Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

916 posts in this topic

ahh I see :rolleyes:

@Andrew Autoropo doesn't retopo all snakes properly,if snake has links which doesn't touch only first link will be done,it happens in snakes where links dont touch each other.It would be cool if only first link in any snake would be autoretopo other could be instanced,so it would be possible uvmap one link and this uvs would be transfered to all other links.UVmapping all links or even copying uvs to them would be too much work.

linksu.jpg

In fact ... if they are multiple voxels volumes not-connected (like you did some axial symmetry) only one will be autoretopo.

links2.jpg

It should work like like that

-autorepo

-first 'link' is autoretopo

-uvmap it

- and here new feature is needed - create instances of uvmaped autoretopo first object in same places where 'missing' links should be.The whole point of snakes or axial symmetry is that you have objects in some very specific position.They should share same UVs because they are duplicated objects in most cases.

Phil, check the Twitter. It's the feature not yet there but will come very soon.

Thanks, that's funny I'm reading Twitter all day I don't know how I missed that. lol

Taurus:

Right now, the AUTOPO algorithm only works on connected objects, and, if there are disconnected objects, it chooses the largest one to work it's magic on. Andrew is fixing this, (or, rather, modifying this behaviour).

Greg Smith

That would be great if it would be done.

But it also will need some kind of UV-instance or copy that would copy UVs from one links to all the others, uvmapping 100 links wouldn't be fun at all or even several objects mirrored by axial symmetry

Not sure if this is on topic sorry if not, but the add/split command in the retopo room for me I cant split anymore with it. It just snaps to verts. I dont know if its a setting or something, if it is I cannot find it.

edit: Also the points and faces tool, cant add faces, I can manipulate the points but not add the faces.

I believe if you decrease the brush radius and zoom in you can get around the snapping.

Did you try right clicking when the system-proposed face appears under your cursor?

@dirtbot, Yeah I found that out, stupid me, ignore that post.

Actually im not quite sure but have seen on youtube, that in zbrush unwrapped model also could be tweaked and threated with brushes just like any 3d tools in flattened mode. But have not tried that approach with UV master... I am lazy(

Hey, that sounds great, I hadn't heard of that before :) Will sure try it, thanks for the hint.

I am agree of course, but in practice you will often approach details wich needed to be cut-off for better unwraping horns, pimps... noses and ears are also annoying you know it...

Sure, if a visual seam is to be expected or won't matter, it's actually smarter to add the UV seam, to make the UV islands more relaxed. I should have said "try to keep to one island per continuous material type".

No, when in texture editing mode there is no option in windows-popups to see the uv preview, it is useful some times to see the flattened version of a texture and paint on it, also some times I prefer to tweak a bit UVs to match the painted details rather then to redraw/clone them on texture.

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view. :good:

BTW Andrew, as we're talking about not-real-time painting performance, would you mind checking this thread (if you didn't yet):

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6418&st=0&gopid=48446entry48446

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view. :good:

I agree that's amazing, but I'm curious what you mean by "semi realtime". The painting always been fully real time for me going back to the first version I bought early in the 2.x era, only the displacement had a slight delay (when you let go of the brush), but now that's real time too.

Updated to 3.3.14 (Win only, Mac & Linux - soon)

- I made possibility to upload turnables automatically, very easy- see example - http://bit.ly/d3H3rc

- non-connected objects will be supported for Auto-retopo.

- Falloff will work in eraser tool too

- I made nice models preview in Merge/spline tools instead of old ugly file tree. I made this maily because I am about to provide big library of models in merge/spline tool and it will be just impossible to use it without nice previews. This is how it looks now - http://bit.ly/ds5R2I

- I disabled possibility to transform volume in proxy mode from surface to voxels to prevent loses. It changes nothing in workflow but prevents random loses while working with proxy.

- It will be possible to smooth UV islands edges in UV room in brush mode.

- Incorrect work of Split and Cut&Clone on some objects fixed (dense objects with high Split Border value).

- There is new and useful item in VoxTree RMB menu - Merge visible

- VoxTree/Shaders will be accesible in render room too

- It will be possible to smooth UV islands edges in UV room in brush mode.

very good! :drinks:

- non-connected objects will be supported for Auto-retopo.

it needs more polishing :

- not all duplicated objects are autoretopo

- mesh broken in some objects

3dcc.jpg

That's really weird, I've always got that option pinned on my layout. Maybe you're not finding it 'coz you're looking at the windows-popups menu item, un-obviously enough this specific window is found on textures->texture uv editor. It's one of the most amazing things in 3DCoat actually, allows you to check normal, diffuse and specular maps, and even paint straight on the flattened UV while you see it updating in (semi) real-time in the 3D view.

thanks, finally I found that flattened texture preview, my fault I looked for it in a wrong place lately.

I got some serious problems in the latest build using the retopology tools. Can't create quads using Point And Faces tool, and Strokes snaps to already existing vertex and in general works a little crazy. I'm on my 32 bit laptop. Anyone else?

I got some serious problems in the latest build using the retopology tools. Can't create quads using Point And Faces tool, and Strokes snaps to already existing vertex and in general works a little crazy. I'm on my 32 bit laptop. Anyone else?

-> http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6367&view=findpost&p=48465

- I disabled possibility to transform volume in proxy mode from surface to voxels to prevent loses. It changes nothing in workflow but prevents random loses while working with proxy.

Aaaaah, thank you, I can now use the proxy function without worrying of losing hours of work because I acidently pushed enter by habit (surface to voxel) :)

I'm curious what you mean by "semi realtime". The painting always been fully real time for me going back to the first version I bought early in the 2.x era, only the displacement had a slight delay (when you let go of the brush), but now that's real time too.

Well Phil, last time I've tried it (it's been a couple months and considering 3DC's dev speed this is a long time :)) there was a sensible delay between the UV-viewport stroke (which's 100% realtime) and the stroke actually showing up in the 3D view. With well laid out UVs it's quite handy (for instance, to get perfectly aligned color stripes) to brush on the UV view while you keep looking at the 3D-view result, that's why I keep both views tiled side-by-side all the time in the paint room. Anyways, maybe my experience it's just another side effect of the sluggishness of the paint tools in general.

If there are no points in pen then you will be able to add quad.

Yes, it was changed in all retopo tools to get better control over points picking. Agree, it may be unusual on the first glance, but if you know this rule... it will help a lot to get better control.

All this "brush radius controlling pinpoint operations" concept is kinda disorienting tbh. I found it by mere accident and it has led to needless additional frustration - having to increase and decrease brush size just to carry out this or that operation. I've also read a couple comments from users that think the software is bugged because of it. It makes little-to-no sense when you're using a single-item-picking operation and have to watch your brush size. Worst case currently is when you try to split an edge and have to lower the brush size until it fits the middle of the edge to pull it off. Now, I thought points-and-faces wasn't even working, since I couldn't for the life of me use it to create quads while working yesterday, then I read here that it's just a case of reducing the brush size again? Oh my.. :( It's not as if we can keep the brush size to one, since we generally need to smooth and brush-nudge poly areas. I know the previous behavior was very inaccurate and shaky, but there must be a better option. Maybe a toggle between both? :unsure:

At least it I know it wasnt just me being stupid now. Yeah I think it might be better if it just had a slight radius round the center of the brush where it jumps to the vert instead of being dependant of the brush size. I think Wings3d and Silo has that sort of behaviour.

All this "brush radius controlling pinpoint operations" concept is kinda disorienting tbh. I found it by mere accident and it has led to needless additional frustration - having to increase and decrease brush size just to carry out this or that operation. I've also read a couple comments from users that think the software is bugged because of it. It makes little-to-no sense when you're using a single-item-picking operation and have to watch your brush size.

I was one of those users, using the Strokes tool the stroke would snap to any geometry that fell inside the brush radius. I figured this was a bug and reported it. It would be a pain to check the brush size every time I use this tool.

I was testing the new turntable tool and noticed the same thing I noticed when I was rendering them out myself. When you render animation it is extremely slow. For example with my current model the real time render or just hitting the Render button without real time takes about 20 seconds before it looks good. However with animation or the new turntable tool it's about 2 - 2.5 minutes per frame and that's with the number of rays set just high enough to look nice. It's also very difficult to get out of it. I could sit here hitting Esc. repeatedly for a good 10 minutes before it eventually stops.

At least it I know it wasnt just me being stupid now. Yeah I think it might be better if it just had a slight radius round the center of the brush where it jumps to the vert instead of being dependant of the brush size. I think Wings3d and Silo has that sort of behaviour.

Yeah...in order to make clean up less of a hassle with trouble spots, usually when relaxing or subdividing the Retopo mesh, I asked Andrew if he could enable us to select a vertex anywhere on the mesh. In Max, Maya, etc...people coming from these programs expect to be able to select verts from any angle (with the option to disable selection of backfacing elements). So the answer was to allow a vert within a given distance of the cursor to be selectable, no matter where it is on the mesh. The way it was happened to be a major PITA when trying to clean up the occasional rats nesting that would occur (especially on relatively dense meshes). Many times you'd have to fight with the program to find an angle where you could get to the stray vertices. You still can't seem to be able to select a vert that dips beneath the voxel model. You have to turn the voxel object's visibility off, first. At least we got the Vox Tree in the Retopo Room to do that more quickly.

So if Andrew can make that based on a fixed distance from the center of the cursor, that could perhaps fix the problem. That way it's not dependent on brush radius

I was testing the new turntable tool and noticed the same thing I noticed when I was rendering them out myself. When you render animation it is extremely slow. For example with my current model the real time render or just hitting the Render button without real time takes about 20 seconds before it looks good. However with animation or the new turntable tool it's about 2 - 2.5 minutes per frame and that's with the number of rays set just high enough to look nice. It's also very difficult to get out of it. I could sit here hitting Esc. repeatedly for a good 10 minutes before it eventually stops.

I tried, but speed of rendering is the same if I rendering animation or rendering manually...

Try to render turnable (animation) while being in render room.

And it could be goo to get the model to reproduce the problem.