3DCoat Forums

Dumb UV Question

philnolan3d

I've never had to do this before so the question never came up. Say I have a model made in LightWave (or some other program) and it has no UV maps. I'd like to make the UV maps in 3DC. But how? When you import it the model doesn't show up in the UV room. This seems to go back to the problem of not being able to create multiple UV maps from the Retopo room, except here you can't create a single map.

• Reputable Contributor

Try this out Phil, Load in your model has a reference mesh in the paint room(the model will appear in the retopo room too but you can't retopo it as you know). Next in the retopo room import and snap the same model to the reference model in the retopo room. Now you can retopo your mesh. A work around still but you don't need any uv maps that way.

edit: Simple models work well, I just tried a more complicated one and the same snapping problems I put in my bug post. To a certain distance tolerance the vertices snap fine but when they get close together you wind up with a mangled mess in that area...

• Contributor

When you import it the model doesn't show up in the UV room.(re:Uv room is for Editing not making of Uvs) This seems to go back to the problem of not being able to create multiple UV maps from the Retopo room, except here you can't create a single map.

I absolutely dont understand the underlined part.

I've never had to do this before so the question never came up. Say I have a model made in LightWave (or some other program) and it has no UV maps. I'd like to make the UV maps in 3DC.But how?

If I take that sentence in the literal sense I understand this:

You would like to be able to make uvs in 3DCoat on a model that hasnt any uvs and was modelled externally.

Is that it?

Its so basic that Im not sure if you guys are really discussing about what I think.

I dont understand replies you got either.

But anyway,IF i understood the question correctly here is the answer:

-Import mesh from retopo menu with at least a sphere visible on a voxel layer.

-Press Enter

-When asked:"Do you want imported mesh topology to be snapped to voxel/reference ?"Answer NO

-Mark Seams..Press Unwrap.

:)

Anyway,im sure you guys are talking about something else.

Yes your steps do provide A method for doing it I'm just suggesting that this is not easy or immediately obvious to a new user. Heck, I didn't even think of it at first. Most users would think:

1. Load model into UV room.
  2. Mark seems
  3. Unwrap
  4. Save model

• Contributor

Yes your steps do provide A method for doing it I'm just suggesting that this is not easy or immediately obvious to a new user. Heck, I didn't even think of it at first. Most users would think:

1. Load model into UV room.
  2. Mark seems
  3. Unwrap
  4. Save model

Sorry,I didnt meant "basic" as in "obvious" and my questions were not ironic....I was just really not sure you guys were really talking about that and I was just afraid to give an answer that was off-topic.. :pardon:

I agree Uv room really do feels like a room where you can do Uvs in while the action is all in retopo room .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've been looking for this exact ability in 3DC... thanks ArtMan for sharing the technique... wish it was more straightforward for users not familiar with such tricks... but a solution is a solution :-)