3DCoat Forums

voxel freeform primitives

b33nine

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if this is a feature, a bug or something in between, but I thought I'd mention that while using the freeform voxel tools, when you turn on symmetry it still allows you to freely move the center points anywhere. The center points aren't frozen at the symmetry plane like in the retopo room, they're just allowed to roam freely.

Another thing I'd really like to see is the option to have the primitive follow the points closer. Similar to Maya where you can turn on and off the smoothing preview. It'd be a really great option for hard surface modelling.

• Advanced Member

Apparently the lack of symmetry on the central points is a feature. I've mentioned it myself and was dismissed as a lunatic and sent to Siberia for 3 years. I kidding!... :p:

But still, it's good that other people mention the issue as it may help to persuade Andrew to look into it.

For now though what you can do is to enable voxel symmetry before hitting 'Apply'. This may result in a slight line down the center of your resulting voxel object which you'll then have to smoothen yourself.

You can also manually edit the coordinates of the central points in the points list. So if you have X symmetry enabled then you just enter a zero into x axis of all the central points that you've twiddled with. Yeah I know - fiddly.. :nea: