3DCoat Forums

Switch from CUDA to OpenCL easily with Swan

lucpet

• Advanced Member

please andrew please, OpenCL support for all us Windows users with ATI cards and OSX users too, PLEASE :-)

although I want the GTX 480 coming out, a 600W power draw, in some cases needing a power supply upgrade just to use it is not economical for many users, especially with (in non CUDA test) the GTX testing basically on par with the ATI 5970 in all tests but tessellation... for half the price of the GTX480.. just things to consider IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

...although I want the poser of the GTX 480 coming out, a 600W power draw, in some cases needing a power supply upgrade just to use it is not economical for many users, especially with (in non CUDA test) the GTX testing basically on par with the ATI 5970 in all tests but tessellation... for half the price of the GTX480.. just things to consider IMO.

First I was all excited about GTX 480 but if that really takes 600W from your system, it is too much. I think that my next upgrade will be 6 or 8 core

CPU. What I have red so far, they take only 130-160W.

• Advanced Member

yes, the GTX cards are supposed to top out around 600W!!!!! So please, lets get some OpenCL support(now that the CUDA code can be automatically converted to OpenCL!!!!). Because I would rather get a Radeon 5970 that doesn't short out the fuse box and is HALF the price of the GTX480... I wouldn't be surprised if my power supply couldnt handle another 600W load!

Andrew, OpenCL PLEASE!!!! Nvidia's new cards are a MAJOR power draw for what basically amounts to a tessellation speed gain, and thats it(aside from the CUDA tests that dont exist as of yet AFAIK). Please pardon the redundancy

• 2 weeks later...

I left 3DCoat (sold the license) because voxel sculpting couldn't match up to zbrush - on the mac. But I got a new computer last week (imac i7 ATI card) and after installing win 7 64bit, I put my wife's 3DCoat license on it. 64bit windows 3DC, even without cuda, is amazing compared to the mac 3DCoat. I mean night and day. Maybe it was my mac machine, but wow. Well, my wife gave me her license and I am back toying with 3DCoat. So, if that OpenCL boosts the power of 3DCoat on the mac, or if Andrew gets around to writing 3DC for OS X 64bit that would be awesome.

• Advanced Member

if Andrew gets around to writing 3DC for OS X 64bit that would be awesome.

+1 I've been waiting for this feature since I bought 3DC.

sold your license huh, how did you go about doing that?(if you dont mind me asking)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

http://www.engadget....opencl-support/

The OpenCL dam is bursting; Adobe is going full tilt OpenCL...and it's entering into partnership with AMD. They're saying OpenCL is 27% faster than CUDA.

And here's an important consideration; The AMD Radeon 7970 GPU with 6GB DDR5 RAM is just over $500. The equivalent Nvidia Titan with 6GB DDR5 RAM is just over $1000.

AMD is OpenCL, Nvidia is CUDA and OpenCL

If 3d Coat went Open CL this would mean a lot to its user base in savings. I'd love to say 3d Coat is OpenCL , think I'll buy two or three 7970's with my new computer this summer..