3DCoat Forums

Creative Spark Low

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe it's just something pressing on my mind but lately I just start to work on a sculpt, 2d painting etc. and my brain goes

"Ah, too much work, I think I will just go outside or have a beer."

I know I could just plow ahead anyway but I'm sure I will get some good suggestions here too!

• Advanced Member

I get the best ideas unplanned, unexpected & unforced. Usually on the train to work or home, which is a 40m trip each way.

I love how the brain can 'materialise' the strangest thoughts completely out of no-where.

Personally I am very much lacking in 'at the PC' idea creation.

Other ideas, watch a movie, use StumbleUpon to suggest design links.

Mimic something already made to practice your skills.

Go and revisit something you made a year ago and see how you'd improve it.

Don't forget your loved-ones and real-life stuff. (Guilty as charged here too)

• Advanced Member

I watch a sci-fi movie, watch the news and then a cartoon or two - not necessarily in that order. Then I watch the neighors going in and out, their pets and watch the traffic - people walking.

To quote one the greatest philosophers of all time - Yogi Berra - "You can observe a lot, just by watching." :)

• Advanced Member

Go outside and have a beer! :drinks:

Very few people are creative just for the sake of it. Unless you can earn some money from your work then you shouldn't force yourself to do it.

It's pointless spending 8 hours working on a 3D model only to post a 2D image of it on a forum and have a few people spend a few seconds looking at it and maybe posting a "Nice work!" (if they can be bothered).

There may come a day when 3D software is so powerful that we can produce interesting stuff in just a few minutes, but until then, don't stress yourself.

• Reputable Contributor

Ghostdog, T.H. Rock,WailingMonkey and Splodge, Thanks for your suggestions,links and advice. It was much needed info.

It also caused me to step back and think about the internal reasons I like to create art in the first place...

• Contributor

Ghostdog, T.H. Rock,WailingMonkey and Splodge, Thanks for your suggestions,links and advice. It was much needed info.

It also caused me to step back and think about the internal reasons I like to create art in the first place...

One reason I especially like, is that it helps prevent your brain turning to cheese with advancing age. ;)

I'm in a similar position. I was pretty eager to create many things a few weeks ago, but had to spend the energy on a huge project for someone else, which is great of course. It pays the bills. :D

But now, my energy is drained, it takes time to recharge... To recharge I usually garden (this time'o'year that is), exercise, dance, and watch people (for sketching). Sometimes I go for a bicycle or motorbike ride for a little pleasure cruise (Only telecommute now, so it's all pleasure) around town or out near Mt. Hood National forest and scope the scenery. Other times, like now, I am just pulling out the pad & pencil and doing super quick sketches to get my mind going, this usually gets my blood pumping and my brain churning with all sorts of ideas for projects.

During the winter season, I find my self reading, sketching, playing cards, table top games, watching movies or documentaries, and other such things.

But I tell you, going outside for rest with a beer or cocktail sounds pretty good to me too. :D

• Advanced Member

In a similar position... almost same here.

My suggestion? A beer is nice. Try to stay away from any screen for a while (dvd games TV etc). Find a nice book. Sci-fi? Philip Dick is 'always' my favorite. Fantasy? Well, what about the 'History of the Peloponnesian War' by Thukydides, this is classic, probably the only 'real' historical book and believe me, a great 'fantacy' book in a way. Philosophy? This is more personal but Ludwig Wittgenstein is my favorite here :drinks:

I said 'away' from screen'. OK forget it (LOL) and try to find a 'studio Gibli' production, "whisper of the heart" Its a 2d Japanese animation (not anima style though).

This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisper_of_the_Heart_(film)

For all 3d lovers, he he

• Contributor

I said 'away' from screen'. OK forget it (LOL) and try to find a 'studio Gibli' production, "whisper of the heart" Its a 2d Japanese animation (not anima style though).

For all 3d lovers, he he

I really recommend watching "Whisper_of_the_Heart".

Really good suggestion from Michalis here.

It looks like a standard anime but it is in reality a disguised tutorial about following the path of creation.

It covers everything:from displine and strain to how to deal with lack of inspiration,or the feeling of not progressing..ect

Not a single aspect is neglected.

You also get both a male and female point of view.

Its to prepare children for what awaits them if they choose to be creators/artists but, its good for people of any age really.

Whisper of the Heart= means Inspiration :)

• Contributor

In a similar position... almost same here.

My suggestion? A beer is nice. Try to stay away from any screen for a while (dvd games TV etc). Find a nice book. Sci-fi? Philip Dick is 'always' my favorite. Fantasy? Well, what about the  'History of the Peloponnesian War' by Thukydides, this is classic, probably the only 'real' historical book and believe me, a great 'fantacy' book in a way. Philosophy? This is more personal but Ludwig Wittgenstein is my favorite here :drinks:

For all 3d lovers, he he

I would also recommend Xenophon's "Anabasis" as a "'real' historical book". It describes the journey of Xenophon and 10,000 Greek hoplites fighting journey across Anatolia.

• Advanced Member

I was talking about 'History of the Peloponnesian War' by Thucydides. A famous english translation (Translator: Richard Crawley) in the great funeral speech of Pericles goes like this:

Athenians... "We cultivate refinement without extravagance and knowledge without effeminacy". I don't speak english very well, but I understand how wrong translation is this. "extravagance" he says in front of Acropolis, full of gold these days and all these masterpieces of Feidias. ??? But he just says that they do all these great things been simple as individuals. And then "effeminacy" ???, the ancient greek word is "malakia" we use it even today in greek slag to say someone "asshole" - contemptible. "con" in french. And this makes sense now, isn't it? And it suits fine even in our thread here. Another beer :drinks: