3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Advanced Member

The previous versions of the autoretopo were much better(from a stability point of view).

The last(3.3.11)crashes everytime I try to do an autoretopo with strokes,I was able to do a remeshing only with a default sphere(without strokes),but the results are completely wrong(it creates a sphere with a lot of poles,a correct retopo for a sphere should reduce the number of poles to 2 at last,north pole and south pole)

Maybe there is some problem with this release as in previous release I never had a crash trying to quadrangulate.

EDIT:

Looking at the message from Lucky_1, I also have symmetry enabled.

Hi Andrew, thanks for the new update :)

v3.3.11 32 bit no cuda// crashes hard when using autoretopolize with symmetry enabled - everything goes fine until the message

"creating mesh" pops up and then -bang- 3dc is gone, hello desktop. It works without symmetry enabled.But this is useless for my workflow.

I've seen some users reported a black mesh after import...I've this too and the culprit is the default grey shader(= black)

I've attached the !!crash!!.dmp zipped

Thanks

Luke

!!crash!!.zip

• Advanced Member

v3.3.11 32 bit no cuda// crashes hard when using autoretopolize with symmetry enabled - everything goes fine until the message

"creating mesh" pops up and then -bang- 3dc is gone, hello desktop. It works without symmetry enabled.But this is useless for my workflow.

I've just tested and I got the same results using symmetry.

Quadrangulating a default voxel cube is producing very strange topology on two sides.

128194560182.jpg

But thankfully I can override it by using the nice strokes feature! :)

Set smoothing in first dialog to 2 and you will get good result.

I am still tweaking what parameters are better for default. It looks like smoothing=0 is not the best case.

I've seen some users reported a black mesh after import...I've this too and the culprit is the default grey shader(= black)

I've attached the !!crash!!.dmp zipped

Thanks

Luke

The problem with symmetry is that now it works only in global space. So if your object is not symmetrical in global space it should work.

Hi Andrew,

"

The problem with symmetry is that now it works only in global space. So if your object is not symmetrical in global space it should work."

Can you tell what steps I should take to get it to work, I tried autoret. on several objects and 3dc crashed on them all.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

"

The problem with symmetry is that now it works only in global space. So if your object is not symmetrical in global space it should work."

Can you tell what steps I should take to get it to work, I tried autoret. on several objects and 3dc crashed on them all.

Thanks

Please send me the model to support.

• Advanced Member

It's not clear to me if it's possible,currently, quadrangulate objects that are symmetrical in the x axis.

With symmetry enabled,it crashes.

Without,it doesn't but the results are not symmetrical(maybe is due to the fact that stroke guides are not perfectly symmetrical but how to do symmetrical(perfect I mean) strokes?)

• Advanced Member

When 3DC 4.0 will be out ? 3.0 is over a year old.

We need 3DC with new major features and improvements like fast paint/bump engine,good AO bake,CC subdivision support in retopo room,new tools in retopo room,updated UI without glitches etc .... feature request forums is fully loaded with some great and creative requests , some are very old or persistent yet they aren't finding their way into 3DC, are they reserved for 4.0 ?

• Reputable Contributor

We need 3DC with new major features and improvements like fast paint/bump engine,good AO bake,CC subdivision support in retopo room,new tools in retopo room,updated UI without glitches etc .... feature request forums is fully loaded with some great and creative requests , some are very old or persistent yet they aren't finding their way into 3DC, are they reserved for 4.0 ?

There is a ton of things I'd like to see in a lot of software....since when does it all have to happen inside one release? 3DC has grown in leaps and bounds...enough that it should already be worth a 4.0 release. There was MAJOR work done to Voxel Sculpting recently that would make it worth the upgrade alone...and to have a major overhauled UV toolset (last fall), PTex (literally allowing most users to skip the UV process altogether in many cases), Multi-threadeding, Multi-Res, Cache to Disk etc in Voxels....

That's more than any other vendor, so what gives?

When 4.0 comes out I think it's safe to say it will be just like any other update (except paid) it's a mile stone just like 3.0 was. For example Voxels were technically a 3.0 feature but most of us were using it for months before that.

• Advanced Member

Yeah i agree, version number does not matter much. Basically Taurus just wants some of the more popular requests added, this is not bad but people have to remember that there is only 1 (i think) dev of 3DC. Maybe the development team will expand at some point so that there are more features and bug fixes etc but i think Andrew has done an amazing job so far.

• Advanced Member

To be honest I dont think 3dCoat needs any more developers, have you seen Andrews speed compared to other developers? It takes them months sometimes to implement the most simplest of things.

He knows the code inside and out, teaching someone else to understand it would take alot of time. More people does not neccessarily equate to faster development.

• Advanced Member
To be honest I dont think 3dCoat needs any more developers, have you seen Andrews speed compared to other developers? It takes them months sometimes to implement the most simplest of things.

He knows the code inside and out, teaching someone else to understand it would take alot of time. More people does not neccessarily equate to faster development.

While it may take some time, not having any kind of backup is not a good business model - what if Andrew needs an extended holiday? Should development on 3DCoat stop?

Andrew's business should be able to continue to function without him being there 24/7.

• Advanced Member

Totally! He's by far the fastest coder on the planet!

..and he deserves a medal for putting up with us lot! :)

We love you, Andrew!! :drinks:

• Advanced Member

I agree, from a production standpoint you never, ever use something with a single point of failure. What if, God forbid, Andrew had to deal with a family crisis while attempting to support production users? I would not wish that on him or anyone, the stress would be killer.

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

While it may take some time, not having any kind of backup is not a good business model - what if Andrew needs an extended holiday? Should development on 3DCoat stop?

:unsure:

Try sending a bug report to Pixologic or Autodesk. Do you think you'll get a fix a week later? :nea:

Seems some of us may be starting to take Andrew for granted. He owes us nothing. Every update is a gift..

• Applink Developer

I almost wish that I could pay more for Andrew. Maybe system like this every main( 2.0,3.0,4.0) upgrade you have to pay for and every half

year upgrade (2.5,3.5,4.5) you could pay for if you want it (maybe half from upgrade price). Andrew has doing so amazing job so giving my money for him

it's easy.

I have said this before but I really would love to see a competision here. The price would not have to be anythig huge. It would give some space

for Andrew to write 3d-coat while we are trying to sculpt and win the first place. The compitision even could be made in teams (2,3,4) randomly selected

from forum. It could be a lot of fun and...well that's it. I hope we can have it some day...

• Advanced Member

I almost wish that I could pay more for Andrew. Maybe system like this every main( 2.0,3.0,4.0) upgrade you have to pay for and every half

year upgrade (2.5,3.5,4.5) you could pay for if you want it (maybe half from upgrade price). Andrew has doing so amazing job so giving my money for him

it's easy.

I have said this before but I really would love to see a competision here. The price would not have to be anythig huge. It would give some space

for Andrew to write 3d-coat while we are trying to sculpt and win the first place. The compitision even could be made in teams (2,3,4) randomly selected

from forum. It could be a lot of fun and...well that's it. I hope we can have it some day...

this sounds like a nice idea

• Advanced Member

Giving money is never easy, ask family members who own you money ;) I think artists and forums members shouldn't decided how much will be paid for 3DC coat.And donation button is just silly.If you charge too much you may actually make less because it will keep some people off.I asked if 3DC 4.0 is on the horizon with new stuff and you people get into business decisions how much should 3DC cost, donations ? Pilgim is a professional company not charity, let's talk about thread derailing ...