3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 3.0 windows pro license for sale

SonK

• Advanced Member

Well, its been great using 3DCoat for painting but i'm going to move to the Foundry "Mari" - so i'm saling my license. Asking price 200 USD, paypal only. Send me an email if you interested(first come first serve).

naka_256 at hotmail dot com

• Advanced Member

From what I can gather, Mari isn't even released yet. What do you plan to use in the mean time?

all of my freelance work do not require texturing :) Mari windows demo will be release in weeks and retail will be this year AFAIK.

• Advanced Member

I've heard that mari cant bake from one UV to another, have you heard anything of that Sonk?

Item still up for sale, when it's not i'll post and update. I know for a fact that it can't bake to a different UV - i ask the developer that very question. Mari has its roots in the film industry, baking to a different UV is more of a game industry requirement.I'm sure they'll add this feature once more game studio adopt Mari.

• Advanced Member

"I know for a fact that it can't bake to a different UV"

Zbrush can do this, with some loss of detail (to tell the whole truth)

Blender can do it too, a little tricky but it works. I'm sure that some other apps can do it too.

• Advanced Member

yeah, I use blender and ZB to do it myself when down-res'ing for realtime work sometimes. I'm sure its a priority for Mari at some point in its development. Great to see that they confirmed a MAC and Windows release is in the roadmap, not just linux. Considering how great Their other Linux apps perform, MAri should be stellar in *Nix.

Yeah, that is pretty astounding really. So astounding though, I am pretty sure I would never use a high res image like that on anything.

How much RAM would one image like that require? I don't have an uber workstation for something like that! :o

• Advanced Member

actually AKAIF mari can load in and work with TONS of 8k textures at a time, while only loading into ram the details that are viewable at the current zoom level, so its not loading a full 32k texture into active ram at a single time, just the exact detail level needed to render smoothly at the current zoom level. I've seen some testimonials and images of Mari workflows with hundreds of 2k textures(with multiple layers for each texture!) on a system with about 1 gig of memory on the gpu, and 5 gigs of system ram.

Mari also boasts as one of its main features "over 100 gigabyte geometry and texture data sets on a single model without slowing down artist interaction and workflow" using system specs like i described above, all I can say is wow, that is true attention to optimization and performance.

That is absolutely astounding IMO.

EDIT: from the mari press release:

* interactively handles very large 3D model data sets, scaling to over 1 million polygons

* supports large textures, up to 32K x 32K pixels (normally, single textures never need to be this large)

* handles hundreds and thousands of textures per model, over many layers

* provides single- or multi- patch UV texture map management

* supports multiple models or model instances in a single scene

* handles animated geometry and animated textures - floating point, 16-bit or 8-bit textures

* fully customizable brush engine

* paint through and clone brush (between layers and textures)

* smear/drag brush

* paint canvas transform, grid warp and free-form ‘pin’ warp

* blur and sharpen

* advanced ‘healing’ brush for seamless removal and duplication of texture detail

* overall grading and high end filtering

and for 500euros, thats actually within the budget of some small production houses(or even some individuals). I honestly would expect a MUCH higher price tag for an app with this feature set and proven track record.

If you paint textures in your workflow, and want to have your jaw hit the floor, check out this video:

high-res video

http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep078.mov

low-res video

http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep078.m4v

Well, I am not one to buy into a program that I can't test fully. Words are words, and everything you just posted seems much too good to be true - So I'll believe it when I can actually get my hands on it and test it out.

• Reputable Contributor

It seems a lot like Mudbox during it's initial release...powerful in one key area, but very starved of many features you come to expect from an application in it's category, and thus I don't see it immediately replacing Bodypaint, ZB or MB anytime real soon, as it's benefits are largely aimed at a relatively small percentage of the overall market (film work).

• Advanced Member

well, I'm signed up to test the beta, cant wait. As the foundry really turned a certain compositor into an industry standard, and as the main engineer who developed MAri is now heading MAri development at the Foundry, there is a good likelihood this is going to be the only best 3d paint tool to date. we'll see, oh wait we have seen, on avatar...

On a side note the recent ZBrush beta video release finally looks like they've added in paint layers(amongst other features). finally.

• Reputable Contributor

well, I'm signed up to test the beta, cant wait. As the foundry really turned a certain compositor into an industry standard, and as the main engineer who developed MAri is now heading MAri development at the Foundry, there is a good likelihood this is going to be the only best 3d paint tool to date. we'll see, oh wait we have seen, on avatar...

On a side note the recent ZBrush beta video release finally looks like they've added in paint layers(amongst other features). finally.

Lightwave was used at some point in Avatar's production, but that doesn't get me all hot and bothered for it all of a sudden...not when you count in all the other applications that had a bigger role in the same movie, and were used on numerous other blockbusters and games. I personally don't care to take on yet another application and have to learn it's in's and out's...not when I have sufficient tools for the job on hand.

• Advanced Member

For me 3DCoat's painting and app links (which might allow for other paint apps now with the new SDK/Code thing that got added) would be enough but if you just use it for texturing models but i was thinking why not make a feature request or a post about where you think the texturing in 3DC needs more improvements. Not that i have anything against using multiple apps or selling licenses as that is their choice but since Andrew seems very happy to add user requests maybe he would want to add the missing features you really need in also. That said i am sure Mari will be a great app although other than have been used in Avatar and some key features i don't know much about it.

• Advanced Member

I could use many of the features Mari boasts, as the only app that comes close IMO is MudBox or bodypaint. The other 3d paint apps are good, but dont appear to be built to paint on multiple objects simultaneously with that many 8k textures(or greater). For me that would allow for a lot more creative freedom when compared to my current tools(especially painting on multiple objects with many uvs at once finally). IF ZBrush4 get its stuff together and ever comes out(fixing space and displacement issues), then FOR ME it'll be a tough decision as to go with MB2011 or Mari.

Many tools were used on Avatar, many many tools, but only one of them allows for what MAri accomplishes(by a big longshot).

maybe I'm reading the specs of mari improperly, but to me, I dont know of another app that will hold a candle to it once its released(and a few minor updates are made to it).

• Advanced Member

I'm really curious to see what Andrew does once Mari is available. He may yet have a few tricks up his sleeve. I'll probably give it a try at work when it is available, but it'll probably be a long wait till there's a mac version I can use at home. Looking forward to the release regardless, as it will probably set a new bar for everyone else to reach for and that's always good.

• Advanced Member
it will probably set a new bar for everyone else to reach for and that's always good.

+1 I think that's the key point IMO

and on a side note, I dont care that it was used on Avatar, but I do care that in certain productions like that one was able to handle hundreds of 2k textures and layers in realtime.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

well, I'm signed up to test the beta, cant wait.

When does the beta start? My 3DCoat license is still for sale until otherwise stated - i will miss the retopology tools in 3DCoat though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I hope for mods don't mind me bumping as extremely old thread, I really haven't used my license of 3DCoat since then and probably won't anytime soon. I'd really like to buy a copy of Zbrush again. So asking price for my 3DCoat license is 249 USD, payment method is either a check or paypal. If you are interested send me an email: naka_256 at hotmail dot com.