3DCoat Forums

Painting height and depth together

philnolan3d

I was watching this tutorial that was intended for zbrush, but I figured I could do the same thing in 3DC, however if there is a way I can't figure out how.

The tutorial is on creating a Brush in Photoshop that will paint stitches, like with thread in clothing, so you have holes that are indented and threads that are raised. Basically it's a brush with "zero level is gray", so that black is depth and white is height.

You can see the tutorial free here but you have to create an account:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/168/Free-ZBrush-Tutorials (click "How to Create An Alpha for Clothing Seams")

• Advanced Member

Isn't there a setting for exporting that has a choice of those settings? There should be a way to do that as a brush setting. That's the way bump maps work, isn't it? 50% gray is no change.

I'd like to use that Roll function mentioned in the video. When I paint with some alphas I can't brush like that without it becoming a mess.

• Advanced Member

The subject (and request) of a pen curve editor has been out there for over 2 years now...

and it would be great for at least 3 separate rooms: Paint, Sculpt, and Voxel.

It may not seem all that 'whizz-bang', but it would allow for quite a bit of extra control

in the creation of our own pens.

Add in more controls over how the 'soft stroke' dampens strokes and we would have some new

abilities for precise mechanical hard lines/edges with our sculpting/painting...but it's

probably going to take more than 1 or 2 users bringing it up, I guess. (shrugs)

• Advanced Member

hi

i tried with a brush like the one(a bit simpler)but cant upload that psd.

1- tried to use it as strips on voxel but i cant. is it normal that you cant use any strips with voxels??

2-it worked more or less in imported image plane and as a brush with black down and white up.

3-im not an expert on this but today 3dc seems more confusing than normally.