3DCoat Forums

Unity 3 coming soon

Well you can also use the Unity Indie License for free to make a commercial game. Back in November I wrote a tutorial on making a simple Unity environment in LightWave and getting a basic game level started. You can find it in the November LightWave newsletter. The URL changes every month but for now it's here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php?pageNum_monthlynews=3&totalRows_monthlynews=16 (second item from the bottom)

However taking things a couple steps further, Keystone will integrate LightWave perfectly with Unity.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107219

That's amazing, last time i looked into free game engines they were all pretty sketchy, but that was years ago - things have surely moved along!

Lightwave sounds great, i haven't tried it simply because i don't have enough money to buy it so it seemed rather pointless getting the trial. Right now i am just learning Blender and obviously 3D-Coat, but maybe if i progress ok with my modeling i'll have to look into a commercial solution. I'm thinking Silo might be worth a shot, since i don't need any rendering/animation features and it's priced well.

I'm pretty sure they announced that they're no longer updating Silo. Not sure if it's a great choice. I got lucky and got a good deal on LightWave, bought the student version of 7.5 from my school for $300, then 8.0 came out shortly after so I got a free upgrade to a pro license.

Oh thanks for the tip about Silo, i just searched their forum and they are slightly vague about it. Apparently it's still going to be fully supported and they'll continue developement of some kind, but they are also working on other things alongside it - including a game engine ironically!

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16390

I'll have to keep going with Blender for now i think, then look at my options again later, theres so many choices around it's really a nightmare trying to figure out what i need.

See the link I posted earlier. It's a way of really integrating LightWave with Unity. Not only to objects load straight in but also all morphs, UV maps and more are apparently available to work with. There's a video sneak peak in the link.