With CUDA, 64 bit

Without CUDA, 32 bit

Without CUDA, 64 bit

OSX Version:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3D-CoatV32-11.dmg

Linux version:

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-Coat-V3-2-11.tar.gz

Changelog:

- At least I solver issue with external normalmap. I am leaving external normalmap layer unmodified (even besides islands) and applying it after creating on-the-fly padding. It gives much better output quality for the pipeline [import exteral normalmap->add details/heal/correct->export modified map].

- Possibility to smooth with shift over seams on normalmap layer. This feature was there before but worked not well. Now it works really clean and you can even soften sharp edges on the model with this tool. Also it is easy to remove seams over normalmap.

- Possibility to pan in texture view with SPACE as in Photoshop. You should choose 3D-Coat preset from [Camera] menu.

- Drawing with CAPS LOCK will hide cursor only while painting, not always. It improves precission of painting and gives better control.

- If you are in custom pivot point mode "Frame" command will move pivot point to the center of the object (and framing itself of course).

- measurement tool in voxels.

- I improved 3D grid essentially. It can be customized to work with real units. 3D-Coat will be ready much better for precise works.

- Voxel primitives will follow grid points while moved with SHIFT (use CTRL, CTRL+SHIFT for smaller step of movement)

- There was problem with scale of quadrangulation in recent build. It is fixed.

- I made possibility to measure and define everything in Voxels using physical units like inches or meters. It was longstanding request, at least I done it. It is extremely useful for real production and prototyping.

- I hope that I succeed with exporting Ptex to Renderman. At least Renderman's utility ptxview displays 3D-Coat's ptx files correctly.

- I made special simple method for external programmers to make connector between 3D - application and 3D-Coat. I hope many connectors between 3D-Coat and different applications will be developed soon. I will post full description of the pipeline in a couple of days.

- Quadrangulation quiality and speed improved. Don't expect edgeloops but it is better then it was.

- I fixed several problems with STL export/import

- I resolved object/materials palette constant duplication problem if it is not docked.

- I restored checked "Use source positions" in export dialog for perpixel painting. It is necessary if you want to export model that was subdivided, painted and uv was changed. In this case it was impossible to export coarse (unsmoothed) low-poly object.

- I made possibility to create/install 3d-coat extensions from File menu. Extension may contain any sort of files - shaders, pens, strips, materials, masks etc. It is just image of additional files in coat's folder. It is good method to share 3D-Coat's content.

- At least I made expansion pack using Oliver Thornton's textures and pens in new format (3dcpack) that is cross platform and easy to use. He sent me tons of really cool stuff (great masks and skin textures, pens) and at least it will be published to community. Thank to Oliver! There is the link to package:

http://www.3d-coat.com/big/OT_Pack.3dcpack

Use File->Install extension to install package.

3.2.08 [beta]

- Much much better correspondence between Voxel room and baked color in Paint room.

- Problem with incorrect "Framing" work in voxel tools solved.

- Framing improved - you can focus on object or on pen position (scaling depends on radius in this case)

- I have made command that is very useful when you have very many objects in scene - combine current layer with all children layers.

- Pick tool for voxels. It is very helpful if you have many layers and want to select current object visually without VoxTree

- Fixed Voxels->Ptex merging, multiple ptex objects merging.

- I have done very longstanding request from SL community - support of multiple SL objects in scene.

3.2.07 [beta]

- Solved most longstanding problem - jagged strokes in paint modes (see http://bit.ly/aiw8u8 for reference).

- Fixed incorrect work of ApplyUV command over some models especially in microvertex mode problem referred there - http://bit.ly/cylc4A ).

- Upload screenshot bugs fixed

3.2.06 [beta]

- Lines/curves in 'E' panel will not dive into surface in Voxel mode too (in the same way as in Paint tab now)

- I (and webmaster) made useful feature for 3d-coat experience exchange-quick making of screenshots from 3DC shell and hosting on our server. In so way it will be possible to post screenshots with text very quickly. It was relatively easy to do on my side.

- Merging voxels->ptex fixed.

- I have add metadata record from http://bit.ly/aN7nVX for compatibility with Renderman.

- I improved 3DConnexion support, I hope drifting issue will be fixed. 3DC will perform calibration during start. But 3D mouse should be untouched during 3D-Coat's start, otherwise drifting will appear.

3.2.05 [beta]

- Ptex import when separate textures are assigned to initial faces before subdivision (not to subdivided faces).

- Ptex files export/import in new Ptex representation (texture per non-subdivided face)

- Dynamic Ptex resolution is done in new approach - one texture per non-subdivided face.

- support of merging multiple objects/deleting part of objects in Ptex representation.

- I checked that ptx files exported from 3D-Coat are correctly rendered in external renderer. Of course I made only simplest tests.

- Splines/Lines in E panel will not dive into surface in paint room. In so way you can easily draw over curved surfaces.

- solved longstanding problem with licensing when license file gets corrupted randomly (and rarely) in the middle of the work.

3.2.04 [beta]

- Ptex export/import done. You will be able to export/import color/specular/displacement separately. Ptex files are much closer to textures so I placed export/import ptx files in Texture menu

- Merging retopo room with reference mesh/painted mesh -> per pixel painting will respect color of the reference/painted mesh. In previous builds normalmap was baked correctly but color was not baked t per pixel painting if reference mesh was used.

- In Retopo->select tool Relax will act only on vertices selected in Retopo->Select->Verices. Snap button will work in the same way.

- Fixed render problem when rendering custom size frame was not properly centered.

- I fixed multiple problems with snapping in retopo tool. Problems was especially visible on the "creature" model.

- I fixed issue with crash in Linux while using 'V' key.

- I improved cylinder-like manipulator to avoid controls squashing.

- Fixed PSD export issue - incorrect (dotted) padding.

3.2.03 [beta]

- I made much much better algorithm for limit subdivision surface directly after importing model for microvrtex painting and Ptex. Model after import will look much closer to the limit subdivision surface.

- Increase resolution in Ptex improved - faster and more efficient. Expand/contract selection is add to this tool.

- Many small improvements inside Ptex - displaying textels count, better management of local subdivision.

- better padding for PSD files export

- Fade on edges in pen options will act on all pens simultaneously

3.2.02 [beta]

- First version of Ptex implemented. Supports export/import in standard formats, ptex files export/import is not supported

- possibility to change local resolution with Ptex.

- support of big 3B files to open (>4GB)

- Normalmap strength in per-pixel mode can be corrected with Depth modulator slider in layer blending panel

3.2.01 [stable]

- Selection opacity slider was add to pose tool.

- Eraser will lower normalmap strength when applied over the normalmap layer.

- Rectangle selecton with depth limitation will work in ortho mode too.

- fixed important linux/mac issue - adding multiple layers while exporting vector displacement. Sometimes adding layers can happen on Win too.

- Missing bronze shaders recovered

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

2 days from release 3.2 .......... and now release 3.2.1 .... simply amazing Andrew, You work day and night on development of the program, You work hard, andrew you have all my respect development at the speed of light

Hey Andrew, great work on another amazing update. I think I ran into a bug however with the latest update. I used to be able to increase resolution of a voxel mesh without having it decrease in size using either the quick button at the bottom of the layer section or the voxels tab up top. Every time I try it now it shrinks the object in half.

Any one else encounter this? I'm testing it on an older mesh of mine so I'm going to run a test with newly created primitives and see if I get the same result.

*Updated* Turns out only one of the layers in my Voxtree was having this problem. Not sure why but cloning it and deleting the old one fixed the issue.

Andrew, if you'd like the file for debugging just let me know.

I just came looking to see why it's been so long since the last update and found it's been less than a week. :rofl: 3DC is like digital crack.

Yeah, isn't it crazy? Andrew when you release every week to two weeks, it gets us all totally hooked.

Andrew must be fiddling around with Ptex, seeing how to fit it in, seeing where it can take 3D-Coat.

Mmmmm.

Updated to 3.2.02 [beta]

Linux version coming soon.

- First version of Ptex implemented. Supports export/import in standard formats, ptex files export/import is not supported

- Normalmap strength in per-pixel mode can be corrected with Depth modulator slider in layer blending panel

It could be good to test how exported objects will look in other packages.

• Contributor

Updated to 3.2.02 [beta]

Linux version coming soon.

It could be good to test how exported objects will look in other packages.

I made a quick test from a quadrangulated mesh and merging is perfect on my side,no artifacts anywhere on mesh.

Much better than microverts.

Very fast also.

:)

Shader bump does not get baked although,only color.

(When and If you fix this,would you be able to bake shader bump to its own layer instead of layer1,I mean separate shader bump from main displacement ? )

• Advanced Member

Am i the only one who have major lags in 3DC when using the paint tools ? they're so slow i cannot even make one single stroke without waiting for 3DC to update the stroke on the model, and when it finishes the stroke it looks like a dotted line. :( same problem in both DX and OGL versions. I never had these issues before, it's only now in the latest versions. And it's on lowpoly objects too, no highpoly stuff.

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

Am i the only one who have major lags in 3DC when using the paint tools ? they're so slow i cannot even make one single stroke without waiting for 3DC to update the stroke on the model, and when it finishes the stroke it looks like a dotted line. :( same problem in both DX and OGL versions. I never had these issues before, it's only now in the latest versions. And it's on lowpoly objects too, no highpoly stuff.

/ Magnus

I've also noticed surprisingly slow brush strokes when dealing with large textures. I've not done any tests to see if it's a problem with the more recent versions of 3D Coat.

Could it be that you've just never tried painting on a high res texture until recently?. Have you actually tried going back to an older version of 3D Coat and painting on a high res texture?.

I'll be interested to see if things have become slower.

But for now I'm off to test Ptex!..

• Advanced Member

What i've done is use standard brushes as various sizes, no textures used and it still lags like hell. Small brushes work okay but you can't make fast strokes then you will get jagged dotted lines which is unusuable for serious work. Textureresolution for the mesh set higher than 512 pixels square makes it lag a lot too. I used to paint the very same stuff, colors on lowpoly models before without any issues like this. It seems to be something that happend in the recent versions. Also bigger bruses causes serious lags and slowdowns. :(

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

/ Magnus

yep i quote i have some problem http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4482

Well when it lags when you paint with a 16 pixels black color brush on a 1024x1024 blank white texture on a lowpoly model then there has to be some pretty serious issues in the core of 3DC.

/ Magnus

It's not as serious as you put it, at least on most people's machines. On mine small and intermediately sized brushes work just fine, and are quite fast. It only slows down with large brushes, just like in PS, ZB, and so on.

What kind of hardware do you have? What build are you running? DX or OGL? A few more specifics were really be nice if you expect something to be done about this problem, instead of just saying what I quoted from your post above. It doesn't help anyone with so little "useful" information.

• Advanced Member

hmm for the first time ever there don't appear to be any seams at all! And the texture quality is a lot better too!

One thing though is that the default texture size appears to be 2048x2048 and yet the texture appears to only be using half the available space? Maybe I misunderstand something. Also I notice in my viewport that in the voxel screen the lighting is a lot darker than in the render room or the paint room. So moving from Voxel to paint or render I have to readjust the lights a lot.

Yeah Ptex is great!

btw brush speed is great for me. I have a I5 and a GTX275

Also I notice in my viewport that in the voxel screen the lighting is a lot darker than in the render room or the paint room. So moving from Voxel to paint or render I have to readjust the lights a lot.

Yeah I've been noticing this for a long time, just never got around to mentioning it.

• Advanced Member

My hardware specs are..

-Q6600 2.4ghz

- 8gb ram

- 8800GTS 640mb graphicscard

- Windows 7 64bit

Or do i have to buy a i7 overclocked to 4ghz with 24gb ram, fastest graphicscard available just to paint colors on lowpoly models.. i can't imagine that the minimum hardware requirements should be that high for 3DC now.

As i said earlier here, same lags happen in both DX and OGL versions, there are no differences at all, it happens with with both lowres and highres textures on the model, with small brushes but not to the same degree as it does with bigger brushes, it happens all the time which makes the program pretty much impossible to paint with.

/ Magnus

My hardware specs are..

-Q6600 2.4ghz

- 8gb ram

- 8800GTS 640mb graphicscard

- Windows 7 64bit

Or do i have to buy a i7 overclocked to 4ghz with 24gb ram, fastest graphicscard available just to paint colors on lowpoly models.. i can't imagine that the minimum hardware requirements should be that high for 3DC now.

As i said earlier here, same lags happen in both DX and OGL versions, there are no differences at all, it happens with with both lowres and highres textures on the model, with small brushes but not to the same degree as it does with bigger brushes, it happens all the time which makes the program pretty much impossible to paint with.

/ Magnus

Please tell what size of texture/millions of polygones you chosen and what mode you used - per pixel, microvertex, Ptex.