3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.2 updates thread.

• Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I did a quick test and the ptex files seem to be written correctly now ! Well Done !

There is still no way to garantee that the faceids in my scene are going to match 3dCoat's faceids, so the textures tiles are all over the place in my renderman renders.

Ideally, we'd need to import meshes in a format that can store the faceids so that 3dCoat may export the ptex tiles with the same ids. AFAIK, OBJ can not store per-vertex or per-face variables. Are there any other formats we can import in 3dCoat ?

Cheers.

• Contributor

On my side ALL my files are unable to merge both in Ptex and Microvertex.

3DCoat hangs at the halfway/end of Subdivision progress.

I tried with various builds and it works fine in 3.2.02.

So it has something to do with what was implemented in 3.2.03 regarding subdivision.

Here is link to file ,already quadrangulated(dont seems to be any tris there)

You only need to try merging from retopo menu to reproduce issue.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/trilsf

Voxel layer is 7 mil polys .

I deleted all other voxtree layers to keep size relatively small but if you want me to degrade it 1x and post back I can.

(sorry,Imm too busy right now to post a proper bugreport)

Hi Andrew,

I did a quick test and the ptex files seem to be written correctly now ! Well Done !

There is still no way to garantee that the faceids in my scene are going to match 3dCoat's faceids, so the textures tiles are all over the place in my renderman renders.

Ideally, we'd need to import meshes in a format that can store the faceids so that 3dCoat may export the ptex tiles with the same ids. AFAIK, OBJ can not store per-vertex or per-face variables. Are there any other formats we can import in 3dCoat ?

Cheers.

Thanks for test. I still can't understand about FaceID. Ptex textures in ptx file are stored in the order way as in OBJ file.

Please show render result - what you see in 3dc and in Renderman.

I downloaded this and I'm afraid I don't see any difference, all of the bugs I mentioned are still there.

Maybe this a case of the Win files not getting replaced with the updated versions.

Their behavior seems unchanged from the previous upload, but the new Linux version works correctly.

• Reputable Contributor

Posted a bug report in critical thread also.

Version win32 non cuda 3.2.05 stable. Uninstalled and then reinstalled program...

When merging into scene for ptex a retopo quad model(I checked model to make sure it was all quads) the program crashes sometimes without even a bug report generated.

I was able to get one web bug reported submitted.

Edit: I quadranqulated the model also to test. When merging into scene for Ptex 3DCoat crashes without generating a bug report.

Thanks for test. I still can't understand about FaceID. Ptex textures in ptx file are stored in the order way as in OBJ file.

Please show render result - what you see in 3dc and in Renderman.

Hi Andrew,

I have attached an example of ptex faces rendered incorrectly in RenderMan.

ptex color map and displacement map were exported from v3.2.05.

post-2565-12692471867909_thumb.jpg

post-2565-12692471955189_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I have attached an example of ptex faces rendered incorrectly in RenderMan.

ptex color map and displacement map were exported from v3.2.05.

I get the exact same kind of result.

The problem is that the vertex order of the obj file isn't set in stone. Maya's importer may re-order the vertices to make it fit with its internal data structures.

The simplest solution would be to write a mapping importer that describes the face ids and use that in 3dCoat to paint and export the final file. it could be as simple as a text file storing the face indexes and the vertex positions as described in http://ptex.us/metakeys.html.

• Advanced Member

Hi,Andrew do you have any plans to create 3D modelling software ? or maybe even 3D modeling room in 3D coat ? I think I have read somewhere about it in the forums there are such plans but no news about it anymore ...

If you(and it shouldn't be too difficult for you looking what stuff you already code) could create Silo 2 clone (but make it stable with some new features in the future and your best customer support) I would love to pay for it and I'm sure many other guys either.

It would make 3D coat complete solution and would bring much more new customers than Ptex or some other fancy stuff.

OK, I swear I won't spam the forums with the same request again and again... so this will be my very last message on this subject : this morning, I tested 3DC 3.2.05 with the newest 64 bit OSX driver for SpaceNavigator, hoping for better results. But no luck : you start a movement, end it... and the camera keeps moving for a while. Still totally unusable.

So here is a question for Andrew : I understand it can be difficult to fix this quickly, but couldn't you simply adapt your licensing scheme and offer a Mac-Windows license to all 3DC Pro owners, rather than charging again for multiplatform licenses ? if we could get Windows versions for free, we would at least have the possibility to use 3DConnexion devices correctly on our Macs - thanks to Boot Camp. For me, it would be sufficient to make the decision of a 3DC Pro upgrade.

OK, I swear I won't spam the forums with the same request again and again... so this will be my very last message on this subject : this morning, I tested 3DC 3.2.05 with the newest 64 bit OSX driver for SpaceNavigator, hoping for better results. But no luck : you start a movement, end it... and the camera keeps moving for a while. Still totally unusable.

So here is a question for Andrew : I understand it can be difficult to fix this quickly, but couldn't you simply adapt your licensing scheme and offer a Mac-Windows license to all 3DC Pro owners, rather than charging again for multiplatform licenses ? if we could get Windows versions for free, we would at least have the possibility to use 3DConnexion devices correctly on our Macs - thanks to Boot Camp. For me, it would be sufficient to make the decision of a 3DC Pro upgrade.

I answered there. Please provide some details. And sorry for ignoring this topic earlier. What about licensing - I will send you free upgrade if this problem will noy be solved very soon. Please provide details ASAP, I plan update for today.

I answered there. Please provide some details. And sorry for ignoring this topic earlier. What about licensing - I will send you free upgrade if this problem will noy be solved very soon. Please provide details ASAP, I plan update for today.

Hey, thanks a zillion Andrew ! :-) I'll answer right now to the topic you point to.

• Reputable Contributor

In a somewhat related issue, the "Frame Up" or "Zoom Extents" as it's called in Max, no longer works at all. Not sure if this is a bug, as I've never been able to get anything remotely satisfactory since you added the feature months ago. If you lose the model in the viewport (sometime with the SpacePilot, the sensitivity might be a bit high, and the model goes zipping out of the viewport), hitting SHIFT + A makes it worse as it zooms wwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy out and off in a corner of the screen. This is a sore nuisance and I hope you have time to look into it sometime soon, Andrew. Thanks...

Win 7x64 w/CUDA

Also, Andrew, I noticed on your Twitter that you mentioned you couldn't test Renderman since you don't have license for it...could you contact them and let them know what you are working on? I would think they would be happy to issue you some form of license for such purposes, as it's a big benefit for their users.

• Advanced Member

we would at least have the possibility to use 3DConnexion devices correctly on our Macs

Check out this HID driver for OS X. As I work primarily on Win7, I wish something so cool were available for Windows.

This modal driver's essential for any Mac user - I gave them my money the 1st day and have been very happy.

This makes me wish I could run 3D-Coat on my Mac (which really would make sense as Modo, Lightwave, etc. all have a dual OS license).

http://www.orderedbytes.com/

Updated to 3.2.06 [beta] (Win+Mac)

Changes:

- Lines/curves in 'E' panew will not dive into surface in Voxel mode too (in the same way as in Paint tab now)

- I (and webmaster) made useful feature for 3d-coat experience exchange-quick making of screenshots from 3dc shell and hosting on our server. In so way it will be possible to post screenshots with text very quickly. It was relatively easy to do on my side.

- Merging voxels->ptex fixed.

- I have add metedata record from http://bit.ly/aN7nVX for compatibility with Renderman.

- I improved 3DConnexion support, I hope drifting issue will be fixed. 3DC will perform calibration during start. But 3D mouse should be untouched during 3D-Coat's start, othervice drifting will appear.

@Andrew : thank you ! Appearently the problem with SpaceNavigator remains the same, but I am confident that you will find a solution.

A few remarks, if it can be of any help :

- In the past, I often re-calibrated the device during 3DCoat sessions from the 3DConnexion panel - but it didn't change anything.

- I know at least one other Mac program that exhibits exactly the same problem as 3DCoat : Argile. Some others - like SketchUp and Google Earth, for example - don't have it.

- A few months ago, I had given a try to 3DConnexion's SDK. If I remember well, it offers two different ways to implement SN compatibility inside a program. Perhaps one of their two solutions is buggy, and the difference with Google programs is that they use the other alternative ?

So I'm curious what this Upload Screenshot really does. Obviously it takes a screenshot and allows you to enter some text (though I don't understand the text fields exactly), but where does the screenshot go? Is it only viewable to Pilgway? I had a small bug and made a screenshot of it but I don't know what happened to it after I hit OK.

• Contributor

Are you using Ptex or one of the old types? I just tried it with Ptex and it's working great for me, just a small issue with the mesh getting mangled in tight areas like behind the ear.

Both Ptex and Microvertex.

the Subdivision Progress hangs when I set "million of polys" level at 15.

In 3.2.02 it works fine. :huh:

• Advanced Member

looks like the long-standing 3D-Connexion issues might have been ironed out for a future build of 3DC, judging from a recent tweet by Andrew: !!!! ":-)

"I improved 3DConnexion support, I hope drifting issue will be fixed. 3DC will perform calibration during start."