3DCoat Forums

incredible program

awnold

Hey been using 3dcoat recently to automatically make UVs, non-organic stuff, after using it in the past for pixel painting and seeing everything else this app can do im just really amazed that anyone could make this program, thanks Andrew for this incredible work. Its just mind blowing. I mean many of the features of 3dc are not even industry standard, just invented. incredible..

I agree. Andrew has something very special here. :) I'm happy he takes a more interesting and unique path with his designs. Of course, over time some of them will mature and adapt a more intuitive work flow as we're seeing right now with voxels. It is also a pleasure to watch this application grow into something so unique, so powerful and yet, so easy to use.

+1

Starting out with voxels and moving to retopo felt really fluent. Taking that retopo mesh and UV mapping it is giving me some problems though... it seemed to work the first time, but now I can't get anywhere. Alot of the tuts assume some mesh to start with... could someone point me to a tut that goes from sculpt to retopo (so no mesh in paint and UV areas yet) and takes that retopo mesh and brings it over with manual UV's? most I found skipped a part I needed.. wee bit of help appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor

+1

Starting out with voxels and moving to retopo felt really fluent. Taking that retopo mesh and UV mapping it is giving me some problems though... it seemed to work the first time, but now I can't get anywhere. Alot of the tuts assume some mesh to start with... could someone point me to a tut that goes from sculpt to retopo (so no mesh in paint and UV areas yet) and takes that retopo mesh and brings it over with manual UV's? most I found skipped a part I needed.. wee bit of help appreciated.

I'm not real clear about what it is you are asking, but you retopo your voxel model, and then you mark your seams and unwrap from inside the Retopo Room...it has it's own UV tools. It's mostly like the one in the UV Room, but a bit lighter on features. Once you've unwrapped your model, go to the Retopo menu and click "Merge To...." wherever it is you want to go with the model. Once you're in the Paint Room, you can use the UV Room to tweak your UV's further if needed.

The UV Room is essentially there for models that are already in the Paint Room. I wish it wasn't split up like this, but it works...so, I don't have any real issue with it.

, and then you mark your seams and unwrap from inside the Retopo Room...it has it's own UV tools.

That is exactly what I did, but I ended up with really bizarre UV's. (thin lines at the edge) It worked the very first time I tried though but ever after it really didn't work. Countless reloading etc didn't help. Apparantly that is the way though so I'll try again with a fresh reboot and a dance around the room, maybe it works again.

thanks