3DCoat Forums

Constrain front-side-top-bottom view with Shift, like in ZBrush!

Klaus Nordby

• Advanced Member

You can use shortcuts for this, but of course snapping would be more fluent. I quite agree.

+1 would love to see this feature. I Much prefer quick snapping of views with a modifier key + tablet over separate view shortcuts.

• Advanced Member

I agree, this is a very nice Zbrush-feature!

If this got implemented one should also do the same with the brilliant Zbrush-Solution for Masking and Hiding.

This is so much quicker and always at hand - inside 3DC I always have to look for these tools first and

dive through their options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

-1 Making 3D-Coat even more like zb is not always a good thing IMO. ZB's keyboard shortcuts are also too confusing, that and the UI are some of the biggest complaints people have about it.

I guess that really depends from personal working preferences.

I've have started using Zbrush after using 3D Coat for quite some time already and I find most

fundamental workflows solved in a very mature and consistant way. 3D Coat (understandably -as it is

still such a young package) does not even get close imo.

• Contributor

Well you know what, I think anything constructive that makes the tool more usable and Natural feeling is a good thing, Personally I struggle to use the orthographic elevations because they free rotate so I see Shift pole snapping the view-port as the easiest way to make them usable. You simply have one view an Ortho' switch and hold shift and rotate the view and it snaps at 45 angles. It does not makes sense to me to constantly have to refresh my view (losing Panning and dollying of have set) just to rectify accidental rotation I just did in an Ortho' Front view?

There is, I feel a fear that leads to different approaches (Which are not quite as elegant or functional) being sort out just to avoid, even the slightest similarity.

Well here's the thing, both of these applications are great, and have strengths. Both do a V' similar thing so should the way they do it not be similar?

@Phil, sorry but does your comment even relate to this thread or is it just a general observation?

• Advanced Member

I concur. Just dont do the alt zooming thing, I end up with the sculpt jumping all over the place.

In fact with this if it is done, can I suggest a sort of dead zone, with it. So that you hold shift to move view left and its locked. To move to the right view, you have to release shift then press it again and move right, whereapon you cannot change the view again with out releasing and repressing shift.