pay $10 for it. I mean it is truly bad and the company is founded by some phd's. This is so amatuerish. Uninstalled 5 min later.

• 1 year later...

Well technically there are a number of games that use voxels, that's what Andrew worked on before making 3DC. LightWave has had hypervoxels for a decade, and in this video you can see how voxels are used for making fire and smoke in LightWave & C4D using Turbulence Fluid Dynamics.

http://download.jawset.de/particle_mode_preview/

Well technically there are a number of games that use voxels, that's what Andrew worked on before making 3DC. LightWave has had hypervoxels for a decade, and in this video you can see how voxels are used for making fire and smoke in LightWave & C4D using Turbulence Fluid Dynamics.

http://download.jawset.de/particle_mode_preview/

True, I'd forgotten about hypervoxels, and I now remember reading about certain game engines using voxels. I guess I should say voxel sculpting program, not just voxel program. I'm only aware of these three such programs now.

Also, pardon me if this sounds a bit clueless regarding the technology behind voxels, but I've gotten into the habit of thinking the counterpart to a voxel in the poly world is a polygon, but maybe it would be more accurate to compare a voxel to a vertex/point? Or is this an apples/oranges kind of thing?