3DCoat Forums

Weta texture paint tool coming soon

geo_n

• Advanced Member

This looks exactly like the kind of speed and brush responsiveness I was hoping to see from 3DCoat. Hope they hurry up and get a Windows version available and I'll be all over it.

Really hope it has as rich a toolset as 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

awesome :]

If they add sculpting in 2.0 this thing will probably set a new bar for industry.

Its strictly a texturing tool, apparently.

Ghib, from what i've read it has all the tools i regularly use for texturing in photoshop.

* fully customizable brush engine

* paint through and clone brush (between layers and textures)

* smear/drag brush

* paint canvas transform, grid warp and free-form pin warp

* blur and sharpen

* advanced healing brush for seamless removal and duplication of texture detail

* overall grading and high end filtering

• Advanced Member

Currently it's just a texturing tool, but the future isn't written in stone ;)

Its strictly a texturing tool, apparently.

Ghib, from what i've read it has all the tools i regularly use for texturing in photoshop.

• Advanced Member

Currently it's just a texturing tool, but the future isn't written in stone ;)

I just hope they produce a kick arse texturing app.. I couldn't care less if it had sculpting ability just give us photoshop in 3d PLLEEAASE!

Fast Brushes

Layers

Layer Adjustments

Layer Masks

Layer Blending modes

Layer Groups

Decent Selection modes

Easy copy paste

Access to Channels

etc etc etc..

• Advanced Member

I thought Mudbox was doing pretty good, I loved it.

Rumor mill was they werent making enough cash to develop at the speed that was needed.

To be honest its flourished since AD got it. The texturing workflow while lacking tooling is my favorite to use. Being able to paint on multiple maps is essential to me.. really wish andrew would address that issue.

• Advanced Member

I just hope they produce a kick arse texturing app.. I couldn't care less if it had sculpting ability just give us photoshop in 3d PLLEEAASE!

Fast Brushes

Layers

Layer Adjustments

Layer Masks

Layer Blending modes

Layer Groups

Decent Selection modes

Easy copy paste

Access to Channels

etc etc etc..

What do you know about blender? Its hard to learn due to bad documentation but do you know that all these are possible there? Its exactly my workflow. And its not an expensive app...

• Advanced Member

What do you know about blender? Its hard to learn due to bad documentation but do you know that all these are possible there? Its exactly my workflow. And its not an expensive app...

Admittedly I will install Blender every so often (usually each point release) and have a look but I've never really gone into it in any great depth. I've always found Blender UI to be a bit awkward but the latest is supposed to be a lot better in that respect. Might give it another go.

• Advanced Member

Admittedly I will install Blender every so often (usually each point release) and have a look but I've never really gone into it in any great depth. I've always found Blender UI to be a bit awkward but the latest is supposed to be a lot better in that respect. Might give it another go.

is supposed to be but its not. :rolleyes:

v.249b is still the stable one. V2.5alpha2 64bit build is good for sculpt (millions of vertices) and rendering (extremely fast). You can have as many sets of UVs as you like and just clone from one to the other uv-map, using all the photoshop style mixers(3d painting). Is this your wish list? then just keep the map you want.

• Advanced Member

. You can have as many sets of UVs as you like and just clone from one to the other uv-map, using all the photoshop style mixers(3d painting). Is this your wish list? then just keep the map you want.

I saw demos of this. how is it good to have to map textures to the model before you can paint on it(am i understanding it right?). its a useful workflow for other jobs but not texture painting. it kind of reminds me of painting terrains in the 90's.

• Advanced Member

I saw demos of this. how is it good to have to map textures to the model before you can paint on it(am i understanding it right?). its a useful workflow for other jobs but not texture painting. it kind of reminds me of painting terrains in the 90's.

Were do you want to paint? You need a canvas right? You need UVs and a blank texture, 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 map. Then you can paint on 3d model, clone from one to another or clone in the same texture (normal direction) etc etc. Can you paint in 3d coat without assigning UVs and textures? (ok ok lets wait a few more months) Can you do it in zbrush without having good topology and some millions of faces? And you always have to bake on an existing map sooner or later. I really cant see the point on your post. If someone wants to work with layers then needs to assign some layers. Texture maps is the same isn't it? "(am i understanding it right?)" No, I think not, you probably misunderstood something. There's a big confusion with blender tutorials anyway. Its a good reason not to get involved there.

• Advanced Member

Were do you want to paint? You need a canvas right? You need UVs and a blank texture, 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 map. Then you can paint on 3d model, clone from one to another or clone in the same texture (normal direction) etc etc. Can you paint in 3d coat without assigning UVs and textures? (ok ok lets wait a few more months) Can you do it in zbrush without having good topology and some millions of faces? And you always have to bake on an existing map sooner or later. I really cant see the point on your post. If someone wants to work with layers then needs to assign some layers. Texture maps is the same isn't it? "(am i understanding it right?)" No, I think not, you probably misunderstood something. There's a big confusion with blender tutorials anyway. Its a good reason not to get involved there.

This is the workflow that seems so odd to me, i know you can brush project with flat colours and procedural masks. Atleast 2.5 has camera projection

http://www.blendercookie.com/2009/06/18/texturing-with-projection-painting/

My point is this workflow is crap when you can use something like a material in 3D coat or a photo projection in mudbox.

• Advanced Member

This is the workflow that seems so odd to me, i know you can brush project with flat colours and procedural masks. Atleast 2.5 has camera projection

http://www.blendercookie.com/2009/06/18/texturing-with-projection-painting/

My point is this workflow is crap when you can use something like a material in 3D coat or a photo projection in mudbox.

Bad tutorial indeed, it comes from old versions. Camera projection comes from 2.49x too. Using deferent UV maps makes possible to 'project' textures with extreme accuracy. Even so i prefer to project textures in 3d coat now. Its more artistic. Then I can edit them in blender.

wow Mari is going to be actually awesome, especially performance wise ! It has a very nice UI and features IMO.

Also they sad ts mainly texturing, but that the future could bring other things.

I think 3D Coat development should insist heavily onto performance speed, both in sculpting, voxels and painting.